Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Diebels Alt - Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Diebels AltDiebels Alt

Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG visit their website

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dpend on 09-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Diebels Alt Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

After drinking nothing but Kölsch and Weissbier I was begging for something different to try. During a weekend trip to Aachen I found this brew, though it is very easy to find anywhere in Germany.

Color ís almost that of pine bark and head is off white and short lived. Scent is powerful and quickly brings a resemblance to molasses to mind. Flavor can best be sumed up into rye bread meets molasses meets brown sugar. Its a flavorful beer, the flavors however seem out of place. Its interesting at first but by the time I got to the bottom of the glass this beer's individuality had gotten on my nerves and I was already looking for something different. As I have had very little experience with Alt beers this may be typical for the style. German brewers are not known for their wild and unique creations like some American micros are. Mouthfeel was pleasant--silky, full, and satisfying.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Exceptionally clear bronze-brown body. Rocky, foamy head.

Slightly yeasty aroma, pungent and dry with, I think, a hint of scotch whisky!

Just a bit chewy in the mouth with some peat and earth tones, then chocolate and coffee.

Dry and astringent, malty around the edge.

This is my first altbier, and I may end up changing these ratings later if future samples warrant it. I enjoyed this style quite a bit, and this beer seems to be an excellent example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Brown with a nice pillowy biege head, nice carbonation, and rings of lace. Crisp malty aroma with a touch of roastiness. Good balance ! Strong malty flavor with a nice supporting bitterness. HInts of chocolate and a bit roasty. Medium bodied, rich, and smooth.

Per D. website: 11.8 Plato

Per "Beers" book: Pilsner malt and 2% rosted barley, Perle and Northern Brewer hops

Best Before: 05/02
Tasted: 08/04/03

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

This was my first altbier. I really enjoy this variety and wish it was easier to find in the states. While I enjoy Alaskan Amber, I don't quite consider it a true altbier. I had Diebels when staying with a friend who lived in Duisburg back in '99. It seemed to be the standard altbier in the Ruhr. When I'd walk into an Imbiss and request an altbier, this was invariably what was on hand. I really don't remember a lot about it, except that I enjoyed it very much. Back then I was still fairly novice a drinker, so I'd love to try it again and see if it still impresses me.

Well, I managed to find this at the Alpine Deli for $1.59. It's the first time I've come across it since I was in Germany 5 years ago. Has a best by date of May, 2004 (oops).

Poured a dark copper color, with a big off-white head. Head hung around for several minutes. Mild amount of lace.

Very malty caramel smell, with a hint of floral hops.

Taste is predominantly caramel maltiness, with a slightly floral hoppy dryness to keep it from being too sweet. I remember this having a bit more character, but it's still pretty good.

This is a medium bodied ale. Seems about right for the style.

This is a very drinkable altbier. While it's not as tasty as an Uerige Sticke, it's still pretty good, and it's certainly cheaper.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

This dark alt beer poured almost a clear brown with a nice off white head that stayed around for some time. The aroma was subtle but left a little malt in the nose. The bitterness jumps out and grabs the tongue, but lets the sweetness creap back in. The beer finishes with a light chocolate taste. The mouthfeel borders on creamy and is medium bodied. This beer is quite drinkable and is what I am hoping the alt in my keg that is fermenting now will taste like.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear deep brownish amber color with a thick and creamy off-white colored head that fades into a nice lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts and a bit of toffee. Smooth and quite slick mouthfeel but is a bit thin. Taste is sweet malts and molasses up front followed by some bready notes and a touch of a raisin-like flavor. Finish is dry. A nice brew, but nothing special.

Thick and creamy off-white cloudtop head, lots of lace. Crystal clear dark copper color with slight carbonation. Toasty malt aroma with dark bread notes. Strong dark malt in the taste, as well as rich, earthy flavors, and bitter chocolate, finishes dry with a definite smoky note. It seems that Germany cannot make a bad beer.

2.92/5  rDev -21.7%

Quite easy to drink and quite a clean taste. Even though it lacked a lot of flavour, i couldn't find to much wrong with it, probably a bit boring, but a nice session beer. Light malty flavour, with ever so slight bittering hop, no flavours really stand out, not too interesting, but enjoyable enough to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

Served on-tap at "Ranke 2" in Berlin, and served in its own 0.4l branded glass. A copper/brown beer with a healthy looking, creamy laced head.

A metallic beer with toasty, thin raisin, bready, and tea-like flavours. Dry overall, with a thin malt sweetness, but ample malt character. Also notes tobacco, smooth chocolate and faint caramel flavours. Dry finish.

Thoroughly enjoyed this complex and tasy altbier ... and it made me think that we need more altbiers in the US.

On tap at the National Hotel in Miami, FL. Imported through Florida. Dark copper color, nearly brown. Thin beige head, not much carbonation. Decent malty sweet smells. Slick, carmel malty sweetness. Slighly weird nearly slimy finish, almost some smoeky qualities, or was it the bar I drinking it in ? Medium bodied, very unique and interesting.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last