Evil Twin Ashtray Heart - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.90% ABV

Beer added by: SilentSabre on 07-28-2011

Brewed at De Molen, the Netherlands..

2.32/5  rDev -38%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Draft at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pitch black and opaque with a two finger, frothy beige head that has really good retention, slowly fading into a thick, lasting ring.  Streaks of lace left behind.

Intense aroma with lots of smoke, butane and a very strong phenol/bandaid character.  Strong smokiness in the nose with lots of ash, lighter fluid and charcoal.  There's nothing else here to balance out the prominent bandaid/phenols which are really unpleasant.  Almost all of the other dark malt notes are completely overshadowed.

Full bodied with a slightly creamy texture and a very intense burnt/smoke flavor.  Really overwhelming with strong acrid unpleasantness.  Everything tastes like burning!   Charred toast, burnt malt, charcoal burnt wood and ashtray.   Really strong but the phenol presence isn't as bad as expected.  It's there but not as offensive as it is in the aroma.  Still, this beer is very harsh and a chore to choke down.  I'm a huge fan of smoked beers but I didn't like this beer at all.

2.72/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a dimpled mug. Apparently smoked porters aren't really my thing, I love Stone, but I didn't like their smoked porter with vanilla bean, and it is highly rated. With this the pour, color, and mouth feel were fine, but I got smoked fish, and band aid in the nose, and the flavor came off like burnt band aid. I have liked almost all Evil Twin brews I have had, but this was a major disappointment, at least for me. Again, it is probably just not my style, but I think it would of went well with BBQ'ed pork as a pairing.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into a tulip. The color is black and there is a thin tan head that only showed up after an aggressive pour.

The aroma is full of char and smoke, hinting at salt and olives.

The taste is full of charred wood, with a bitter char finish. This is very smokey, with the stout elements taking a back seat. The after taste seems a bit salty. I'm not sure I love the balance here, but it could fill a niche.

The mouthfeel is oily, and the carbonation mellow. The body is pretty big. This one drinks slowly.

This was okay, I'll have to try another, less polarizing style from Evil Twin. I could imagine smoked beer fans loving this.

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

A -- This is a pretty good looking beer. Very dark brown to black, with brown head. I didn't get much of a head, but I don't really mind that.

S -- I was surprised at how smoky this was. I was expecting coffee, chocolate, vanilla, etc., normally found in an RIS, but got tons of smoke that kind of overpowered all that. Is it possible that this beer is miscategorized as an RIS?

T -- Really intense and complex. Kind of reminded me of Expedition Stout, with some strong dark fruit flavors. But there was a dominant flavor that I found very, very off-putting. I would describe it as kind of a sour flavor, but not in the sour beer way (which I actually like). Unfortunately, I cannot describe it better than that. I just found it very unpleasant, and could not get beyond it. Perhaps it was the smoke?

M -- This beer has pretty solid mouthfeel. Rich and creamy. Unexpectedly so, as a matter of fact. To me, this was the best part of the experience.

Overall -- I bought two of these, and probably won't buy any more. I will throw the second one in the cellar for a year and see if the flavor changes for the better.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

11.2oz bottle to snifter. $9.00 for the single. Sampled 10/14/11 with a best before date of 2015.

A: Pours with a small 1/2 finger head made of compact foam, medium dark brown in color and quick to disappear. The body is as dark as brown gets before reaching black. Spotty lacing.

S: As the name would suggest, the nose is completely owned by smoke, roast and otherwise burnt aromas. Very honest and unabashed....but definitely over the top. Chocolate manages to make a brief appearance, as does light pine, a little leather, earth and finally some ambient dark fruit aromas.

T: Flavors include smoke, charcoal, tar and, well, ashtray. Subtle notes of briny meat and soy. Mildly port-like on the finish.

M: Like a malted milkshake, this beer is super thick and very creamy. The body is as full as full can be. The silky smooth texture is enhanced by the gentle carbonation which keeps the beer rolling nonchalantly over the tongue. Wow. What a mouthfeel.

O: Several Evil Twin beers deep now, I'm starting to feel that these guys are talented brewers but are extreme for the sake of being extreme. After a couple of expensive purchases - and not being too thrilled with any of them - it's going to take a GREAT experience with an inexpensive draft pour to get me back as a consumer.

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

Wah. Poured this at a good temperature with a massive, tan, foamy, frothy, fluffy, creamy head that settles after a bit and some lace. Color is an opaque black brown. Aroma is smoke, malt, molasses, a little red wine. Flavor is the disappointment - a little sour, I believe it's turned, and hard to get around it. Otherwise it's like nose, plenty of bitter and the sweet is offset by the sour. Body is good, I think, but again the sour leave high points that I don't think would normally be there. Finish is like flavor and I cant drink anymore.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Enjoyed on 9/9/2011. Reviewed from notes.

Visually, this smokey stout has a latte brown foam, jet black body and moderate carbonation. The head is initially huge, but calms over time, leaving a light, off-white lacing. Look is rich and sweet, but not as commanding or impenetrable as you'd expect.

Scent profile features sweet cream, nuts, smoke, vanilla, chocolate, licorice, coffee and a hint of alcohol. It's surprisingly light, despite the bevy of aromas on display.

Flavor wise, this is a big head scratcher. The smoke is right there up front, which is nicely pronounced and reminiscent of backyard, charcoal-grilled flavors. Unfortunately, the delicious opening is stopped dead in its tracks by a strange, powdery, condensed milk flavor. Imagine not stirring a hot chocolate well enough when mixing in the powder and you're getting the picture. There's also a mild, cigar-smoke dryness on the back end and fleeting hints of vanilla, but I simply can't get beyond that odd, artificial tasting sweetness.

The mouth is quite dry front to back with a tingle in conclusion. The concluding flavors are a bit too big to allow anything else to make an impact.

This was a bit of a disappointment. I think the idea was exciting; combining heavy, woody smoke with the sweet moments of a milk stout. Sadly, the execution doesn't match the brilliance of the idea.

Evil Twin Ashtray Heart from Evil Twin Brewing