Blonde Hunny Ale - Wild Wolf Brewing Company

good

Wild Wolf Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jadjunk on 08-02-2012)

qchic, Today at 02:43 AM
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Hazy, almost cloudy. Light amber in color. Head was less than a finger of off-white, but with scant lacing.

S: Aroma wasn't strong at all, but perfume and spice dominate.

T: Sweet and malty dominates up front and into the middle. Some yeast flavors, plus mild, tart fruit; spice is present, but subtle. Hops are an afterthought.

M: Smooth and refreshing, although not very well carbonated.

O: Pretty sweet, but they did advertise that is was a "hunny" ale. Flavor and aroma lack complexity, but the beer still scores big in drinkability. I'm going to buy a few more when the weather warms up again, as it would be great on a hot day.

TappaKeggaBrew, Saturday at 01:54 AM

embass, Oct 19, 2014

TomT2, Oct 16, 2014

hophugger, Oct 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

This is a tasty beer. A coworker brought a can to me and I wish he had brought me a whole 6er. This is the kind a beer to pop open as soon as you get home. Flavorful, but not a huge beer by any means. Looks good in the glass, coats the mouth just right.

I will buy this if I see it in the stores, this one came straight from the brewery. So it may not be around here.

Hex92, Oct 04, 2014

jaswilson2, Sep 01, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Rlhinson2104, Aug 26, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

The CANQuest ™ CANtinues to pick up speed as I CANtinue to roll through some of my back inventory. This one came north in a trade, but lacked an approved pic, so I had to wait for that to happen before I could bring myself to lay hands on her, er, it.

From the CAN: “Belgian style Blonde Ale brewed with honey and spices”; “Howling Good Beer”; “Am unfiltered Belgian style Blonde Ale with wheat and a lot of honey in every pour. We have also added a special spice blend to give it an added kick. Smooth and refreshing, this beer is straw yellow in color with a slight sweetness in the middle and an estery finish characteristic of the best Belgian beers. If the yeast has settled, swirl before you pour.”

I love that they are encouraging me to swirl this Blonde around! My Hunny, #TheOldLady, does not dig what she perceives as my mishandling of beers, especially ones in CANs, but I find that an inverted Glug works for me.

I swirled the Blonde Hunny around, I Crack!ed her open, I turned her upside down so that she could Glug as much as she liked and she still only gave me a little bit of head! Story of my life. Really, though, the brief finger of foamy, bone-white head quickly fell to wisps. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5), so at least the swirl roused her up. Nose smelled kind of like the Saisons of the past couple of days. I was getting black pepper or coriander, a light honey sweetness, soft fruitiness and even a little mustiness. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely of honey, very sweet on the tongue initially, and then I got a light spiciness behind it. I am not a style maven, but they seemed to be playing fast and loose with a Belgian Blonde. Finish straddled between semi-sweet and semi-dry as the honey lent it an inherent sweetness, but the spices were working to dry it out. Not bad, but one Blonde, Begian or not, at a time for me in my advancing age.

woodychandler, Aug 19, 2014