Evil Twin Yin - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: rfgetz on 04-22-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin Yin Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

evil twin. they just keep making great beers

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark brown in color. Decent roast in the nose. This offering has the roastiness and body of a standard stout but the alcohol of a double stout. The alcohol does not hide either; frankly, it gets a touch acrid on the finish.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

I picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Yin a month and a half ago for $3.59 at Holiday Market. I'm in the mood for a Stout tonight and this one sounds a little interesting, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/18/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple design to it and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just a little over a fingers worth of brown head that died died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a burnt sugar like aroma and it starts off with the malts which impart a nice dark roasted malt aroma with a nice cocoa aroma seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes an unusual aroma that starts off with a soy sauce like aroma that goes right into a some tobacco and slight leather. Towards the end I get some earthy hops aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but the soy sauce was unwanted and I don't think the leather and tobacco worked that great with it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has a little bit of burnt sugar aspect to it with the roasted malts still showing up first and this time they impart more of a charred malt aspect. Up next comes some of those leather and tobacco aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are lighter with no soy sauce this time. On the finish comes the hops which impart the same earthy hop aspects with a medium amount of bitterness along with some boozy and slightly warming alcohol that lingers into the aftertaste along with a charred malt, smokey and earthy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting stout, but it was a little too heavy on the charred malts for me.

M- A little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had an ok mouthfeel, but I felt like it was too thin and boozy with a little too much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, it just wasn't as balanced and as complex as I wanted it to be and in the end it just seemed to be rough around edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, not filling and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one back to back. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a good looking Stout. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't that great and it really held this beer back. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I can't say I would recommend it, it's not hard to find a better Imperial Stout. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but it left me wanting more and while it was a little unique I can't say that the flavors worked that well together. This isn't my favorite evil twin beer and it's in the middle at best for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%