Evil Twin Ashtray Heart - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.90% ABV

Beer added by: SilentSabre on 07-28-2011

Brewed at De Molen, the Netherlands..
3.51/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

4.34/5  rDev +16%

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a dimpled mug. Apparently smoked porters aren't really my thing, I love Stone, but I didn't like their smoked porter with vanilla bean, and it is highly rated. With this the pour, color, and mouth feel were fine, but I got smoked fish, and band aid in the nose, and the flavor came off like burnt band aid. I have liked almost all Evil Twin brews I have had, but this was a major disappointment, at least for me. Again, it is probably just not my style, but I think it would of went well with BBQ'ed pork as a pairing.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Meadhall in Cambridge few weeks ago, served in a snifter. Interesting stout-meets-smoke beer combination. Good taste but probably couldn't have more than one in a sitting. Fairly light mouthfeel for a stout. Slightly oily. Ashtray is a good comparison. Needs food pairings like cheese or meat, neither of which I had when I drank it.

4.11/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am most definitely an Eviltwin fan. I had some a while back and now recently I've had a few huge winners. That's what this is. A huge winner.

First off, the current labeling as a smoked porter is what I would call this, and as such, it works. Its the expected oil can black with a beautiful head and lace. The aroma is smoked, roast malts. The taste is a rich creamy roastyheavily smoked flavor. Like the best Rauch bier. I've had smoked porters before, but this one is American style-over the top. I'm going to seek out more evil twins. Theyhave been spectacular.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.75/3/3.75/3/3.25
Deep dark pour, though the consistency appears a little thin. Massive brown head, but not particularly smoothe.

Smells like smokey burnt malts and metal.

Unsurprisingly there's a fair amount of ashy smoke to the front. After that we get into some molasses and alcohol. Not much nuance, and doesn't feel well put together. Way overcarbonated. Finish wants to be ashy bitter, but comes across more like leftover alcohol. Honestly kind of reminds me of a homebrew I did a while back that I messed up on and didn't come out right. In general Evil Twin seems to be money when it comes to the big and dark, but this one feels like a miss.
Swerve

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass
A- Black with a dark nutty brown head, about a finger-sized head. Small bubbles with not much lacing at all
S- Smoky malt dominates the nose with a woody scent coming through that I can't pick up on. Maybe cedar?
T- Heavy smokiness on the sip. Almost has an ashtray quality to it. Roasted malt comes next with a slight bitter chocolate
M- Medium-bodied, medium carbonation. Somewhat creamy.
O- About what I expected. The smoke wasn't overpowering but definitely the lead character in this show.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%