Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout - Evil Twin Brewing

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: dbrauneis on 04-18-2014

Reviews: 171 | Hads: 1,091
3.67/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Does America really need another Imperial Stout? Evil Twin seems to think so. There's 12 ounces of it, and I am here to drink it. On to the beer:

With the exception of a ruby brown hue at the edge of the glass, this beer is pitch black. A short tanned head forms on top, leaving a little bit of lacing. This beer smells boozy and sweet. There's a pleasant smokiness coming form the malt and a little sweetness. The booze takes getting used to and even then I thought that it could be better placed, even for its 12% ABV size.

It tastes boozy and sweet initially. This beer is also hot with its alcohol. Alcohol hits with a rubbing alcohol-like character that sticks to your tongue, then a sweet ride of smoked cocoa, raisins, white grapes. This rides in a big body which also has a low, but suitable level of carbonation. As the beer gets warmer, the alcohol looses some of its heat and makes a more comfortable drinking experience.

I Love You With My Stout is a fine beverage. Those into really boozy stouts will thoroughly enjoy this, but to me, I've had cachaça with neater booze than what's here.

3.56/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours thick and black into the glass as a small, dense head forms. The head is medium to moderate tan in color and a very dense froth. It hangs around a little while before reducing down to a ring of its former self. Lacing is decent.

S- Predominantly dark malt scents hit the nose first in a slightly burnt aroma. There is a touch of black licorice scent there as well before a lightly metallic scent appears in the middle of the smell. Right at the end of the smell there is just a touch of chocolate sweetness.

T- Starts off with a quick taste of the same burnt black malt flavor as the scent, but quickly jumps into strong black licorice flavors. The licorice flavor is very anise-like, being mostly bitter with just a minimal amount of sweetness. The flavor dominates the majority of the duration of the drink before moving back towards the bitter black malts at the end of the drink. Lingering flavor is dark and bitter on the tongue.

M- This beer is thick and smooth as expected, but surprisingly there is little presence of noticeable alcohol. Overall, it is a slower drink because of the heavier, bitter flavors.

Overall, this beer is dark and bitter and perfect for the lover of drier stouts. It displays of ton of anise/black licorice flavors and really makes you think differently about bitterness in a beer. Not bad for a try, but not my favorite style of imperial stout.

4.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was able to pick up a single for 4 bucks at Vintage Estate. Into a pint glass.
A - Good amount of head for the high octane a 1/4 inch of mocha goodness atop of one pitch black thick looking beer.
S - Smells rather good coffee roasts, slight licorice, a bit of dark chocolate and some sweetness.
T - Has a bit of Belgium yeast sort of bite to it. Rather sweet with some cocoa nibs and a touch of chalky sweetness reminds me of candy cigarettes. Smokey.
M - ABV takes it toll on this one being 12% it drinks lighter but drinks better I think.

Overall I like going to Vintage since the Evil Twin beers are under 4 bucks and my local guy charges over 6 for there offerings. Not sure if I would get this again it's kind of weird.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- black with caramel head light lacing
S- roasted malt, alcohol, nutty, coffee, chocolate
T- sweet, molasses, chocolate, nutty,
M- thick, creamy and smooth
O- nice stout with great mouth feel, high abv but easy to drink

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours an almost black with minimal head that disappears quickly. I didn't get a strong smell although my smeller isn't the best, roasted malt, chocolate, a touch of alcohol. Taste is a little coffee, roasted malt, & slight alcohol. The mouthfeel is thin for what I think it should be. Overall it's good, but for the price I'll have something else.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P: Black, opaque, small foamy rootbeer head. No lacing.
A: Dark chocolate, spices, Anise.
T: Bittersweet chocolate, spicey licorice, molasses. Slight alcohol.
M: Thick, creamy, coats the mouth nicely.
O: Outstanding modern day stout. The 12% is dangerous. Good job Evil Twins

1.95/5  rDev -52.9%

Appearance: just opaque black with a very thin offwhite head

Smell: slight smokiness to it and rubbing alcohol. not very strong smelling

Mouthfeel: like maple syrup.

Taste: As soon as it hits the tongue I'm hit with a blast of brown sugar. Its overwhelmingly sweet the whole way through and then at the tail end there is a little roasted flavor with a touch of prune. WAY too sweet for me.

Overall: if you like eating spoonfuls of brown sugar you're going to love it! If you want a well balanced stout don't bother.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: [3.75] The beer pours out black with no light penetration. It forms 1 1/2 fingers of creamy tan head with some medium bubbles. The head has great resilience. The bottle lists the ABV (12%). I found a date code - no idea what it means.

S: [3.25] Coffee, booze (I can get alcohol on the nose)

T: [3.50] Sweet caramel, toffee, coffee, candied sugar. This beer has a flavor that is really sweet.

M: [3.75] I got alcohol on the nose - but none on the taste. There is a slight pull in the throat of the high alcohol. The beer is creamy and smooth with nice body and carbonation.

O: [3.50] This is a definite sipper. Would be nice paired with a cigar. At first I thought it might pair well with dessert - but it is almost too sweet for that. It tastes like a melted hard candy. There is alcohol on the nose but it is well hidden in the taste. Really unique flavor. Not my favorite but still good.

3.01/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Are you kidding me? This may look like a stout, and kind of smell like a stout, but the mouthfeel is way too thin. And what is with the almost sour flavor on it?

4.99/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours deep black, with a capuccino looking foam head. Smell is strong, roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, some dark fruits, no hops. Taste is bitter and lightly sweet, strong and complex. Great Beer.

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle at Brasserie V in Madison, WI.

L: Cream-colored head stays longer than usual. Then thins around the edges. No sediment.

S: Dark, dark earthy smell. Licorice.

T: Black licorice. Hardcore. Peppery, almost, but not spicy.

F: This beer comes to life on your tongue. It fizzes up, billows into a cloud, which is very unique and interesting. It's not bouncy, like Courage Russian Imperial Stout, it's a thinner cloud, more airy. Splashy, but not splattery. Very nice.

O: This is a fun one. More back of tongue, almost-bitterness, than other American Double Imperials. But it's a fun standby. Pours like motor-oil. Was recommended by the barman at Brasserie V after I told him I loved BCBS.

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

black/brown color,
good clarity around edged of glass,
frothy head that dissipates rather quickly-
into bubbles settling an a thin ring around the glass with
no apparent lacing

baker’s chocolate
spices - clove, cinammon
apple pie

a little roasty
caramelized sugar
Riesen candy
finish: apple pie with a hint of chocolate
slight alcohol burn on swallow
port-like at the front as it warms

nice subtle carbonation
light syrup consistency on palate
fairly smooth and light for it’s style
a slippery ease going down

I loved this beer with my snout, and my mouth too…hmm…TMI? It started off nicely and got even better as the beer warmed, peaking in complexity as it reached the temperature at which I’d ideally drink red wine. The fruits are there working seamlessly with chocolate and spices. The nose is so bright for a stout upon first whiff. It makes it a very seductive drinking experience, drawing you in with it’s exotic smell and finishing you with the same taste left on your palate. It may or may not be love, but it sure does feel (and smell, and taste) good.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle, 120:15 stamped on the bottle, not sure if that's supposed to be the julian date or not. Served in a snifter, the beer pours bark brown/black with about an inch tan head that stayed around for a very long time. There's also a lot of lacing. I like the aroma, the brew smells like bittersweet chocolate, coffee, licorice, burnt/charred malt and a bit of dark fruit. The taste is mostly like the aroma, it tastes like bittersweet chocolate, licorice, dark fruit (cherry, plum), burnt/charred malt, and some smokiness and coffee. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's creamy and slick with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought this was a pretty good brew. $4.09 for a single bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -24.9%

“Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout” sounds like something I might say if Amber Heard was my evil twin separated at birth and I was attempting to enter a forbidden tryst with her whilst downing a tasty Double Imperial Stout, but no it is simply the name of this latest insane brew by Evil Twin that I am about to imbibe whilst recording my thoughts on the subject. Fact: This is review #600 for me. Interesting, for someone as obsessed with milestones as I am I forgot to record which beer was #550, I think it was Nail Oatmeal Stout... who cares [me obviously] here is #600.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: I’m really getting bored of how to describe Stouts - let’s just say it’s black and it has an off-white head that soon dies down to a lace ring alright? Fine? Done. Actually looks as decent as any other heavy DIS, I’m surprised by how light the head is though. 8/10.

S: Infected/bad beer? Possibly - it has a definite sour cider apple aroma to it, not what one would expect in a Stout of any style. Best before date is a cryptic 365:14:15:20... what does that mean? Anyone? Another whiff reveals some toasted stale bread and burnt sugar. 6/10.

T: This is one crazy different Stout if it isn’t infected/bad with straight brown sugar, pear, vodka, bitter herbal notes going on. Not your average DIS with all this fruit ester business going on - it has an overripe green pear flavour which really puts this in a category of its own as far as Stouts go. Though I am almost completely convinced something is amiss here. 6/10.

M: Medium bodied with a dense slight fizzy carbonation... the last beer I had (Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout) had a great deal more body at less ABV. 7/10.

D: This is one average at best brew, but primarily due to the fact that it is likely infected/bad/past use by date, who knows really, either way I did not enjoy this brew and like their Yang I found myself popping a couple Ibuprofen with Codeine just to avoid the impending hangover. I expected a lot more from Evil Twin, who did alright for me with their 13% ABV Molotov Cocktail... I really need to get my hands on a fresh bottle of Imperial Biscotti Break - that sounds right up my alley. 6/10.

4.89/5  rDev +18.1%

My thoughts on this are the exact same as for Lil'B: A sweet malt-bomb of a beer, the thick-and-creamy mouthfeel are totally devoid of alcohol flavor; deliciously sweet and smooth, especially considering its high ABV..

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Jet black with medium tan head. Good lacing.

Smell: Lots goig on here, chocolate, coffee and some earthy smells all very present. Molasses shows a bit as well.

Taste: Holy sugar this beer is sweet. Follows the smell pretty closely. There are some nice chocolate flavors that go well with the sweetness but it needed a bit of roastiness to cut down the sweetness a bit. All the flavors combine well though and hide the alcohol remarkably well.

Feel: Good thick mouthfeel and no alcohol burn, just a bit of warming on the way down.

Overall: A damn good stout, especially for the price. Dangerous at 12%. I'll have to pick up a couple four packs to keep for awhile.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an Other Half All Green Everything tulip. The look on this stout is jet black thick motor oil with a small light brown/tan head. Very strong smell of chocolate, vanilla and roasted malts. The taste is bitter chocolate, charred malts and some vanilla, but not nearly the amount that is so apparent in the smell. Alcohol is apparent, but for 12% it certainly isnt too boozy. Feel is great, very heavy. Overall another Evil Twin stout that gets two thumbs up in my books. Not on the same level as biscotti break, but $12.99 for a 4pk should silence the people who hate on Evil Twin for their price point.

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Steady tan head over oily black. 4
Ash, liquorice, and grape seed extract. 4
Big dark candy sugar, some anise, some sugared prune, carob, and slight spicy tingle. 3.75
Ash cut and smooth linger.
Smooth, no heat, round. 4.25

Sweet! And not much else. Not hugely deep - could use some roast to cut dry. Way easy - silky residual sugars and miraculously burn-free - but not so worth the ABV headache. 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I enjoyed this aged bottle on a fresh palate during our annual stout tasting poured chilled from the bottle into a stout glass.

The color is black and opaque with quick dropping medium tan head and slight speckle of lace sticks. The smell has strong caramel and light stone fruit with gentle chocolate malt character and mild alcohol in the aroma with hint of spice. The feel is big and boozy with medium bitterness and semi-dry with moderate carbonation and mild alcohol in the mostly dry finish.

The taste is very good with bittersweet cocoa and light herbal and spicy quality with moderate alcohol in the taste and slight cherry-like stone fruit flavor coming through with slight char-note and dark toasted grain with mild fusel quality in the finish. Overall I enjoyed this and would get it again but it is intense and not shy with the alcohol even though it is very drinkable for the strength

3.61/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Heavy charred malts and burnt sugars. I Don't pick many finer flavors out typically found in good stouts (coffe, chocolate, vanilla) just the booze and a extreme sweetness comes through. Lots of better options out there (Pt5, , Narwhal, etc...)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

found a single of this at my local pours thick and dark with a nice mocha head thaaat reveals nice lacing , smells of roasted malt , chocolate dark fruit and vanilla/coffee,taste follows the nose except the brew > smell reaaly smooth with the coffee/malts some hop bitterness with dark/sour fruit presence,nicely carbed for a stout ABV well hidden, this stout is very good would buy it again

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a very good RIS and my first Eviltwin beer. Flavor is heavy on burnt sugar, figs and raisins. The high ABV is clearly present but not overwhelming. A great beer overall and very good for the style. Looking forward to even more Jesus and imperial biscotti break. Cheers

3.64/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm conflicted on this one. It looks and smells great, but is a sweet mess, which masks the other flavors. I'm glad to have tried this one, but won't likely try again.

4.99/5  rDev +20.5%

22 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a half of a finger of chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Intense! Earthy, rich, aromas of roasted malt and freshly ground coffee beans as well as a ton of chocolate, brown sugar, molasses and hints of licorice. There are notes of freshly toasted dark bread, and a hint of smoke as well. Delicious!

Taste: Wow! Rich, earthy, complex, and friggin’ delicious! Strong flavors roasted malt up front, imparting notes of freshly brewed coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of smoke. There’s tons of brown sugar and dark molasses-like sweetness, as well as chicory, a hint of licorice, some boozy alcohol and at the finish, a touch of coffee-like bitterness. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and creamy, thick and satisfying and no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 12%, there is a very pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate.

Overall: This is an exceptionally delicious beer! Roasty, malty, rich, earthy, complex, sweet, slightly smoky and slightly bitter. Spectacular! It’s one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts that I’ve had. Easily up there with Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy, Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout, Founders’ Imperial Stout, etc. Highly recommended!

2.98/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I love Evil Twin's Yin & Yang and was really looking forward to trying this one, but unfortunately it's not for me. The big problem is its way too syrupy sleep. Feels more like I am drinking pancake than beer. Not terrible by any means, but I will stick to Yin & Yang

Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout from Evil Twin Brewing