Windy City Wheat - Chicago Beer Company

Windy City WheatWindy City Wheat

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Today's forecast...Windy! A Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with honey and spices.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-07-2010)

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured this cloudy, golden brew from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass, noted a quickly dissipated 1/2 inch head that left a little white on top while I drank this beer, but no lacing to speak of. Very little aromatics, I had trouble getting anything other than the grain in the nose. Tasted clean and crisp, with the wheat front and center, some grassy flavors in the finish.. Very light in the mouth, an easy drinking beer.

All in all, I'd have to say this is a beer made for summer.

Found this bottle in local liquor store.

I never knew this brewery existed! Color was almost clearish yellow with generous white head. Not as cloudy as I would have liked, but still nice to look at. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Smell and taste was wheaty as you would expect.

Overall it's definitely not the best example of this style, and way better beers can be had. Low abv, easy to drink. I could see why many people don't like this one, but to me it's "good", not great. I'd buy it again.

4.05/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: Very lemony and cloudy white look. Head goes flat quick due to acid I guess.

Smell: Lemons, bananas, cloves, and bubblegum. Pretty standard...and good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Same as smell. Mouthfeel is pretty yeasty and refreshing.

Drinkability: A great witbier, and a summer one at that.

Overall: See drinkability.

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a pale gold color with a one-finger, white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of lemon, yeast and spices. There was a subtle fruity aroma.

T - Mostly lemon and wheat. There was a touch of spiciness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and fairly smooth. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - I knew this was a gimmick when I ordered this - a beer that's made to look like its unique to Chicago. However, it was one of two beers at the bar that I had not had before. It was okay. A nice easy drinking beer before the Cubs game.

1.73/5  rDev -46.4%

Blind beer #6 This beer was served in a pint glass after a quick smell.

A- 3.0 A cloudy effervesent goldenen body. The head is white and quickly resolved itself.

S- 2.0 Just not feeling this beer. This beer has a bland peppered lemon aroma. I could live with bland but it smells like someone washed their feet in it.

T- 1.5 For sure not feeling this beer. Cloves and a brief lemon flavor hit my palate and leave me hanging. Doesnt taste terrible but its not really doing much for me either.

M- 2.0 The body of the beer is light but not thin. Carbonation seems to work well for the beer.

O- 1.5 I could drink this beer. But why bother?

The reveal: Chi Town Windy City Wheat Belgian White. This is in a class of why bother beers for me. I love me some Hoegardden, Celis and Whirl Wind Wit. This seems to be in the dumbed down class of beers like Blue Moon. Oddly enough I am sure if you liked Blue Moon this would be the next thing.

Thanks Phelps for the first kill shot. At least I hop this was intended as a killer.

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle drank out of my weizen glass. never heard of this company before. the bottle came in a six pack for $8.99 at the local grocery store.

A- the pour yields a hazy golden colored body with a small bright white head on top. the head has average retention and leaves behind a few small spots of lacing.

S- the smell is very heavy on the clove with a little bit of coriander shining through as well. the malt smell is pretty weak, with a little bit of cereal grain. there is also a touch of yeast. not what i was expecting at all.

T- the taste starts out with more of the cereal grains that i could smell and is quickly followed up by yeast. the taste is also very heavy on the clove with a lesser amount of coriander. some honey like sweetness throughout.

M- the body is on the thin side. the carbonation seems about right.

O- this isnt one of the better examples of the style. i dont think ill be picking this one up again. there are many readily available ones that i like much more out there.

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Saw this in the local grocery store and decided that I needed to try it. The color was a bit cloudy by golden. There was a white head that left sime lacing that eventually dissappeared. The aroma was mostly grain..hints of citrus and clove. The taste was similar to most belium white ales...a lil spice that leans towards clove, but with a good citrus balance. Mouthfeel was fine could drinl 3-4 before tiring on the beer.

4.65/5  rDev +44%

Picked up a 6pk at Binny's and I am a big fan of this new Belgian White. I met the owner at a tasting event and he has a lot of passion for the beer - it's 2 brothers running the show - one is a brewmaster and one is the sales team. Althought they are contract brewed in Wisconsin they are both local guys who grew up in St. Charles.

Aroma: Moderate sweetness (light notes of honey) with light, grainy, spicy wheat aromatics. Notes of coriander. Fruity, floral and sweet aroma

Appearance: Very pale straw. Cloudy. Dense, white head with good retention

Flavor: Pleasant sweetness (with a honey character) and a zesty, orange-citrusy fruitiness. Refreshingly crisp with a dry, tart, finish. Has a low wheat flavor. Hop bitterness is low

Looking forward to their next brew - Pier Pale Ale

Thanks to Pawola22 for sharing this bottle. This is a new brewery for me.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the coriander and wheat, with a little bit of lemon and orange notes mixed in.

The flavor is more basic and is only made up of wheat and coriander.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.58/5  rDev -51.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle

A - Pours a fluffy white head, lots of carbonation, even 5 minutes after the head disappeared. Some lacing left in the glass but definitely not on the level of a terrific Wit.

S - Smell was almost negligible for fruits. Picked up some bitterness in the nose. This should have a sweet and fruity smell and it does not.

T - I found no sweetness at all, in fact it was grainy and quite bitter and very dry. A Wit beer should have a moderate IBU content at best.

M - Too much carbonation for the style IMHO.

D - After 3 drinks it's difficult to force any more down. Even if I finish this one, I'll be throwing the other 5 from my six pack away.

Maybe I got a bad six pack but you may want to go to Binny's and check on your supply because I wouldn't sell what I received. I'm not trying to kill a new neophite brewery but good lord, if your quality is this bad today, there is no tommorrow.

Either you need to fire your contract brewer or you better not quit your day job because this beer is horrible. By the way, your top label is not on well, which again shows shoddy craftsmanship. Yes it matters when you're new. I believe this is the fault of your contract brewer and their lack of quality. I've seen the label issue before on other things they brew. DO NOT accept shipments of bad beer just to sell something. Send it back and make them do it right.

4.05/5  rDev +25.4%

This beer can be compared to many, but the more I drank the better they got! Being from Kansas City, of course I thought of a Boulevard or two that i had smelled recently. Although the aroma and taste were two very nice parts of the experience up front, I loved how it made me want more! I look forward to being able to buy this beer here in KC soon. Bring it Chicago Beer Company!

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a slightly hazey copper and light amber hay color. The head s only one finger, but leaves a nice long lasting film on the top throughout all twelve ounces.

The aroma has soft nuances of honey, toasted grain, and some general herbal notes.

The taste starts with musty toasted malts. Then some honey and herbs give the flavor a little more character. The finish shows some hop bitterness mixing with the malts, leaving a musky flavor on the finish.

This beer is simple in palate. A little bubbly and sweet with a velvetine texture. This beer is easy to drink, but some of its flavors knock that same sessionability down a notch or two.

3.78/5  rDev +17%

I was served this beer in a pint glass poured out of the bottle. At first it looked and smelled like a KC's Boulevard Wheat. Once I had a taste, I was shocked at how smooth it was and how much it reminded me of Boulevard's wheat beer. The slightest hint of honey really set the beer apart from its competition. I ended up drinking a 6 pack and enjoyed every moment of it. I look forward to seeing this beer at my local liquor store in Kansas City.

3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

Poors into a glass with small head that disappates rather quickly, with little lace left on the glass. It has a slight haze, straw colored. It is an easynto drink beer, with a slight hint of honey. My first one it had an off flavor in the middle, but the more I have the better it gets. I can't wait until it is actually brewed in Chi-Town and not contracted out.

I think much of what has been said is fairly accurate. The color is quite nice and the smell is much like a typical wit beer. The flavor is quite nice, and the finish is very smooth. The packaging and brew immediately and quite obviously make you think of goose island's 312. In comparison, I would much prefer windy city wheat over 312. I picked up a six-pack at a local binny's and have rather enjoyed it during a football sunday. It should be really good come spring time.

3.65/5  rDev +13%

Served in a wine glass.

I'm with Mike on this one: The brewer is quite the character. His beer (batch #2, no less) pours a minorly hazy straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and corn. The taste holds notes of Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, flowers, and lemon zest. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, a nice little wit, nothing amazing, but something I could see drinking plenty of if given the chance.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Served in a wine glass

Had this beer at a tasting and talked with one of the owner's and he seemed like a really cool guy and I look to them putting out more styles. He said they are working on a milk stout for March release so we'll see how that goes.

This beer however looks like a light golden color with frothy white head. The aroma is pretty good as well. I pick up notes of coriander, lemon, and bubblegum. Along with fresh floral notes that all work quite well together on the nose. The taste, in my opinion, is overspiced but still enjoyable. There is lots of clove in the taste along with corriander and a bit of lemon grass. It's not too bad for a witbier, but this beer is more of a catch all wheat style. It's almost Belgian without actually being. It still drinks and feels good, so I wouldn't mind actually having it again.

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

Picked this up at Binnys. New Chicago brewery? Cool! (Find out later it's contract brewed in WI -- boo!)

Looks and pours like your typical belgian wit, nice fluffy head, maybe a bit overcarbonated? Good lacing.

Tasted OK until something rears it's ugly head in the aftertaste/finish. Could barely finish the one bottle due to the aftertaste alone.

2.85/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to Matt for tossing me a bottle of this one. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint glass. The bottle says this is contract brewed by Sand Creek Brewing in Black River Falls, WI.

A - Pours with two fingers of white foam that quickly dissipate to a thick cap, leaving behind a few spots of lace. The body is a lightly hazed golden straw color, with some visible bubbles.

S - Honey, wheat, yeasty, and perhaps some generic corn or adjunct notes. Not much citrus, but a hefty dose of clove and/or coriander. I think I prefer Blue Moon.

T - The taste is more grainy, with less of the over honey sweetness found in the nose. There's maybe a hint of citrus sweetness in the finish. Slightly better than the aroma, but nothing more than an average wit.

M - Medium carbonation, slightly grainy medium body, sticky finish.

D - I managed to finish my 12oz bottle, but I definitely won't be buying this again. I do like the label.

3.3/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Sal's Liquor Store in Addison, IL for $6.99 a 6 pack. The slick Chicago skyline label is what really caught my eye here. No freshness date to be found - all the bottle says is that this is a Belgian white.

The beer pours a cloudy golden/yellow color with a 2-finger fluffy white head. Head retention was good and it left some moderate lacing.

Weak smell here. I can pick up the wheat and some coriander spice, but that's about it.

There's more stuff in here than the smell would lead you to believe. Mild wheat malt sweetness combines with spicy coriander and a touch of lemony citrus notes. Then a big rush of bitter hops cone in. They not only balance out the sweetness but kind of become the dominant flavor. Not used to a hoppy wit, and not sure I like it that much.

Smooth with a light to medium body with only moderate carbonation. I would have preferred more spritz and a less bitter aftertaste.

Interesting and drinkable, but not cracking into my favorites list.

Windy City Wheat from Chicago Beer Company