Diebels Alt - Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dpend on 09-16-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 105 | Reviews: 57
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

One of my favorite German beers. Usually buy it at Trinkgut in Kleve together with my other German favorites.

A: A beautiful brown/copper color with an initional decent white head.

S: Roasted malts, hops, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Like a pilsener but enriched with roasted malts and an additional dose of hops. A slight metallic tone in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body. Very dry finish.

D: I like this one a lot, but not in any moment. I seem to have a preference for this beer at dinner time.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a carmel amber color. It is darker than I had expected it would be when I poured it. It has a quickly disipating white bubbly head.

The smell is sweet with what I believe to be a hint of apples (although perhaps I'm just crazy). The taste is a nice balance of thin sweetness with a dry bittering of hops, but not overpowering. A nice tastey beer that is still refresing, but has a bit more hops flavor than is typical for the region. Very tastey.

I can't compare this to many other alts, as it is a style that I have only had a few. But from what I see, it is a pleasant light and refreshing style.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2002.
Appearance : clear amber brown color, good white foam head
Smell : Caramel aroma, malt
Taste and mouthfeel : Flavor dominated by malt, bitterish and quite light bodied.
Drinkability : good beer in the style not very common Alt bier

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Sampled this one unpasteurised annd fresh. Good presentation with good and lasting head and nice brown beercolor. Nose is fresh, malty( litle green) and caramellic with some yeastspice.
Taste is very strong maltaromatic and like smell tasting as greenmalt. Good and not overdone sweetness and a low dosed bitterness and phenolic. Mouthfeel is ok with good carbonation annd a nice a full beer without edges. Easy drinkable and IMO one of the better Altbeers though no competition to Uerige or Gleumes.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottled: puts a copper-brown ale in your galss. 2 finger creamy cap with good retention and lacing. Mild aromas..woodsy, grassy, grainy. Mouthfeel is smooth and mellow good balance between toasty cerial malts and herbal-tobacco like hops dry clean finish. Overal impression is of a lilting dryness that travels just above an ample malt spine....a good alt for a large brewer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

A: The beer is very dark amber in color and has a finger high head that gradually died down to a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There is an aroma of malts in the nose with some notes of caramel.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is rather malty and has some caramel flavors but these are nicely balanced by the underlying hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather smooth on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink and quite sessionable.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Enjoyed at the hotel soon after arriving in Zermatt, Switzerland. Lacks the soul of the famous Dusseldorf pub Alts. Still a nice reprieve from Euro lagers. Bright copper. Nice and bready with a mild, herbal hop flavor. Clean and lager-like. Too filtered and refined. Needs more edge. Then again, who cares what one is drinking when in the shadow of the Matterhorn?

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

6-20-03
This was my first altbier. I really enjoy this variety and wish it was easier to find in the states. While I enjoy Alaskan Amber, I don't quite consider it a true altbier. I had Diebels when staying with a friend who lived in Duisburg back in '99. It seemed to be the standard altbier in the Ruhr. When I'd walk into an Imbiss and request an altbier, this was invariably what was on hand. I really don't remember a lot about it, except that I enjoyed it very much. Back then I was still fairly novice a drinker, so I'd love to try it again and see if it still impresses me.

10-6-04
Well, I managed to find this at the Alpine Deli for $1.59. It's the first time I've come across it since I was in Germany 5 years ago. Has a best by date of May, 2004 (oops).

Poured a dark copper color, with a big off-white head. Head hung around for several minutes. Mild amount of lace.

Very malty caramel smell, with a hint of floral hops.

Taste is predominantly caramel maltiness, with a slightly floral hoppy dryness to keep it from being too sweet. I remember this having a bit more character, but it's still pretty good.

This is a medium bodied ale. Seems about right for the style.

This is a very drinkable altbier. While it's not as tasty as an Uerige Sticke, it's still pretty good, and it's certainly cheaper.

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

330 ml bottle, bought in Germany. ABV is 4.9%. Beautiful reddish brown colour, large and lingering greyish light tan head. Moderate malty aroma with some caramel and spices, some flowery aromatic hops too. Flavour is moderately malty and herbal with moderate hops, a little burnt caramel too. Easy drinking, but not one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear deep brownish amber color with a thick and creamy off-white colored head that fades into a nice lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts and a bit of toffee. Smooth and quite slick mouthfeel but is a bit thin. Taste is sweet malts and molasses up front followed by some bready notes and a touch of a raisin-like flavor. Finish is dry. A nice brew, but nothing special.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Diebels Alt from Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG