Diebels Alt - Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Diebels AltDiebels Alt

Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG visit their website

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dpend on 09-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Diebels Alt Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Sampled this one unpasteurised annd fresh. Good presentation with good and lasting head and nice brown beercolor. Nose is fresh, malty( litle green) and caramellic with some yeastspice.
Taste is very strong maltaromatic and like smell tasting as greenmalt. Good and not overdone sweetness and a low dosed bitterness and phenolic. Mouthfeel is ok with good carbonation annd a nice a full beer without edges. Easy drinkable and IMO one of the better Altbeers though no competition to Uerige or Gleumes.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Aroma: A bready yeast and light malt mingle in a fresh aroma. Some light esters? Whiff of an almost Belgian yeast banana or dark fruit smell.
Appearance: A clear amber-brown with a fluffy light tan head of mostly tiny bubbles.
Flavor: Somewhat like a cross between a Pilsner and an Oktoberfest. Nice balance between malt and hop, both show up, but hops take the lead resulting in a nice hop taste and bitter. Some tea flavor and a very mild metallic taste were noted.
Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. A clean dry finish, no oils.
Overall Impression: My first Alt beer, so I really don’t have much to compare it to. It’s pretty good, rich taste, nice appearance, and a clean finish. The rich taste makes me think it would be a hard session. I’m happy after one, but glad I tried the style.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance – Bright brown in color and very clear in the body. The head was big and very fluffy with some cool lacing.

Smell – The aroma was faint here and was made up mainly of caramel-laden malts.

Taste – This had a nicely balanced flavor. The quality malts are sweetened with brown sugar and caramel. There’s also a soft floral hop compliment that evens things out.

Mouthfeel – This one was light in the mouth and flat, which was very nice.

Drinkability – This went very well with my weisswurst and sauerkraut.

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

Diebels poured a light beige head with some nice initial lace but by the time I had finished the beer the head was gone as was most of the lace. The colour was, of course, dark bronze, like iced tea. My relatively low grade for the appearance has me suspecting that my bottle of Diebels may not be the best available sample. Pity.

The aroma was malty sweet and I picked up on the presence of molasses, bitter coffee and raisins. The roasted taste started out lightly sweet and finished lightly bitter. The flavour, while nicely balanced, could have been turned up a notch or two. On the palate, Diebels was a bit thin and had a moderately dry finish.

I would like to try this beer again, preferably freshly poured in a German tavern.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles.

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

Nice head forms upon pouring and takes quite awhile to subside. Aroma is a little stale and perhaps metallic. Flavor is slightly metallic with a nice malt and hop balance and a toasted finish that lasts and lasts. The malt and hop balance is really nice and impressive and the bitterness is well done. The drinkability is very good with the only real flaw being that metallic aroma and flavor at the beginning.

3.24/5  rDev -12.9%

A light brown version of Altbier that pour with a burst of foam that settles to a thin collar. Starts with mostly caramel malt flavors. The hops become more noticeable later on and ending with a dry finish. There's some bits of toffee, and some buttery notes, but not much complexity. Fairly light-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. A very quaffable Altbier. A beer that I believe would appeal to many beer drinkers looking to try a German beer other than a Spaten or Paulaner, something a wee bit more interesting.

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

After drinking nothing but Kölsch and Weissbier I was begging for something different to try. During a weekend trip to Aachen I found this brew, though it is very easy to find anywhere in Germany.

Color ís almost that of pine bark and head is off white and short lived. Scent is powerful and quickly brings a resemblance to molasses to mind. Flavor can best be sumed up into rye bread meets molasses meets brown sugar. Its a flavorful beer, the flavors however seem out of place. Its interesting at first but by the time I got to the bottom of the glass this beer's individuality had gotten on my nerves and I was already looking for something different. As I have had very little experience with Alt beers this may be typical for the style. German brewers are not known for their wild and unique creations like some American micros are. Mouthfeel was pleasant--silky, full, and satisfying.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Exceptionally clear bronze-brown body. Rocky, foamy head.

Slightly yeasty aroma, pungent and dry with, I think, a hint of scotch whisky!

Just a bit chewy in the mouth with some peat and earth tones, then chocolate and coffee.

Dry and astringent, malty around the edge.

This is my first altbier, and I may end up changing these ratings later if future samples warrant it. I enjoyed this style quite a bit, and this beer seems to be an excellent example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Brown with a nice pillowy biege head, nice carbonation, and rings of lace. Crisp malty aroma with a touch of roastiness. Good balance ! Strong malty flavor with a nice supporting bitterness. HInts of chocolate and a bit roasty. Medium bodied, rich, and smooth.

Per D. website: 11.8 Plato

Per "Beers" book: Pilsner malt and 2% rosted barley, Perle and Northern Brewer hops

Best Before: 05/02
Tasted: 08/04/03

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

This was my first altbier. I really enjoy this variety and wish it was easier to find in the states. While I enjoy Alaskan Amber, I don't quite consider it a true altbier. I had Diebels when staying with a friend who lived in Duisburg back in '99. It seemed to be the standard altbier in the Ruhr. When I'd walk into an Imbiss and request an altbier, this was invariably what was on hand. I really don't remember a lot about it, except that I enjoyed it very much. Back then I was still fairly novice a drinker, so I'd love to try it again and see if it still impresses me.

Well, I managed to find this at the Alpine Deli for $1.59. It's the first time I've come across it since I was in Germany 5 years ago. Has a best by date of May, 2004 (oops).

Poured a dark copper color, with a big off-white head. Head hung around for several minutes. Mild amount of lace.

Very malty caramel smell, with a hint of floral hops.

Taste is predominantly caramel maltiness, with a slightly floral hoppy dryness to keep it from being too sweet. I remember this having a bit more character, but it's still pretty good.

This is a medium bodied ale. Seems about right for the style.

This is a very drinkable altbier. While it's not as tasty as an Uerige Sticke, it's still pretty good, and it's certainly cheaper.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

This dark alt beer poured almost a clear brown with a nice off white head that stayed around for some time. The aroma was subtle but left a little malt in the nose. The bitterness jumps out and grabs the tongue, but lets the sweetness creap back in. The beer finishes with a light chocolate taste. The mouthfeel borders on creamy and is medium bodied. This beer is quite drinkable and is what I am hoping the alt in my keg that is fermenting now will taste like.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a clear deep brownish amber color with a thick and creamy off-white colored head that fades into a nice lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts and a bit of toffee. Smooth and quite slick mouthfeel but is a bit thin. Taste is sweet malts and molasses up front followed by some bready notes and a touch of a raisin-like flavor. Finish is dry. A nice brew, but nothing special.

Thick and creamy off-white cloudtop head, lots of lace. Crystal clear dark copper color with slight carbonation. Toasty malt aroma with dark bread notes. Strong dark malt in the taste, as well as rich, earthy flavors, and bitter chocolate, finishes dry with a definite smoky note. It seems that Germany cannot make a bad beer.

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

Quite easy to drink and quite a clean taste. Even though it lacked a lot of flavour, i couldn't find to much wrong with it, probably a bit boring, but a nice session beer. Light malty flavour, with ever so slight bittering hop, no flavours really stand out, not too interesting, but enjoyable enough to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on-tap at "Ranke 2" in Berlin, and served in its own 0.4l branded glass. A copper/brown beer with a healthy looking, creamy laced head.

A metallic beer with toasty, thin raisin, bready, and tea-like flavours. Dry overall, with a thin malt sweetness, but ample malt character. Also notes tobacco, smooth chocolate and faint caramel flavours. Dry finish.

Thoroughly enjoyed this complex and tasy altbier ... and it made me think that we need more altbiers in the US.

On tap at the National Hotel in Miami, FL. Imported through Florida. Dark copper color, nearly brown. Thin beige head, not much carbonation. Decent malty sweet smells. Slick, carmel malty sweetness. Slighly weird nearly slimy finish, almost some smoeky qualities, or was it the bar I drinking it in ? Medium bodied, very unique and interesting.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last