Blonde Hunny Ale - Wild Wolf Brewing Company

Wild Wolf Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: Jadjunk on 08-02-2012

An unfiltered Belgian style Blonde Ale with wheat and a lot of honey in every pour. We have also added a special spice blend to give it an added kick. Smooth and refreshing this beer is straw Yellow in color with a slight sweetness in the middle and an estery finish characteristic of the best Belgian beers. If the yeast has settled, swirl before you pour.
to view more.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 19
Reviews by JayQue:
3.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice, light summertime beer, Poured from the can into my Grape and Gourmet store tulip glass. Good light honey/amber color with a good size white head. Average lacing and retention.

Aroma is fairly mild but you can pick up the honey, wheat and some lemon. Pleasant.

Taste includes some sweetness from the honey, a little bite from the wheat and some Belgian yeast and lemon. Flavor is not that intense, but fine for a summer refreshment.

Mouthfeel is light and tart, Alcohol presence is not noticible.

A tasty thirst quencher, I would drink this one again.

4.59/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love most all Belgians and this is no different. Nice smooth sweet flavor a little hoppy. Has a decent abv and is very drinkable.

4.66/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Serving Can - poured into a perfect pint glass

A: pours a hazy, bright, golden yellow. Almost glow with sunlight behind it.

S: wheat, citrus, light malt. Overall pleasant aroma.

T: starts slightly sweet with a peppery spicy finish. Nice balance of lemon, honey and spice. Dangerously drinkable.

M: A little thin considering the ABV but still solid enough.

O: A really uniquely refreshing beer. Great summertime staple that goes down smooth and packs a punch.

3.17/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Yep, that's right. Another beer from the bodacious woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy yellowish color with a small head. Smell, is very mild, light fruits, not getting very much here. Taste is lemony, some yeast, a touch of spice. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

4.75/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The reviews for this particular beer seem to remind me of a bunch of guys who took up drinking beer because it was the cool thing to do, and now they feel obligated to drink one and write a snooty beer review. Well let me set the record for those of you wondering about buying this seemingly mysterious canned beer. Its great! Some of us were not priviledged enough to have champagne flowing from our urinals when we were young and learned what a nice cold canned beer meant on a hot summers day. Some of the guys on here remember those filfthy canned beers chillded to ice cold temperatures on that hot summer day. This is a canned beer you would have wished you were ripping into at the end of that hard working day in the sunshine! Now some of you acornless fools who get on here and massage your tulip folds would disagree, but you know that you drink beer for a sport. Some of us drink it because it is the pot of gold at the end of the hard trotted rainbow road. We just hope whats in the pot helps us to forget the days troubles. Blonde Hunny is what a working man desires! In both ways (human and spirit).

First off I could do the "5 step" douche review we currently seem to look to on here, but hey you just get desensitized over time to being in a douchebag world. This review if for those guys who like to wear t-shirts and dont need the button down kind of review. If you like to drink canned beer after being out in the sun all day, you cant go wrong here. Also if this review doesnt make it to print, censorship is alive an well. If this review does make it to print, freedom still may have a chance. Either way drink this beer and know there are some things in the world that are right. Plus honey is good for about everything known to man! Get your medicine men!

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy yellow orange in color with a 2 1/2 finger white head that recedes rather quickly leaving only token lacing, a light film on the surface, and a ring around the glass.

Sweet and herbal with some lemony Belgian spice. Rich, spicy and fresh.

Peppery tart on the tongue. The sweetness of the malts punches through on the swallow, followed closely and briefly by some light biter hops. Follow through is a lasting lemony tartness. Very nice! I really like this.

Feel is peppery and medium full with a pleasant light syrupy coating in the mouth. Warming. Substantial body.

Much better than I had feared. Taste, aroma, and feel were quite pleasing. A bit of cloy at the very first, but it settled down almost immediately. Rather easy to drink considering it's ABV and body. I really enjoyed it. I have the WW Dry Stout as well. I drank this first because it got the worst reviews, so hopefully I'll have a similar experience with the Stout. This is my 3rd Wild Wolf, and so far, they haven't let me down.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

The CANQuest ™ CANtinues to pick up speed as I CANtinue to roll through some of my back inventory. This one came north in a trade, but lacked an approved pic, so I had to wait for that to happen before I could bring myself to lay hands on her, er, it.

From the CAN: “Belgian style Blonde Ale brewed with honey and spices”; “Howling Good Beer”; “Am unfiltered Belgian style Blonde Ale with wheat and a lot of honey in every pour. We have also added a special spice blend to give it an added kick. Smooth and refreshing, this beer is straw yellow in color with a slight sweetness in the middle and an estery finish characteristic of the best Belgian beers. If the yeast has settled, swirl before you pour.”

I love that they are encouraging me to swirl this Blonde around! My Hunny, #TheOldLady, does not dig what she perceives as my mishandling of beers, especially ones in CANs, but I find that an inverted Glug works for me.

I swirled the Blonde Hunny around, I Crack!ed her open, I turned her upside down so that she could Glug as much as she liked and she still only gave me a little bit of head! Story of my life. Really, though, the brief finger of foamy, bone-white head quickly fell to wisps. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5), so at least the swirl roused her up. Nose smelled kind of like the Saisons of the past couple of days. I was getting black pepper or coriander, a light honey sweetness, soft fruitiness and even a little mustiness. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely of honey, very sweet on the tongue initially, and then I got a light spiciness behind it. I am not a style maven, but they seemed to be playing fast and loose with a Belgian Blonde. Finish straddled between semi-sweet and semi-dry as the honey lent it an inherent sweetness, but the spices were working to dry it out. Not bad, but one Blonde, Begian or not, at a time for me in my advancing age.

4.93/5  rDev +39.3%

This is one of my favorite Virginia craft beers. The flavor is full and robust, leaving no doubts. A delicious honey taste permeates throughout. When I first tried this beer it really took me off my feet. A beer like this is why you drink craft beers. Excellent work Wild Wolf Brewing Company!

3.37/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was just alright. The label says there is honey in there, but this was much sweeter than expected.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Hazy, almost cloudy. Light amber in color. Head was less than a finger of off-white, but with scant lacing.

S: Aroma wasn't strong at all, but perfume and spice dominate.

T: Sweet and malty dominates up front and into the middle. Some yeast flavors, plus mild, tart fruit; spice is present, but subtle. Hops are an afterthought.

M: Smooth and refreshing, although not very well carbonated.

O: Pretty sweet, but they did advertise that is was a "hunny" ale. Flavor and aroma lack complexity, but the beer still scores big in drinkability. I'm going to buy a few more when the weather warms up again, as it would be great on a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

This is a tasty beer. A coworker brought a can to me and I wish he had brought me a whole 6er. This is the kind a beer to pop open as soon as you get home. Flavorful, but not a huge beer by any means. Looks good in the glass, coats the mouth just right.

I will buy this if I see it in the stores, this one came straight from the brewery. So it may not be around here.

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Cloudy orange with a thin head that dissipates quick. Looks like a decent wheat beer.

S: Interesting. Very strong citrus. Smells like a cider.

T: Strange. It's like someone dumped a shot of Apple cider into a wheat beer. Only a slight hint of honey.

M: Not bad. Cool and refreshing. Goes down smooth.

O: My first offering from Wild Wolf and it yields strange results. It tastes more like cider than a Belgium blonde. Whatever spice they used tastes like an apple. Weak on the honey taste. Mediocre representative of its genre. Sadly, this beer will probably keep me from trying more options from Wild Wolf which is a shame since it's made in my home state of Virginia. Nice label art though. Probably the reason I bought it.

4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

Had on draft when writing this review but I've purchased in cans before as well. A little sweet. A little hoppy. A little spicy. Nice golden hue. Has enough body and ABV for the winter but has the wheat and "hunny" to make it a summer beer as well. Tasty beer.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

12 oz can poured into a stemmed glass, born on date 11/13/14 at 12:48, very honey forward with a hint of spice which I like.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Serve on-tap in a tapered-waist clear serving glass at Fry Spring Station (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Soft honey-amber with a short cap of off-white head with poor retention and no lacing.

S: Aroma is sweet malt with some Belgian yeast spice and herbal hopping.

T: The honey presence is clear but there is not a whole lot else to suggest this beer. The hopping is herbal and earthy but light, and the malt component is pretty thin and wanting.

M: The mouthfeel is lighter than the ABV but the carbonation is way too light and it give the beer a thin, watery feel.

O: A really disappointing beer all the way around.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not the best blonde. No need to try again

2.57/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark yellow with a one finger white head that settles into a tiny layer over the beer. No lacing at all.

Aroma is very spicy and Belgiany but really lacks the punch I am looking for. Alcohol is also quite noticable along with a touch of lemon.

Too much alcohol in the flavor. Ethanol hits me immediately along with a lemony solvent note. Some yeasty spice in the background. Mouthfeel is like water with no body to it whatsoever along with a sticky finish.

Overall, this one needs to go back to the drawing board. Alcohol is way too noticable and the mouthfeel too watery.

2.26/5  rDev -36.2%

Growler selection taken home from Wild Wolf's facility. According to the menu, Blonde Hunny is "An unfiltered Belgian style Blonde Ale with wheat and a lot of local honey in every pour. We have also added a special spice blend to give it an added kick. Smooth and refreshing, but be careful- this one's ABV will sneak up on you. This beer is straw yellow in color with a slight sweetness in the middle and an estery finish characteristic of the best Belgian beers."

Poured from a growler to a Belgian snifter. Served at 45º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Aggressive pour yields a thin white creamy head with below average retention. Body color is a very hazy pale amber gold with subtle carbonation. Decent appearance and I liked the thick haziness, but its quite short on head quality. 3

(Smell) Wheat, prickly spice, grainy strong alcohol on a mild tart cracker yeast base. Honey is subtle, if present at all in this drink. Not a lot of depth in the aroma whatsoever, and the ester alcohol is very intense. The aroma is not particularly pleasing. 2

(Taste) Thin wheat malt base gives way to tart cracker and subtle spicy finish that, with the alcohol dominating, grinds the palate clean. A lot of ever-present sharp alcohol on the finish. I have no idea where the honey comes in, unless it directly contributes to the alcohol, which is intense and very estery, without contributing to the flavor at all. Depth of flavor isn't fantastic either, there's little surprises to the flavor aside from lots of booze, if that's your thing. Flavor is not very exciting nor is it enjoyable. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Quite flat, a little too slick. Alcohol presence is high. Body is low. Doesn't work with the limited flavors in the taste. The solution: A slightly more elevated body, and a much more concealed alcohol presence is favorable, plus a little more carbonation activity wouldn't hurt, either. 2

(Overall) I find that this beer's worst enemy is a lack of body to match the alcohol. Quite the boozy drinker, unfortunately it doesn't have a very high drinkability either. The recipe is a bit too simple and the "Belgian" quality is scarce too, aside from some subtleties, it tastes a lot like a spiced pale wheat ale, with a ton of strong alcohol to match. Honey doesn't pair too well with the flavor either, spiking the alcohol without adding much flavor diversity. Consider this a one-off or some kind of experimental pilot brew, through which it could improve vastly; I'd give this a pass in light of their Alpha Ale, which I enjoyed much, much more. 2

Wild Wolf Brewing Company's
Blonde Hunny Ale
2.28/5.00

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Belgian Pales generally don't do it for me. This one didn't break that pattern.

to view more.