Diebels Alt - Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dpend on 09-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Diebels Alt Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

One of my favorite German beers. Usually buy it at Trinkgut in Kleve together with my other German favorites.

A: A beautiful brown/copper color with an initional decent white head.

S: Roasted malts, hops, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Like a pilsener but enriched with roasted malts and an additional dose of hops. A slight metallic tone in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body. Very dry finish.

D: I like this one a lot, but not in any moment. I seem to have a preference for this beer at dinner time. (526 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

A very nice colour: the label describes it as barn stone and i tend to agree. Nice stable layer of foam. Weak earthy and malty smell. Nice taste, though it's not easy to define it. Can caramel be bitter? Because that's what it tastes like: caramel bitterness. First time I tried an Altbier. If this beer is an adequate representation, I would gladly drink more beers in this style. (381 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Diebels poured a light beige head with some nice initial lace but by the time I had finished the beer the head was gone as was most of the lace. The colour was, of course, dark bronze, like iced tea. My relatively low grade for the appearance has me suspecting that my bottle of Diebels may not be the best available sample. Pity.

The aroma was malty sweet and I picked up on the presence of molasses, bitter coffee and raisins. The roasted taste started out lightly sweet and finished lightly bitter. The flavour, while nicely balanced, could have been turned up a notch or two. On the palate, Diebels was a bit thin and had a moderately dry finish.

I would like to try this beer again, preferably freshly poured in a German tavern. (739 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a carmel amber color. It is darker than I had expected it would be when I poured it. It has a quickly disipating white bubbly head.

The smell is sweet with what I believe to be a hint of apples (although perhaps I'm just crazy). The taste is a nice balance of thin sweetness with a dry bittering of hops, but not overpowering. A nice tastey beer that is still refresing, but has a bit more hops flavor than is typical for the region. Very tastey.

I can't compare this to many other alts, as it is a style that I have only had a few. But from what I see, it is a pleasant light and refreshing style. (606 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles. (662 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Nutty, almost chestnut scent with roasted scents

Appearance: Poured into hefeweizen glass (all I had) to light amber/mahoghany with 3/8" inch head to start. dissipated relatively quickly with no lacing

Drinkability: Rather excellent taste with a slight residual bitterness on the finish. Would like to see how many I could have

Mouthfeel: Slightly buttery on the palette with some presence here, low to medium carbonation really letting the flavor come through

Overall: I thought this was really great. Either I'm just romanticizing the style which is one of my favorites and that I'm having one while in Germany, but it has a great taste, mouthfeel and finish. (672 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

One of the best beers I've had. Still learning, but this thing was tasty.

A: A beautiful brown color with a thick white head.

S: Smelled malt and figs/raisins. Lots of nose.

T: One of the best well-balanced beers I've had. Nothing was overpowering and the flavor was spectacular. This was my first altbier, but I'm sure a stunning example.

M: Just right. Carbonation wasn't too much and every sip left me looking forward to the next one.

D: Very smooth. Well worth the drink, if you can find it. (501 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Reviewed on tap at the Hamburg Hauptbahnhof. Comes in with a nice light cream head which stayed pretty well. No lacing on the way down, strangely. Deep amber colour.

The beer has a nice bread-and-malt nose. Bit of dry herb aroma and toasted/roasted tones as well. Doesn't hold back at all; you don't have to sniff to get plenty of aroma with the first taste.

The mouthfeel is not particularly unusual, but very solid. It is very smooth and reasonably substantial. Exceptionally drinkable. Never exceedingly bitter or tiring, you could sit down with some mates and enjoy this until you could no longer stand or you could just have one here or there and enjoy every bit of it. However, its versatility comes at a slight price, never feeling like you'd want to have this with [insert item here]. Though I did not have it with food, I don't think there would be any great pairings, but if I had to guess I'd say some kind of grilled meat. Regardless, this is the kind of beer you have no reservations about recommending to anyone.

Taste, the most important part of any beer, was quite good. Quite malty and toasty, with excellent balance. Some herb notes, in a way reminding of a good cabernet sauvignon with slight tobacco undertones. Finishes with a dry bitterness, but not at all overwhelming. Medium body. (1,308 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this famous german Altbier in a 500 ml bottle. This beer is everywhere available where I live. I tried it once and I really didnt like it much. The look of the Altbier is dark amber with a good, beige head. When I opened the bottle an unpleasant odor of foul hops came to my nose...The first sip was also unpleasant. It had a very harsh aftertaste from the foul smellng hops to me. Not very drinkable. I wonder about the good ratings here, cause its way overrated in my eyes. This Altbier really didnt convince me at all. (528 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

This is the bier that Deutschland uses as a measure for all Altbier...so I do to, having lived in the country for some years. So as my standard for Altbier it is a perfect blend of lagering and hops. It presents a pretty opaque color, for Deutschland, and has a nice but mild hop aftertaste. (291 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last