American Pilsner - Wild Wolf Brewing Company

Virginia, United States

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: bubseymour on 05-27-2013

Our take on a German style Pilsner. We take your traditional German Pils and add a good old American Hop Punch. This beer is clean, crisp and refreshing. This golden lager is the perfect beer for hot Virginia summer days.
4.09/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Quick review. To qualify: this is the most expressive VA pilsner that I've tasted to date. Smooth biscuity malt plays perfectly against a very subtle & crisp hoppiness. I love the carbonation & the slightly reduced malt quality here. Quintessential American-style pils.

1.25/5  rDev -63.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I asked my brother in law to help me with a blind taste test between this and a Miller Lite. I felt that the Miller Lite had better color, nose and smell and was certain that the Lite must be the craft beer. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I really wanted to like this Pilsner from a Virginia craft brewery, but I found it to be really disappointing.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Coming over in a trade, I had given one to tone77 as part of our regular in-person gig, but I am trying to get caught up in terms of The CANQuest (TM) and am only getting to it this evening.

From the CAN: "AmeriCAN Pilsner"; " Howling Good Beer"; "Leave Only Pawprints! Pack it in - Pack It Out"; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable"; "Our take on a German style Pilsner. We take your traditional German Pils and add a good old Ameri[CAN] Hop Punch. This beer is clean, crisp and refreshing. A perfect beer for hot Virginia summer days."

This Wolf migrated northward to PA, but it is plenty hot and humid to make him feel right at home! We Cracked! him open in celebration of his safe arrival and in doing so, some foam fizzed up through the opening. I am wondering if the Wolfie boys may not have a problem with carbonation, and although it is counter-indicated, we held him upside down for an inverted Glug. Thankfully, I am well-practiced at this sort of thing and backed off before an overflow occurred. Even so, I ended up with about three fingers of foamy, bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a slightly hazy lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a grassy hop presence along with a toasted malt presence, adding up to a kind of lemon biscuit scent. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was both sweet and tart, very lemony and quite refreshing. Finish was semi-dry and the sweetish lemon flavor really lingered. I am still troubled by its inherent carbonation and since there are other CANned GER Pilsners now available from craft brewers, I would give this a pass unless Wild Wolf BC is local to you.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Yes, once again the master of canned beers, woodychandler, comes through with this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some sweetness. Taste is malts, a bit of lemon, slight sweetness, clean and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

2.47/5  rDev -27.6%

12 oz can. no best by or canned on date.

A: clean golden blond body. good clarity. head is bright, bright white. frothy with good retention . chunks of lacing left behind.

S: a mild german-esque hop aroma. oxidation. cardboard. not much on the grain end.

T: a little bit of oxidation going on here as there is a distinctive papery flavor. some hop character has broken down as the flavor is pretty lax. slight metallic flavor towards the finish and some raw bitterness.

M: average carb on a light body.

D: this needs to go back to the drawing board. that or some changes need to be made to add stability after it has been packaged. no idea how old this is doesn't help either. pass.

3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

No canned date; Poured in a pint glass.

A - About half an inch of white carbonated head with okay retention; Clear, shimmering gold in color with visible carbonation; Lacing is pretty scarce here

S - Lots of cereal and grains and good bit of herbal Noble hop presence; Bit of sweetness; Has a subtle, but noticeable lemon-like citrus quality

T - Similar to the nose, but with different proportions really; Lightly toasted cereal and grains are there, but not quite as forward; Quite a bit of herbal character as well as a refreshing lemon citrus flavor with no real tartness; Overall taste has a good dose of sweetness - almost honey-like

M - Moderate carbonation; Light bodied; Very smooth mouthfeel; Finishes crisp, clean, and fairly dry

O - As the label on the can reads, this is a good choice for a hot summer day. It does seem to be missing something to bring it up a notch, or maybe the sweetness could have been too much for me. Otherwise, it's a solid brew, though my preference still lies with some of Wild Wolf's other offerings.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance - Beer is pale yellow like a pilsner, and smells rather malty with a faint hint of the noble hops.

Taste - Unfortunately there isn't much flavor and its barely a step up from BMC pilsner/lagers. It is easy to drink and crisp, but I really don't taste much of the German hop flavors I'm used to expecting in a craft brewed pilsner.

Mouthfeel - fine for a light beer

Overall - THis beer is easy enough to drink and nothing is off-putting about it. It just lacks flavor. Good lawnmower beer at best.

American Pilsner from Wild Wolf Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.