Blonde Hunny Ale - Wild Wolf Brewing Company

Beer added by: Jadjunk on 08-02-2012

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

The CANQuest ™ CANtinues to pick up speed as I CANtinue to roll through some of my back inventory. This one came north in a trade, but lacked an approved pic, so I had to wait for that to happen before I could bring myself to lay hands on her, er, it.

From the CAN: “Belgian style Blonde Ale brewed with honey and spices”; “Howling Good Beer”; “Am unfiltered Belgian style Blonde Ale with wheat and a lot of honey in every pour. We have also added a special spice blend to give it an added kick. Smooth and refreshing, this beer is straw yellow in color with a slight sweetness in the middle and an estery finish characteristic of the best Belgian beers. If the yeast has settled, swirl before you pour.”

I love that they are encouraging me to swirl this Blonde around! My Hunny, #TheOldLady, does not dig what she perceives as my mishandling of beers, especially ones in CANs, but I find that an inverted Glug works for me.

I swirled the Blonde Hunny around, I Crack!ed her open, I turned her upside down so that she could Glug as much as she liked and she still only gave me a little bit of head! Story of my life. Really, though, the brief finger of foamy, bone-white head quickly fell to wisps. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5), so at least the swirl roused her up. Nose smelled kind of like the Saisons of the past couple of days. I was getting black pepper or coriander, a light honey sweetness, soft fruitiness and even a little mustiness. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely of honey, very sweet on the tongue initially, and then I got a light spiciness behind it. I am not a style maven, but they seemed to be playing fast and loose with a Belgian Blonde. Finish straddled between semi-sweet and semi-dry as the honey lent it an inherent sweetness, but the spices were working to dry it out. Not bad, but one Blonde, Begian or not, at a time for me in my advancing age.

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

3.17/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Yep, that's right. Another beer from the bodacious woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy yellowish color with a small head. Smell, is very mild, light fruits, not getting very much here. Taste is lemony, some yeast, a touch of spice. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Serve on-tap in a tapered-waist clear serving glass at Fry Spring Station (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Soft honey-amber with a short cap of off-white head with poor retention and no lacing.

S: Aroma is sweet malt with some Belgian yeast spice and herbal hopping.

T: The honey presence is clear but there is not a whole lot else to suggest this beer. The hopping is herbal and earthy but light, and the malt component is pretty thin and wanting.

M: The mouthfeel is lighter than the ABV but the carbonation is way too light and it give the beer a thin, watery feel.

O: A really disappointing beer all the way around.

3.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice, light summertime beer, Poured from the can into my Grape and Gourmet store tulip glass. Good light honey/amber color with a good size white head. Average lacing and retention.

Aroma is fairly mild but you can pick up the honey, wheat and some lemon. Pleasant.

Taste includes some sweetness from the honey, a little bite from the wheat and some Belgian yeast and lemon. Flavor is not that intense, but fine for a summer refreshment.

Mouthfeel is light and tart, Alcohol presence is not noticible.

A tasty thirst quencher, I would drink this one again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

12 oz can poured into a stemmed glass, born on date 11/13/14 at 12:48, very honey forward with a hint of spice which I like.

2.57/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark yellow with a one finger white head that settles into a tiny layer over the beer. No lacing at all.

Aroma is very spicy and Belgiany but really lacks the punch I am looking for. Alcohol is also quite noticable along with a touch of lemon.

Too much alcohol in the flavor. Ethanol hits me immediately along with a lemony solvent note. Some yeasty spice in the background. Mouthfeel is like water with no body to it whatsoever along with a sticky finish.

Overall, this one needs to go back to the drawing board. Alcohol is way too noticable and the mouthfeel too watery.

3.68/5  rDev +4%