Pier Pale Ale - Chicago Beer Company

Pier Pale AlePier Pale Ale

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Chi-Town Destination...The Pier. Pier Pale Ale has been carefully formulated and zealously taste-tested to surpass even the highest of expectations.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 06-20-2011)
4.6/5  rDev +53.8%

4.4/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had the APA at home last night after a hard day at work. I looked in my fridge and found this Pier Pale Ale. I didn't want the heavy Pale Ales that I always have. This was a light easy drinking American Pale Ale, it was light on the smell and look. It was not to over hoppy, which is getting out of control. It was smooth and easy going down. I would BBQ with this beer all day long. I could drink more than two and not feel too full or bloated. I highly recommend this for someone looking for and easy drinking beer.

4.08/5  rDev +36.5%

Very very good..whoever gave this a low score does not need to be judging beers.smells great feels great. Expensive but worth it..wouldent give a friend one if they asked, all mine..the other versions are great to.when I first seen it the bottles had dust on them so I'm guessing nobody drinks them that often. Def worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

3.65/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this as part of an M&M 6pk from Everett's in South Beloit, IL for $9.99 in Summer 2011.

Pours a beautiful copper orange color with a pillow head of carbonation and leaves some very nice lacing around the glass. Scent is of bitter hops is very evident with some lesser hints of wheat and citrus. The taste is only semi-bitter. I was expecting a huge burst of bitter hop flavors but instead had a drastic drop-off that finished more like a light beer. Is refreshing and crisp but pretty much a run of the mill basic APA. If your not one for bitter beers, or want to try a weak bitter beer, this is a good starting point.

3.62/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance: Clear light straw, one finger head, solid lacing (4.00)

Aroma: Light pine, citrus, notes with a hint of apple. Little to no yeast, malt character (3.6)

Flavor: Sweet caramel malts, light pine hop character, medium level of bitterness/astringency. (3.6)

Mouthfeel: Medium body/carb. Light lingering hop astringency (3.6)

Overall: 3.62

3.3/5  rDev +10.4%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow-orange body with a pint-sized, white head. Near nil lacing.

Smell: Malty notes of biscuit and toffee co-mingling with hoppy hints of lemon, orange and spice.

Taste: Biscuity malt, a hint of toasted grain and a reasonably light sweetness. Spicy, citrusy hops with a light (but ample) bitterness and a thin measure of grassiness. Crisp, clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Runs light and crisp. This one's leaning towards simple refreshment as opposed to a pale ale bursting with flavor and complexities, so many heading to this Chi-Town will end at the last stop in Snoozeville.

3.23/5  rDev +8%

Pours out a copper color, darker than most pale ale's I've had. Has a frothy creme colored head. Some decent lacing on the side of my glass. The smells is toasty, some caramel malts, maybe some sweet bread in the background, not much citrus or hops in the nose. Trust me, nothing here "screaming floral aromatics". The taste is somewhat subdued, actually reminds me more of a english pale ale than an american one. Or maybe a lager? I am detecting some slight puckering hops in the aftertaste, but they have no nose to them really and are more herbal, tea like than your typical high alpha acid american hops. This beer is very off-putting. I am looking at their website and baffled why this beer has such a low hop profile especially after having so many bold delicious beers made with Centennials and Warrior hops. Anyway, the mouthfeel is a bit thin and actually a bit prickly. Overall, a pretty boring beer made in Wisconsin calling itself a Chicago product.

3.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

meh, a totally irrelevant pale ale here, nothing new to contribute and nothing special on the whole. its almost flat in the glass, has a nose of sweet malt, even pale malt extract, and doesnt have much of a hop profile to it at all. i can see the appeal to those who dont quite like the hoppiness of the american pale, but for a craft beer and pale ale drinker, this is a frustratingly underwhelming beer. paid something like eight bucks for a bottle of this at the top of the hancock building, and while you pay for the views and dont mind doing so, the beer in the bottle should be a whole lot better than this at that price. one of those real forgettable generic beers that doesnt seem craft at all aside from its label. a real let down, super sweet, flat, and lacking any distinguishing element. will have to get my hands on some more beer from these guys to give them a second chance...

3.2/5  rDev +7%

3.16/5  rDev +5.7%

This a decent but not spectacular beer. It poured pale yellow with thin white head that is not leaving much of a lace. Thye scent is mostly sweet malt with faint bitter hops. The taste is a decent balance between malt and bitter hops....more English leaning than west coast. The mouthfeel is light to medium in body with decent carbonation. Overall its ok...I would not go out of my way to find it.

3.16/5  rDev +5.7%

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

3.1/5  rDev +3.7%

I picked up a bottle of Chicago Beer Company's Pier Pale Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. This is the other Chi Town beer I picked up while I was up north, their Lake Shore Lager was a decent beer and I'm curious to see how this one is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's not the most eye catching, but it has a nice clean look to it with the Chicago skyline in the background, I like it. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, I think it's pretty average looking..

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma that I think is a combination of citrus and fruity hops with some fruity ale yeast, it makes for a nice fruity aroma that isn't distinctly hoppy or yeasty, its a nice mixture. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, pale malt and lightly bready aroma. The aroma was decent, the fruity aroma was nice and little unique, I didn't mind it.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and pale malt like flavor with a real slight bready flavor in the aroma. Up next comes that fruity aspect that I got in the aroma, it seems that the citrus hops stick out a little more than the yeast and they impart a citrus rind and lemon like flavor with a little bit of piney hops in the background. On the finish there's a fairly light amount of bitterness with a grainy and citrus zest like aftertaste. The taste is ok, I think it's pretty average for the style.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, slightly refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, nothing really stuck out as being very well done with this beer, it just felt a little bland. This beer has decent drinkability, it's smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but I might start to get bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was pretty true to style and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it was a little bland and one noted. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I might order a glass of it at a bar if I wanted something light to go with a meal but it isn't something I would search out and I don't think I would recommend it as a good American Pale Ale. All in all I wasn't really impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty average almost all the way around and there wasn't anything that made this beer stick out from all the average American Pale Ales. Better luck next time guys, this Pale Ale just wasn't that memorable.

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Like the pale lager, this has a thin layer of foam at the rim. Definitely thicker though and a bit darker.

Smell: Some pine hops and minerals.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More pine hops and minerals. Mouthfeel starts nice and flattens at the end.

Overall Drinkability: This probably is better than the pale lager, but overall it's more generic to the style.

Pier Pale Ale from Chicago Beer Company