Lake Shore Lager - Chicago Beer Company

Lake Shore LagerLake Shore Lager

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

Today’s Destination...The Drive. Lake Shore Lager is an excellent example of the dedication and persistence in reaching the fundamentals of producing a great premium hand-crafted lager.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-24-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Brams17, Sep 19, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Deep orange, thin white head, little lacing (3.50)

Aroma/Flavor: Big caramel malt profile, little to no hop/yeast character (3.50)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and carbonated. Not a great match up for a lager (3.30)

Overall: Drinkable? Yes. A good example of a Pale Lager? Hardly. Mislabeled California Common at best, under attenuated amber lager is more likely. (3.4)

Zach136, Sep 17, 2014

ToddGingerich, Dec 29, 2013

jdlapera, Nov 30, 2013

Lewdd, Nov 28, 2013
3.08/5  rDev +4.1%

I picked up a bottle of Chicago Beer Company's Lake Shore Lager about a week ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never heard of this Brewery before and I didn't know that they were available in Michigan, I thought I would give them a try and their Pale Lager sounds like a good beer to start off with, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's not the most eye catching, but I still think it's well done. It poured a pretty clear golden color that took on more of a brighter golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a nice looking Lager, it looks pretty typical for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, slightly wheaty, and light caramel malt aroma with a good amount of doughy yeast showing up. Up next comes a nice fruity aroma with some citrus rind and light apple like aromas. The aroma isn't bad, but I wish there were more hoppy aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some sweet malts and caramel malt flavors followed by a light doughy flavor. Up next comes a pretty big fruity aroma with a apple and apple cider like flavors sticking out the most with citrus zest showing up a little in the background. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of medium bitterness with a fruity and malty aftertaste. This is an Ok tasting beer, but it doesn't have those distinctive hoppy flavors that I look for in the style,

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer, but it was pretty close to being average as for as the style goes, it had some nice and interesting fruity flavors, but I don't think any of those came from the hops and I think all the hops did was add the right amount of bitterness to this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, refreshing, not filling and the flavor did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink few of these and I think it would be a nice summertime beer. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, they were both nice and fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hop flavors, I wish it had more distinctive hop flavors to go with the right amount of bitterness. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't mind ordering this at a bar or restaurant to go with some food. I would recommend this to most Lager drinkers, but I wouldn't recommend it as a good American Pale Lager. All in all this wasn't a bad beer, it had some nice fruity flavors to it and it's more complex than most Lagers, but it really lacked those hop flavors that I was looking for in the style. It's for sure not the best American Pale Lager I have had and New Belgiums Shift is still my favorite of the still. I have a Pale Ale left to try from this brewery and I hope it has some of those hop flavors that were left out of this beer. This beer made an ok first impression for this brewery since it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't a good American Pale Lager either. Better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 21, 2013

Turbo, Oct 06, 2013

DuffDaddy, Sep 30, 2013

muswellbeerbelly, Sep 15, 2013
3.23/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: A deep orange, slightly misty. A short-lived off-white head appears, and a few gentle streams of bubbles rise.

S: Faint, but very pleasant. A bit of citrus fruit (orange and apple), wheat, malt.

T: Tastes like a good witbier ("coriander and orange peel"). Apple flavors punching through like a cider. Some residual sweetness from the grains, which is pleasant at first but rubs me the wrong way on the finish. Not a very strong flavor, which makes for a somewhat thin but pleasant easy-drinker.

M: Very fluid, almost smooth despite the good carbonation. Very easy drinker, although a few too many could probably lead to feeling a little too full.

O: Funny story, I thought this was a Goose Island brew from first seeing the packaging through halfway through my first tasting, when I became slightly suspicious. Only after looking it up did I realize my mistake. But that mistake is a tribute to this beer: that a brewery less than 5 years old could make a product that looks professional and tastes passably as a product of a well-established and highly regarded brewery. As stated above, most everything about it was very pleasing, if on less-bold side of things; you could categorize it as a witbier/cider hybrid. As far as lagers go, I'd pick up this one before most.

1000lbgrizzly, Aug 20, 2013

mrmitsui29, Jul 20, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

Nihilistkid, May 08, 2013
3.16/5  rDev +6.8%

Got this from a friend living in Chicago, served it up in a pint.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a thin white head with minimal amounts of lacing.

S: Smells like wheat, grains, bits of citrus, malts

T: Tastes a bit sweet, little bit lacking, but its alright, tastes of wheat, grains, malts, with a tinge of hops and barley

M: Fairly carbonated, makes it crisp and refreshing, bit lacking on flavors, gives me the impression of carbonated water

O: It's an ok beer, I could defiantly drink lots large quantities of this. It's basically plain, nothing bad about it but nothing impressive either, but still if I'm looking for a summer barbecue beer to drink lots of, I'd opt for this instead of some big brewery junk.

Mavigo, Feb 11, 2013