Evil Twin Yin - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin YinEvil Twin Yin

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rfgetz on 04-22-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin Yin Alström Bros
3.81/5  rDev -3.5%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark brown in color. Decent roast in the nose. This offering has the roastiness and body of a standard stout but the alcohol of a double stout. The alcohol does not hide either; frankly, it gets a touch acrid on the finish.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

I picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Yin a month and a half ago for $3.59 at Holiday Market. I'm in the mood for a Stout tonight and this one sounds a little interesting, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/18/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple design to it and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just a little over a fingers worth of brown head that died died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a burnt sugar like aroma and it starts off with the malts which impart a nice dark roasted malt aroma with a nice cocoa aroma seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes an unusual aroma that starts off with a soy sauce like aroma that goes right into a some tobacco and slight leather. Towards the end I get some earthy hops aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but the soy sauce was unwanted and I don't think the leather and tobacco worked that great with it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has a little bit of burnt sugar aspect to it with the roasted malts still showing up first and this time they impart more of a charred malt aspect. Up next comes some of those leather and tobacco aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are lighter with no soy sauce this time. On the finish comes the hops which impart the same earthy hop aspects with a medium amount of bitterness along with some boozy and slightly warming alcohol that lingers into the aftertaste along with a charred malt, smokey and earthy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting stout, but it was a little too heavy on the charred malts for me.

M- A little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had an ok mouthfeel, but I felt like it was too thin and boozy with a little too much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, it just wasn't as balanced and as complex as I wanted it to be and in the end it just seemed to be rough around edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, not filling and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one back to back. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a good looking Stout. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't that great and it really held this beer back. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I can't say I would recommend it, it's not hard to find a better Imperial Stout. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but it left me wanting more and while it was a little unique I can't say that the flavors worked that well together. This isn't my favorite evil twin beer and it's in the middle at best for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark brown color with a big brown thick chocolatey head. Decent retention and excellent lacing. Aroma is pretty heavily roasted coffee and chocolate. A bit of smokiness. Sweet molasses. Taste is surprisingly....subtle. Some noticeable bitterness up front. The roasted malts aren't as present as in your typical stout. The flavor leans more toward coffee than chocolate. Pretty heavily roasted. Licorice comes through a bit as it warms. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy. A tiny bit of alcohol bite. The more subtle taste results in a Stout that is shockingly easy to down. Although the taste is pleasant, its subdued nature is a bit off-putting for a stout, and definitely unexpected for a 10%er. If you're looking for a Stout that has a high percentage, decent taste, and easy to drink, look no further than this. Nevertheless, I'm still a little bit disappointed with my first Evil Twin brew.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%