Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout - Evil Twin Brewing

Beer added by: dbrauneis on 04-18-2014

Reviews: 171 | Hads: 1,089
Reviews by Cubatobaco:
4.57/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Stone snifter from a bottle that was bottled 4/16/14. I purchased this at The Charleston Beer Exchange.

A - Pours a dense, black, viscous body with about 2 inches of khaki head head. Once it recedes, it leaves a sticky, yet chunky lacing on the glass. It's as if there is melted chocolate ice cream resting on the body of the beer. Absolutely gorgeous!

S - The initial smell gives off everything I love about big stouts! You can probably guess what they are, but here are a few: bitter dark chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, caramel, etc. The list goes on! If there are as many flavors in the taste and there is in the aroma, it will be hard to disappoint.

T - Now this is how a stout should taste! For a split second it reminds me of Samuel Smiths RIS. This is a big, bold stout with flavors that resemble to nose. Dark roasted coffee, Nestle baker's chocolate (comes in the yellow bag at the store). I'm also picking up maple syrup, vanilla, and a touch of alcohol.

M - This is more a long the lines of a full-bodied stout and sweet to the core. There is a booziness that let's you know this isn't going away lightly. Nice finish that lingers for a good amount of time.

O - The entire time I've been drinking this, I'm trying to think if this is sold in my area. If I had to, I would order more of this in a heart beat. I can see how this would benefit from cellaring, but if it drinks this well fresh, I may have to rethink my cellaring tactics! Enjoy!

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

"Don't worry Jeppe, I love you with my stout too!"

Perhaps awkwardly worded in title, but not so much in balance- Evil Twin's newest imperial stout is indeed a monster, yet with a lot of love to give. Its sticky roasted sweetness aligns on the early palate and nose with dark-roast coffee and heavy whipping cream. Lavish vanilla, milk sugar at nearly the concentration of aspartame and balance its chocolaty, nutty, and coffee bean earthiness with ease.

The middle palate is deeply robust with notions of chicory, mild charred fruit, charred toastiness and an introduction of grassy hops. Retaining is densely malted body and flavor, bitterness intensifies despite its cake batter creaminess, bittersweet chocolate and oily viscosity

Trailing with a wake of coffee and chocolate lingering behind, its tremendous warmth is seldom felt. But the weight of its residual malt sweetness is balanced by the tandem of spicy burnt wood and its acute and gripping hop bitterness.

In its waning sips, its creme-like foam is long gone but its inky black residue continues to cling to the glass like brandy. The stout's own enormity creates much of its complexity as the dialogue of roasted barley, sugar, bitterness and complementing alcohol and acidity make up the bulk of its taste.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Bottled on 4/16/14. Pours black hole dark color with zero light coming through and a massive creamy 3 finger brown that had a ton of tiny bubbles and did not move for about a minute; faded slowly is an understatement, this was like watching paint dry slow. Left outstanding lacing coating the sides, rings as it went down and a creamy layer on top – nailed this one, perfection.

Smells of cocoa powder, roasted grains, dark chocolate, burnt coffee, brown sugar, Chocolate Reddi Wip (whipped cream), caramel, toffee, charred wood, fresh citrus hops and mild alcohol. Nose matches the looks, but the way the hops come through like pineapple was unexpected and yet very welcomed and enjoyable. The chocolate and coffee notes were simply delicious to inhale.

Thankfully it tastes like it smells with a mix of chocolates (Nestle chocolate chips and Hershey’s chocolate syrup come to mind), cocoa powder, roasted grains, vanilla, burnt coffee, brown sugar, sweet cream or half and half, caramel, toffee, charred wood, fresh citrus hops, chicory and mild alcohol. Burped up after a sip and the hops came up like an IPA, which is quite a trick to pull that off with all the rich, roasted chocolate complexities involved. The smoked malts reminded me of a smoke beer, but the acrid burnt flavor was washed away by a coffee milkshake with extra chocolate syrup in it for a sweet and bitter aftertaste. 12% ABV, where the hell is that??? It’s well hidden and the flavor of this shocked me as it may be the smoothest Evil Twin stout that I’ve tasted.

Mouthfeel is slick, creamy and chewy at the same time, with a heavy body that is like a shake with mild carbonation and a bitter finish that’s like burnt Starbucks coffee with a shot of espresso and a burnt chocolate chip cookie floating in it, add in a squirt of Hershey’s chocolate syrup and a dash of cocoa powder and dry Cascade hops and that’s how I sum up this beer. Not as expensive as the Evil Twin bombers, this is an affordable option to get your Evil Twin stout fix. Tasty, fun and damn enjoyable, it’s just below a world class stout to me but close enough that I will seek this out and highly recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

On draft, pours a very still black, extremely low carbonation and zero head.

The nose is roast, wood chips and oak, a little fruity, cherries, dark chocolate and lots of booze. The flavor is much more balanced than the nose implies, sweet dark fruit, oak and bourbon, vanilla, some caramel and molasses. The alcohol is very present and this is a bit sweet for me. This may mellow with some time, but even right now its still drinkable and enjoyable.

3.11/5  rDev -24.9%

“Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout” sounds like something I might say if Amber Heard was my evil twin separated at birth and I was attempting to enter a forbidden tryst with her whilst downing a tasty Double Imperial Stout, but no it is simply the name of this latest insane brew by Evil Twin that I am about to imbibe whilst recording my thoughts on the subject. Fact: This is review #600 for me. Interesting, for someone as obsessed with milestones as I am I forgot to record which beer was #550, I think it was Nail Oatmeal Stout... who cares [me obviously] here is #600.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: I’m really getting bored of how to describe Stouts - let’s just say it’s black and it has an off-white head that soon dies down to a lace ring alright? Fine? Done. Actually looks as decent as any other heavy DIS, I’m surprised by how light the head is though. 8/10.

S: Infected/bad beer? Possibly - it has a definite sour cider apple aroma to it, not what one would expect in a Stout of any style. Best before date is a cryptic 365:14:15:20... what does that mean? Anyone? Another whiff reveals some toasted stale bread and burnt sugar. 6/10.

T: This is one crazy different Stout if it isn’t infected/bad with straight brown sugar, pear, vodka, bitter herbal notes going on. Not your average DIS with all this fruit ester business going on - it has an overripe green pear flavour which really puts this in a category of its own as far as Stouts go. Though I am almost completely convinced something is amiss here. 6/10.

M: Medium bodied with a dense slight fizzy carbonation... the last beer I had (Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout) had a great deal more body at less ABV. 7/10.

D: This is one average at best brew, but primarily due to the fact that it is likely infected/bad/past use by date, who knows really, either way I did not enjoy this brew and like their Yang I found myself popping a couple Ibuprofen with Codeine just to avoid the impending hangover. I expected a lot more from Evil Twin, who did alright for me with their 13% ABV Molotov Cocktail... I really need to get my hands on a fresh bottle of Imperial Biscotti Break - that sounds right up my alley. 6/10.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Drank 3 in a sitting. Wet myself, insulted my in-laws, and woke up naked with the family dog. 4.75/5, would drink again.

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Rum soaked raisins up front. Boozy vanilla and oaky notes assault the senses. Lots of rich dark fruit character. Very inviting.

Appearance: Jet black pour with a 2 finger khaki head. Head retention is fair. Appears still in the glass. Nice legs coat the snifter.

Flavor: More boozy raisin and vanilla notes up front. A pleasant roasted character asserts mid-palate. Notes of espresso, caramel, and toasted marshmallow fill the palate. There is a background earthy hop bitterness. Balance is to the roasted bitterness. Finish is dry with a long roasted aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Slightly oily and creamy.

Overall impression: A big, bad, bold stout. Worth savoring and aging. Well done!

4.99/5  rDev +20.5%

22 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a half of a finger of chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Intense! Earthy, rich, aromas of roasted malt and freshly ground coffee beans as well as a ton of chocolate, brown sugar, molasses and hints of licorice. There are notes of freshly toasted dark bread, and a hint of smoke as well. Delicious!

Taste: Wow! Rich, earthy, complex, and friggin’ delicious! Strong flavors roasted malt up front, imparting notes of freshly brewed coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of smoke. There’s tons of brown sugar and dark molasses-like sweetness, as well as chicory, a hint of licorice, some boozy alcohol and at the finish, a touch of coffee-like bitterness. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and creamy, thick and satisfying and no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 12%, there is a very pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate.

Overall: This is an exceptionally delicious beer! Roasty, malty, rich, earthy, complex, sweet, slightly smoky and slightly bitter. Spectacular! It’s one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts that I’ve had. Easily up there with Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy, Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout, Founders’ Imperial Stout, etc. Highly recommended!

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First off, I don't get the name of this beer. Kinda dumb.

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized Belgian tulip.

Great frothy, dark khaki head. Persists well. Leaves a layer of lace over the body and ring around the edges of the glass. Pitch-black body. 4.5

That's a potent smelling stout though. Sticky malt aroma and dark chocolate that almost borders on syrup. Somehow there's a faint berry flavor, not sure if it's the result of the yeast, the hops, or the malt. Pretty attractive though. 4.25

Bit of brown sugar and molasses join the fray here. I still get a berry-quality, dark chocolate and a bit of booze. The finish lingers with baker's chocolate dryness and flavor. As the beer warms I start tasting fruitcake-like flavors: jammy orange peel, cranberry, and a boozy-marzipan-like taste. Quite a lot going on here. Not sure what's bringing about all these flavors but it's impressive. If not for the boozy heat, this score would be over the top. 4.25

I've noted the booze, but there's a roasted feel, sweetness in abundance but of an adult-kind, and a slightly bitter, dryer finish. There's a bit of a zesty feel too, which is quite unique. 4.25

This brew is damn good. No two ways about it.

2.19/5  rDev -47.1%

Disappointing. I love Evil Twin imperial stouts in general, Even More Jesus is one of my all time favorites. And while I like sweeter imperial stouts, this one was just off-the-charts on cloying sugary sweetness. Coupled with highly abrasive bitterness and booziness... This one is a big miss. Reminiscent of drinking unfermented wort aside from the booziness. Most like drinking off-brand chocolate syrup mixed with hop extract and a shot of everclear.

4.11/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar lacing & good head retention

S: Dark fruit & carob

T: Molasses, charred grain, carob& dryness, some roastyness up front. Booze, raisins & dryness all come together as this warms, faint smokeyness. faint caramel notes & leafy hops. Finishes with warming booze, smokey, a little bit of caramel

MF: Thick, subtle carbonation, nice warming boozeyness

Not perfect, but a well put together take on the style

4.81/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark brown, appearing opaque black in the glass, with a half finger medium brown head with great retention and lacing. Rich aroma of chocolate cake, dark toasted malt, caramel, hints of char, orange citrus and dark dried fruit. Flavor equally rich, heavy on dark chocolate, lightly charred toasted malt, caramel, dark fresh and dried fruit, tobacco, hints of vanilla. Finishes with long lingering combination of quality dark chocolate, mild smoke, and dark toasted malt, a hint of hops. Thick, creamy mouth feel. Outstanding in all ways, one of the more complex but chocolatey stouts I've had, without the sweetness of most chocolate stouts. This will stand up to any barrel aged stout out there. I've had quite a few remarkable stouts in the last year (many from Evil Twin) and this one still floored me. I hope I can still find another bottle to drink this again. This one says it is brewed in Connecticut, so not a Westbrook brewed one? Westbrook has been excellent, so if this is someone else, they have stepped up to the plate. Superb and delicious. I can't think how I would improve the flavor of this.

3.26/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks great. However, the nose and taste aren't. Heavy on sweet maltiness. not much roast. thin mouthfeel.

2.56/5  rDev -38.2%

Overly sweet, reminiscent of home brews with too much priming sugar, all sugar, no beer effort.

3.22/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Way too sweet. I can't even remember much else about it, it made me feel like I was drinking maple syrup and I had a headache in the mourning.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours viscous and pitch black with a two finger, dark mocha head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Excellent retention, taking a while to settle and leaving streaks of soapy lacing behind. Completely opaque with an impressively dark coffee colored head.

Slightly smokey roasted dark malt aroma with sweet booze and dessert-like lighter malt notes. Very robust with hints of charcoal and liquid smoke followed by burnt toast, old coffee grinds, oatmeal and dark chocolate. Slightly one dimensional with all of the deep roast. The sweeter, lighter malt notes are really overpowered and it smells pretty boozy.

Full body with a flavor profile that's very similar to the aroma. There's some strong boozy heat up front along with robust, overly roasted dark malt flavor. These flavors dominate the palate with strong alcohol and smokey, burnt malt lingering over the sweeter light malt notes into a dry, almost acrid finish. Hints of burnt sugar, deeply roasted coffee bean, charcoal, toast and bittersweet dark chocolate make this beer overwhelmingly dry and a bit harsh to drink. The booze provides some sweetness but this beer is lacking in balance. I was hoping for some sweeter, dessert-like malt flavor to counter the roast/bitterness but unfortunately, there just isn't enough of it in there. After it warms considerably, I'm picking up some bakers chocolate, fudge and caramel which help tone down the alcohol and deep roast. My palate is starting to adjust to the alcohol and it becomes a bit easier to drink as I make my way through the glass. Overall, this beer is intense and a bit too one dimensional for my liking.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Inky black body with a quarter inch of viscous beige head. Big time Danish roast aroma. Chocolates, dark fruit, a hint of char. Thick and palate coating. Rich and full bodied. Dark fruits, dark chocolates, and a delicate, gentle warming finish. A graceful and elegant beer. These brothers can sure brew some fine tasting stouts.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

12 Oz bottle poured into glass.

A: Pours a dark motor oil color with a mocha head that dissipates cleanly with no lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Little bit of ch9colare, little bit of coffee, lot bit of booze.

T: boozy, but not to a fault. Hints of the chocolate and coffee notes seep past the booze.

M: bitter aftertaste lingers.

O: it's complex, it's boozy, it could age ridiculously well. Very nice now, though.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%