Pier Pale Ale - Chicago Beer Company

Pier Pale AlePier Pale Ale

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Chi-Town Destination...The Pier. Pier Pale Ale has been carefully formulated and zealously taste-tested to surpass even the highest of expectations.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 06-20-2011)

little_star, Sep 24, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +55.4%

MaxWillis, Sep 22, 2014

Brams17, Sep 19, 2014
3.62/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: Clear light straw, one finger head, solid lacing (4.00)

Aroma: Light pine, citrus, notes with a hint of apple. Little to no yeast, malt character (3.6)

Flavor: Sweet caramel malts, light pine hop character, medium level of bitterness/astringency. (3.6)

Mouthfeel: Medium body/carb. Light lingering hop astringency (3.6)

Overall: 3.62

Zach136, Sep 17, 2014

2.88/5  rDev -2.7%

Acebuckshot, Aug 14, 2014

LuckyJohn, Jun 23, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +37.8%

Very very good..whoever gave this a low score does not need to be judging beers.smells great feels great. Expensive but worth it..wouldent give a friend one if they asked, all mine..the other versions are great to.when I first seen it the bottles had dust on them so I'm guessing nobody drinks them that often. Def worth a try.

nathanielyuppyupp, Jun 20, 2014

NorthSideSean, Apr 19, 2014

Michael914, Apr 15, 2014

stevolb19, Mar 24, 2014
3.16/5  rDev +6.8%

This a decent but not spectacular beer. It poured pale yellow with thin white head that is not leaving much of a lace. Thye scent is mostly sweet malt with faint bitter hops. The taste is a decent balance between malt and bitter hops....more English leaning than west coast. The mouthfeel is light to medium in body with decent carbonation. Overall its ok...I would not go out of my way to find it.

WoodBrew, Mar 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

dpage27, Mar 03, 2014

ethanmc12, Jan 04, 2014

shand, Dec 12, 2013

Caskaway, Nov 09, 2013
3.1/5  rDev +4.7%

I picked up a bottle of Chicago Beer Company's Pier Pale Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. This is the other Chi Town beer I picked up while I was up north, their Lake Shore Lager was a decent beer and I'm curious to see how this one is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's not the most eye catching, but it has a nice clean look to it with the Chicago skyline in the background, I like it. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, I think it's pretty average looking..

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma that I think is a combination of citrus and fruity hops with some fruity ale yeast, it makes for a nice fruity aroma that isn't distinctly hoppy or yeasty, its a nice mixture. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, pale malt and lightly bready aroma. The aroma was decent, the fruity aroma was nice and little unique, I didn't mind it.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and pale malt like flavor with a real slight bready flavor in the aroma. Up next comes that fruity aspect that I got in the aroma, it seems that the citrus hops stick out a little more than the yeast and they impart a citrus rind and lemon like flavor with a little bit of piney hops in the background. On the finish there's a fairly light amount of bitterness with a grainy and citrus zest like aftertaste. The taste is ok, I think it's pretty average for the style.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, slightly refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, nothing really stuck out as being very well done with this beer, it just felt a little bland. This beer has decent drinkability, it's smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but I might start to get bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was pretty true to style and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it was a little bland and one noted. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I might order a glass of it at a bar if I wanted something light to go with a meal but it isn't something I would search out and I don't think I would recommend it as a good American Pale Ale. All in all I wasn't really impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty average almost all the way around and there wasn't anything that made this beer stick out from all the average American Pale Ales. Better luck next time guys, this Pale Ale just wasn't that memorable.

StoutHunter, Oct 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Turbo, Oct 06, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had the APA at home last night after a hard day at work. I looked in my fridge and found this Pier Pale Ale. I didn't want the heavy Pale Ales that I always have. This was a light easy drinking American Pale Ale, it was light on the smell and look. It was not to over hoppy, which is getting out of control. It was smooth and easy going down. I would BBQ with this beer all day long. I could drink more than two and not feel too full or bloated. I highly recommend this for someone looking for and easy drinking beer.

SCOTT1974, Sep 17, 2013