Sleep Over Coffee IIPA - To Øl

Sleep Over Coffee IIPASleep Over Coffee IIPA

To Øl visit their website
Denmark

Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 04-14-2012

A collaboration with Mikkeller. Brewed and bottled at De Proef.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.52/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Date: 4/15/14
Location: Eagle Provisions
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: The beer pours the darkest amber I have ever seen from an IPA, clearly the adjuncts. The head is a half pinky width and white in color. Very interesting coloring for a beer.
Aromatics: Monstrously strong roasted whole bean coffee flavor. Toffee and caramel flavors. Strong wheats I really get little to no hops in the aroma.
Flavor: More of the coffee flavor in the beginning it's quite strong. Not to say it isn't drinkable, just one big flavor followed by other little ones. I still pick up some caramel flavors but a candied sugar is included in the taste. In the finish I finally pick up some of the hop flavor, I little floral and resinous.
Mouthfeel: The body is medium with a high carbonation. Little chew. The finish leaves a semi sweet, semi bitter semi roasted flavor that lingers for some time.
Notes: Bottled 9/24/13. Probably where all the hop flavor went the beer is nearly seven months old. I'd give it another try if it was fresh. (1,020 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a new colab between tø ol/ mikkeller poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a duvel glass.

A- pours a murky brownish amber with three fingers of a large bubbled, fluffy off white head, the head fdissapates nicley leaving a heavy amount of beautiful lacing.

S- nice citrusy hop notes over a earthy roasted coffe backbone... Deffinatley some tropical fruit aromas poking through here, pinnepple and light grapefruit. A bit of light pine in there as well mingling with the light coffe notes... A very nice smelling brew.

T- is a lot like the nose... It seems like the hops are deffinatley up front here bringing a very nice blend of tropical fruit and pine with the coffe stepping in on the finish... To blend beautifully with the hops... It is not overly present but clearly there. Lightly roasted, giving an almost nuttyness on the finish with an ever slow slight hint of chocolate.... I really love the way all the flavors work together in this beer, it is very well rounded.

M- medium bodied with low carbonation... I'd say this brew has an almost creamy mouth feel... With a bit of a bitter finish of blended hops and coffe, very nicley rounded... Citrus peel, coffe and pine all rolled into one on the finish....

O - a very awesome brew!!!! Very well balanced, very drinkable considering the abv.... It remind me of the mikkeller koppi ipa, except even better, and I really enjoyed that beer... I would highly recommend picking this up if you have the chance. (1,483 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle in to a snifter.

Opaque burnt orange color with a light tan 1/2" head. Recedes to 1/8", comes back nicely with a swirl. Leaves wide spotty curtains of lacing. Looks a little odd for a DIPA but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it's made with coffee.

Roasty, nicely bitter coffee comes out most on the nose with some orange and lemon zest. A little white pepper. Not too complex but it's nice how well the coffee and hops come together.

The taste reverses the nose, with juicy orange, lemon zest, and a little pine coming on first, followed by rich, smooth, roasty coffee. The finish is all coffee with a slight hop bitterness. Nicely balanced. Again, the hops and coffee go together well. Hides the ABV well.

The texture is excellent. Medium bodied, smooth, creamy in the middle but ends drier, lets the coffee and hops linger in the aftertaste.

Not your normal IPA but I liked it a lot. They made the coffee and hops come together better than I would have imagined. Unique, balanced, and well crafted. (1,046 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a hazy amber and golden color. One inch of head, with little lacing after.

S - Great coffee smell, but less than I had imagined. Nice dose of hops and pine in the background.

T - Interesting mix of hops, light citrus with a more prominent coffee presence. Bitter, but not excessive.

M - Mild to medium body, nice amount of carbonation and considering the high ABV.

O - Not a bad beer, I wasn't sure what to think of it in theory, but it came together pretty well. I would drink it again, but I don't know if I would search it out. (547 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance brown cloudy with a little head. No lacing.

Smell you can smell the hops and the coffee.

Taste Some hops in the beginning with coffee in the middle with a citrus hop finish.

mouthfeel very stingy on the tongue. It is a little gritty.

This is a great beer. I think it is better than 120 or double trouble. (319 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - It pours a deep orange/ light brown color with light head retention.

Aroma- Interesting earthy hops aromas, pine, citrus and the added roasted coffee notes really make it unique.

Taste- The taste is like somebody hopped the hell out of my coffee. It has some real nice bitterness, a little bit of sweetness up front and some umami.

Mouthfeel- It is medium to full bodied and has some warmth to it as well from the high ABV.

Overall- Very good and interesting beer. It’s more like a black IPA than a regular but a beer this unique couldn’t fit neatly into any category. (590 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -65.1%

It's been a while since I posted a review, but after tasting this beer, and then looking at what others had to say, I needed to throw my two cents in.

This appearance is murky brown, and not very appetizing.

This beer smells like trash, and I mean that literally. If you blindfolded me, put this beer in front of my nose, and told me that if I accurately guessed what I was smelling I'd get a hundred bucks, I'd say I was smelling a plastic bag filled with trash and day old coffee grinds.

The taste is a little better, and there are indeed some tropical hops flavors, mixed with coffee. However, the aftertaste is the same as the nose - straight trash. I could only muster a two sips and then I had to pour out the rest.

It seems that I may of had a spoiled bottle, although I've never tasted an infection like this. Not sour in any way, just rancid. I can't remember having a worse beer. (893 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smell of coffee in the right amount, in the mouth you can feel the hops and the coffee in harmony, and in the aftertaste you can feel the coffee..you can't notice the 10.5% alchool, great drinkability, a collaboration between To Øl and Mikkeller couldn't be nothing but a great beer (283 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Bell's tulip glass from a 11.2 oz bottle. This was a gift but I snagged a look at the price tag...yep Mikkeller. 7.49.

A- Hazy amber, retains a 2 inch head. As I drink, the amber color becomes watered down in appearance.
Sniff- Lacks the coffee kick that I look for in a coffee beer or coffee; not sure if the aroma is battling the IIPA smell with it. Either way, aroma is weak for me.
M- I like the carbonation in it. Light yet prominent
T- Now here is where I get the coffee. robust. The coffee flavor is a little bit sweet and lingers longer than the bitterness. Both coffee and citrus blend well at finish, but coffee remains supreme.
O- A nice treat, if you are a fan of IPAs and coffee beers. Definitely worth a try. Cheers (746 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%

Very complex, amazing beer. On first smell I thought sawdust that turned into espresso... a dusty espresso? The color is a light caramel that caught me off-guard, being that it’s an espresso beer. I really loved this beer, it reminded me of reading a really old book (in the smell) and sipping an espresso. The flavor of the beer hung-out with you for a while, but flavors got more complex the longer it hung out in the back of your mouth. I noticed some notes of dried plum through the complex flavors. The body and mouth feel were perfectly matched with the flavor tones. This beer felt like an 8.6% to me. Loved this beer! (627 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last