2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sleep Over Coffee IIPA - To Øl

Sleep Over Coffee IIPASleep Over Coffee IIPA

To Øl visit their website
Denmark

A collaboration with Mikkeller. Brewed and bottled at De Proef.

(Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 04-14-2012)
View: Beers (53) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 84 | Reviews: 30 | Show All Ratings:
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

I never imagined this beer would ever exist – a coffee DIPA? As crazy as it sounds, I am really excited to try this one out.

A: Looks more like a DIPA mixed with coffee than a DIPA with coffee flavor, pouring a dark amber-orange with a dirty brown haze. Reminds me of dull carrot juice. The head is just as unique: it starts as a foamy two fingers, tan and creamy. And as the bubbles pop, the texture beings to look like cappuccino cream; it collapses in a churning, thickening manner. It seriously reminds me of coffee, which is a great thing for this beer.

S: Now that’s an odd mix of scents; there’s a huge blast of fresh-ground coffee at the start, though without the strong roast scents that are normal for coffee stouts. This is more of a strong cinnamon, bitterness, mineral, and acidic fruit, sort of like you would get from a dried out coffee-filter. It’s different, as expected. Hops are barely apparent, but you can make out a faint oil aroma of pine. A layer of malt shows a chocolate, roast, and caramel syrup with an herbal note of unanticipated anise; not too thick, though, giving this a bit of a thin profile under the initial coffee.

T: Rich, flavorful – its malt backbone is a bold, caramel-heavy thickness, a familiar DIPA taste. Toffee and maple make up even more syrupy sweetness, with a dedicated taste of toasted malt underneath. The bitters are lively and complex: iced coffee, thick, sticky pine, citrus rind, and an espresso bean kick. Delicious. Any fan of Stone’s black IPAs would enjoy this palate: I’m getting thick, chewy tastes of licorice and malty darkness, tobacco and fig. The aftertaste is incredibly earthy – coffee with sugar, walnut, mineral water, and vanilla – with a lasting sting of peppery American hops. Impressive!

M: This is the only place you feel the alcohol presence, drying as it builds a strong coating effect. The hops pepper the feel with intensity, balanced nicely with the warmth of the booze and the chewy grain presence. Much more drinkable than a coffee stout, but with all the boldness of a DIPA.

O: A pleasant surprise, most definitely. While the bottle was pretty expensive, it was a worthwhile investment; I may even pick a few up to age, just to see how much of the American DIPA character comes out from underneath the darkness of the coffee. The perfect morning alternative to a cup of Joe…just make sure you don’t have anywhere to be, because the 10.5% alcohol will knock you out.

04-29-2012 20:23:56 | More by BarryMFBurton
quinnsi

1.35/5  rDev -65.1%

It's been a while since I posted a review, but after tasting this beer, and then looking at what others had to say, I needed to throw my two cents in.

This appearance is murky brown, and not very appetizing.

This beer smells like trash, and I mean that literally. If you blindfolded me, put this beer in front of my nose, and told me that if I accurately guessed what I was smelling I'd get a hundred bucks, I'd say I was smelling a plastic bag filled with trash and day old coffee grinds.

The taste is a little better, and there are indeed some tropical hops flavors, mixed with coffee. However, the aftertaste is the same as the nose - straight trash. I could only muster a two sips and then I had to pour out the rest.

It seems that I may of had a spoiled bottle, although I've never tasted an infection like this. Not sour in any way, just rancid. I can't remember having a worse beer.

04-18-2012 00:32:58 | More by quinnsi
shamrock1343

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance brown cloudy with a little head. No lacing.

Smell you can smell the hops and the coffee.

Taste Some hops in the beginning with coffee in the middle with a citrus hop finish.

mouthfeel very stingy on the tongue. It is a little gritty.

This is a great beer. I think it is better than 120 or double trouble.

04-16-2012 04:38:19 | More by shamrock1343
PeterIngemi

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a new colab between tø ol/ mikkeller poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a duvel glass.

A- pours a murky brownish amber with three fingers of a large bubbled, fluffy off white head, the head fdissapates nicley leaving a heavy amount of beautiful lacing.

S- nice citrusy hop notes over a earthy roasted coffe backbone... Deffinatley some tropical fruit aromas poking through here, pinnepple and light grapefruit. A bit of light pine in there as well mingling with the light coffe notes... A very nice smelling brew.

T- is a lot like the nose... It seems like the hops are deffinatley up front here bringing a very nice blend of tropical fruit and pine with the coffe stepping in on the finish... To blend beautifully with the hops... It is not overly present but clearly there. Lightly roasted, giving an almost nuttyness on the finish with an ever slow slight hint of chocolate.... I really love the way all the flavors work together in this beer, it is very well rounded.

M- medium bodied with low carbonation... I'd say this brew has an almost creamy mouth feel... With a bit of a bitter finish of blended hops and coffe, very nicley rounded... Citrus peel, coffe and pine all rolled into one on the finish....

O - a very awesome brew!!!! Very well balanced, very drinkable considering the abv.... It remind me of the mikkeller koppi ipa, except even better, and I really enjoyed that beer... I would highly recommend picking this up if you have the chance.

04-14-2012 03:48:42 | More by PeterIngemi
jpro

South Carolina

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On-tap at Mikkeller and Friends in Copenhagen. Served in a 20c Mikkeller glass...

A: Light amber; cream head; impressive lace.

S: Coffee bean; hints of grapefruit rind and pine; big (raw) coffee aroma, though.

T: Piney hops initially... quickly followed by deep coffee flavor - wow, it's pretty huge; maybe a touch of smoked malt, too.

M: Full-bodied; moderate carbonation; a touch viscous on the palate.

O: A doozy of a brew... Imperial IPA + Coffee + 10.5% = maybe a bit too much, but still interesting and glad I tried it!

*from notes 3-31-13