Pier Pale Ale - Chicago Beer Company

Pier Pale AlePier Pale Ale

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Chi-Town Destination...The Pier. Pier Pale Ale has been carefully formulated and zealously taste-tested to surpass even the highest of expectations.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 06-20-2011)
3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.1/5  rDev +3.7%

I picked up a bottle of Chicago Beer Company's Pier Pale Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. This is the other Chi Town beer I picked up while I was up north, their Lake Shore Lager was a decent beer and I'm curious to see how this one is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's not the most eye catching, but it has a nice clean look to it with the Chicago skyline in the background, I like it. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, I think it's pretty average looking..

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma that I think is a combination of citrus and fruity hops with some fruity ale yeast, it makes for a nice fruity aroma that isn't distinctly hoppy or yeasty, its a nice mixture. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, pale malt and lightly bready aroma. The aroma was decent, the fruity aroma was nice and little unique, I didn't mind it.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and pale malt like flavor with a real slight bready flavor in the aroma. Up next comes that fruity aspect that I got in the aroma, it seems that the citrus hops stick out a little more than the yeast and they impart a citrus rind and lemon like flavor with a little bit of piney hops in the background. On the finish there's a fairly light amount of bitterness with a grainy and citrus zest like aftertaste. The taste is ok, I think it's pretty average for the style.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, slightly refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, nothing really stuck out as being very well done with this beer, it just felt a little bland. This beer has decent drinkability, it's smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but I might start to get bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was pretty true to style and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it was a little bland and one noted. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I might order a glass of it at a bar if I wanted something light to go with a meal but it isn't something I would search out and I don't think I would recommend it as a good American Pale Ale. All in all I wasn't really impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty average almost all the way around and there wasn't anything that made this beer stick out from all the average American Pale Ales. Better luck next time guys, this Pale Ale just wasn't that memorable.

4.4/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had the APA at home last night after a hard day at work. I looked in my fridge and found this Pier Pale Ale. I didn't want the heavy Pale Ales that I always have. This was a light easy drinking American Pale Ale, it was light on the smell and look. It was not to over hoppy, which is getting out of control. It was smooth and easy going down. I would BBQ with this beer all day long. I could drink more than two and not feel too full or bloated. I highly recommend this for someone looking for and easy drinking beer.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.98/5  rDev -0.3%

American pale ale? This beer looks more like a pilsner then any pale ale I've seen. It's clear and golden like a lager with not much character and a sudsy white head. A weak start if you ask me to an APA.

The nose is weak like the appearance but does have the pale ale balance between malt and hops you'd expect form the style. Mild and not very discernible, these scents are barely there.

Like the nose, taste leaves little to be desired. Muted and diminished hops with a malt equally as tame. The flavors could be bolder and have more character but that's not to say that they're bad. It's very drinkable, mild, session beer.

Mouthfeel is flat like the flavor. The carbonation is weak for my taste and the finish is not very memorable. All in all an average beer that isn't the best APA but isn't the worst either. It could be better but I have enjoyed it so that's a plus.

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Like the pale lager, this has a thin layer of foam at the rim. Definitely thicker though and a bit darker.

Smell: Some pine hops and minerals.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More pine hops and minerals. Mouthfeel starts nice and flattens at the end.

Overall Drinkability: This probably is better than the pale lager, but overall it's more generic to the style.

2.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up from a mixed sixer. Poured into pint glass. Appearance is pale gold and clear, minimal head upon pour, no retention, no lacing. The nose has vegetable like hop characted with a noticeable astringency. Not getting much in the way of malts. The taste starts off thin with a touch of sweet malt character. This is followed by and earthy/herbal hop profile that has an off taste... almost like a homebrewed IPA gone wrong. Not much enjoyable going on here. The mouthfeel is thin and well carbonated. Overall, not very enjoyable.

Pier Pale Ale from Chicago Beer Company