Diebels Alt - Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dpend on 09-16-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 105 | Reviews: 57
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at the Diebels tied house on the Duisburg harbour. Freshness was the key here. Light fruity hopiness on the nose. I was drinking a wonderful, crisp, fresh beer with a mildly bitter munich flavour on a background on what again seemed like spalt hops (a favourite in this region). There was a light residual sweetness that balanced out the apparent dryness and firm but not high bitterness.

Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark, clear, lots of head and good retension with some visible carbonation.
S - Very little smell at all. Slightly sweet I suppose.
T - Sweeter, some roasty tastes of coffee and some yeastiness gives it a sweeter fruity taste. Lingers long and dry and slightly sweet.
M - Heavy mouthfeel, lingers like an awkward person, overcarbonated and syrupy.
D - Too heavy and thick, otherwise alright.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

One of my favorite German beers. Usually buy it at Trinkgut in Kleve together with my other German favorites.

A: A beautiful brown/copper color with an initional decent white head.

S: Roasted malts, hops, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Like a pilsener but enriched with roasted malts and an additional dose of hops. A slight metallic tone in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body. Very dry finish.

D: I like this one a lot, but not in any moment. I seem to have a preference for this beer at dinner time.

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Diebels poured a light beige head with some nice initial lace but by the time I had finished the beer the head was gone as was most of the lace. The colour was, of course, dark bronze, like iced tea. My relatively low grade for the appearance has me suspecting that my bottle of Diebels may not be the best available sample. Pity.

The aroma was malty sweet and I picked up on the presence of molasses, bitter coffee and raisins. The roasted taste started out lightly sweet and finished lightly bitter. The flavour, while nicely balanced, could have been turned up a notch or two. On the palate, Diebels was a bit thin and had a moderately dry finish.

I would like to try this beer again, preferably freshly poured in a German tavern.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a carmel amber color. It is darker than I had expected it would be when I poured it. It has a quickly disipating white bubbly head.

The smell is sweet with what I believe to be a hint of apples (although perhaps I'm just crazy). The taste is a nice balance of thin sweetness with a dry bittering of hops, but not overpowering. A nice tastey beer that is still refresing, but has a bit more hops flavor than is typical for the region. Very tastey.

I can't compare this to many other alts, as it is a style that I have only had a few. But from what I see, it is a pleasant light and refreshing style.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles.

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Nutty, almost chestnut scent with roasted scents

Appearance: Poured into hefeweizen glass (all I had) to light amber/mahoghany with 3/8" inch head to start. dissipated relatively quickly with no lacing

Drinkability: Rather excellent taste with a slight residual bitterness on the finish. Would like to see how many I could have

Mouthfeel: Slightly buttery on the palette with some presence here, low to medium carbonation really letting the flavor come through

Overall: I thought this was really great. Either I'm just romanticizing the style which is one of my favorites and that I'm having one while in Germany, but it has a great taste, mouthfeel and finish.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

One of the best beers I've had. Still learning, but this thing was tasty.

A: A beautiful brown color with a thick white head.

S: Smelled malt and figs/raisins. Lots of nose.

T: One of the best well-balanced beers I've had. Nothing was overpowering and the flavor was spectacular. This was my first altbier, but I'm sure a stunning example.

M: Just right. Carbonation wasn't too much and every sip left me looking forward to the next one.

D: Very smooth. Well worth the drink, if you can find it.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Diebels Alt from Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG