Evil Twin Ryan And The Beaster Bunny - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Ryan And The Beaster BunnyEvil Twin Ryan And The Beaster Bunny

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 08-05-2011)

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

i picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Ryan And The Beaster Bunny a month and a half ago for $3.79 at Holiday Market. I've been meaning to try this one and when I saw it on the shelf I knew there's no better time than the present, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/04/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok, the design is pretty simple and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a cloudy pale yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with over three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the saison yeast being the first to show up and it imparts all those yeasty and eastery like aromas that I would expect and it's followed by a nice fruity aroma with some pears sticking out the most with just a little bit of lemon grass in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart a noticeable spicy and earthy hops aroma with a grassy aroma showing up a little in the background. This beer had a nice aroma that was what I would expect from the style, but I wish more of those farmhouse aspects came through.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the Saison yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits which are very similar to how they were in the aroma with the pear still sticking out the most. On the finish comes the hops which impart the same spicy and earthy hop aspects that they did in the aroma with a light amount of bitterness with a pear and spicy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Saison, but the taste was a little lighter than I wanted it to be and I was more funky farmhouse yeast came through.

M- Smooth, crisp, not too prickly, a little dry on the finish, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a nice example of the style, but the flavors were on the lighter side for the style and that left me wanting more from this beer and I really wish some farmhouse aspects came through since I don't really get any. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, not too prickly, a little dry on finish, not filling at all and the taste doesn't do the greatest job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I don't have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was that it stayed true to style, it had most of the things that I expect from a straight up Saison. What I liked the least about this beer was that the flavors weren't just a little bolder and I wish more farmhouse aspects came through. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but i wouldn't turn it down if I was in the mood for a straight up Saison. I can't say I would recommend it, but if you really like Saisons it's worth a shot. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but I expected more from Evil Twin and the fact that it said Farmhouse style Ale on the label made it even more disappointing that hardly any farmhouse aspects came through. So far this is one of my least beers from Evil Twin and it falls in the middle at best for the style, I appreciate the effort, but I think this one could use some work, better luck next time guys.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: Hazy yellow, thin white head and excellent lacing.

Aroma: Pepper and pineapple yeast aroma that's not too intense.

Flavor: Light, citrus and pepper again with a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Fairly dry and effervescent.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%