Evil Twin Biscotti Break - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Biscotti BreakEvil Twin Biscotti Break

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

American Porter |  8.40% ABV

Imperial porter brewed with Charleston Coffee Roasters espresso, vanilla beans, and toasted almonds.

(Beer added by: oline73 on 08-08-2011)

2.5/5  rDev -39%

Bottle was a gusher, off flavors, pretty sure infected.

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Big thanks to yourefragile for picking this one up. Served in a cervoise. Pours fairly-dark brown with a short off-white head. Decent retention. The nose carries some normal porter notes of roast and chocolate with a touch of coffee in the background. Not really getting any almond or vanilla. Pretty boring; nothing stands out. Flavor is similar. This is nowhere near the imperial version. Body has too much roast. Nothing to set this apart. A good porter, but nothing too special.

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Imbibed at Harry's Hofbrau on 5/31/12. Reviewed from notes.

Sits nearly pitch black with a brown tinge in the glass. Very little tan head circles the glass. Some anise aroma with chocolatey backbone and a little bit of vanilla. This smells barrel aged to my amateur nose. No alcohol bite nixes the BA suspicion. A good, deep breath yields some dark roast coffee aroma. Bitter and sweet flavors greet the taste buds. I can tell there's not much lactic sugar, if any, but the smooth texture suggests it. Anise again, then vanilla bean and milk chocolate. Some coffee oil lingers on the tongue. A little watery overall, but taste is substantial. The flavors don't slip off the tongue like the beer does. Dry finish.

I feel that despite my disdain for the porter style, I like this beer. Due to my wife's love of the porter, I've had more than my fill of them in the last couple years. Again, despite this, I feel like I would order this again... if the price wasn't so prohibitive. The ABV is very deceptive, so I'm sure my palate psyched out my perceptions a bit. Good beer overall, not great.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served side by side with the much better Imperial Biscotti Break. Beer served in a snifter. Beer is black with a tan head of small bubbles, some retention, minmal lacing, a fine looking beer.

Aroma is porter-ish, a little ashy though.

Beer is medium to light in body, ashy finish, a little sweetness, no vanilla or coffee really, a very inferior beer.

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 9.4 oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery.

Served refrigerator cold. <See appearance notes for details of pour>

A: As soon as I cracked the cap it erupted out of the bottle, and I quickly had to catch it with a glass, but lost some. I side-poured what I could, but had to fetch a second glass due to the foam. I'm pretty sure it's overcarbonated, though perhaps this was in anticipation of aging. Pours a five finger beautiful head of dark tan colour, some cream, pretty good thickness, and incredibly retention (at least ten minutes). Extremely foamy. Colour is a solid black. No visible yeast particles.

Sm: Coffee, espresso, cream, vanilla, milk, hints of nuts (I suppose almonds), roast, and vague hints of chocolate. A mild to moderate strength aroma. A bit weak in strength for the appeal of the notes. It should be bolder and stronger.

T: Cream, delightful rich coffee, hints of chocolate, almond notes (only when I search for them), hints of vanilla, caramelized malt, light roasted barley, a milky note, and dark malts as the foundation. Complex, but not as subtle as I'd like. The vanilla in particular is entirely too weak, and would really help the flavour profile with more balance. Decently balanced, but not built ideally. A bit too tame. Not as rich as I'd like.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some nice understated dryness. I do wish it was more dry. Hints of cream, but nowhere near enough. This flirts between a porter and a stout (and I've read their history). A touch too thin.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV - which it hides extraordinarily well. The notes are nice, but they don't flourish enough. I'd love to try this on nitro. I'd prefer this as a stout. Amp up the roasted barley for the foundation, increase the coarseness and dryness, and add some chocolate. A good beer that could be a great one. Another enjoyable brew from Evil Twin. I'm liking this brewery more and more.

B

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer was brewed and bottled in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, right next door to Charleston. As such the Charleston Beer Exchange was chosen to be the debut location for bottles of this beer and I happened to be there when the first cases arrived in early January 2012. This is the first bottle pulled out of the first box.

I waited to enjoy it with a few friends.

The fizz potential on this beer is dangerous. This beer has more head and bubble over than any other beer I have seen. I poured just a bit into a glass carefully and it still overflowed and the bottle also started bubbling over onto the counter and continued to produce a stream of head out the top for the next 10 to 15 minutes. By the way it pours almost black.

Smells like coffee and dark chocolate covered raisins.

It tastes like sweet and sour coffee with bitterness from the coffee. It is almost sweet but past the tip of the tongue it is gone.

The texture is smooth with a medium tingle.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

I had this on-tap at Max's, poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a black color with a half finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Smooth coffee, roast, and dark chocolate.

Taste: Dark chocolate and roasty coffee. Not quite full enough. Nutty with a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth with very little carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was just alright. The mouthfeel was probably the highlight of the beer. The taste needed a little something more.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

About a finger of light brown head, and an oily brown body. Good retention and a bit of lace initially. I noticed that this had been poured into a pitcher first because it was pouring very foamy.

Nose contains black coffee, vanilla, and some almond-- bittersweet.

Rich, full taste with bitter coffee and unctuous vanilla sliding in on the finish. Almond suggests a splash of amaretto in the coffee.

The head is foamy, but underneath, there's not a lot of body. Doesn't support the taste.

Good, but it overreaches itself and ends up too thin. Rarely do I really dock something for lame mouthfeel, but in this instance (and maybe it had something to do with the draft system), the feel could not support the flavor.

Evil Twin Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing