Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Molotov CocktailEvil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: bark on 08-29-2011

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.
Reviews: 196 | Hads: 1,160
4.96/5  rDev +27.2%

This beer is one assertive mother trucker. Poured into a pint glass it pops up a frothy two-finger head which settles to a white lasting cap that sticks to the side of the glass. Bubbles continue to rise to the top for the duration.
A unique orange-peach hue. Very pleasant hop aroma - not perfumy as some hoppy beers can be.
Intense hop character; yet sweet with a smokey backdrop. Not especially bitter as you may expect with a hoppy goddess such as this. Hint of citrus is there but not overbearing. Not sure where some reviewers get lemongrass or earth or these other notes but perhaps my palate is not as acute - no offense to those with refined palates of course.

Goes very well with pretzels and sharp cheddar. Despite it's ridiculously high ABV percentage, the alcohol is not heavy in the flavor. A very sneaky beer in that you don't realize it's potency until halfway through and your fingers begin to tingle. The name "Molotov Cocktail" is very apropos as it just firebombed it's way into my top five IPAs. Evil Twin has some seriously talented brewers.

4.96/5  rDev +27.2%

That pretty much described how I feel about this beer. I mean really, fancy schmancy reviews be damned. This beer is amazing.

From the moment I saw this beer on the shelf I knew I had to have it. I waited for a little while but couldn't shake the desire for it. I wasn't disappointed at all and will be looking for more Evil Twin brews in the future.

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

I loved this beer from the pop of the cap. It pours with a nice ruby color and full head that lasted well and left a nice glass lacing. First Aromas were heavily floral with a nice alcohol note. Taste: front end of bread grains and and pine followed by a nice ballanced alcohol warming and smooth finish of pine and nuts with just the right touch of bitterness. For a 13% alcohol beer, it drinks smooth, balanced and we'll mannered but leave you wanting another sip.

4.9/5  rDev +25.6%

Aroma: Deep and malty, with plenty of brown sugar and decadent sweetness, very light pine and resin
Appearance: An amber maroon hue that is quite beautiful to behold!
Taste: Heavily sweet, lightly bitter, with a medium sourness that holds on for a brilliantly long finish
Palate: Medium body with a thin, slick texture, average carbonation and an abrupt finish
Overall: A triple IPA should be "different". This is. With an approximate 13% ABV this is a potent, malty, sweet beer with slight hints of hops and abundant malts. Hand your buddy the keys and have three, or five! Serving type: on-tap ”

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

Good good damn good. I love the taste, strong but the alchohol is well hidden.

Drank it from a bottle dated 10/15/2013 and it has become one of the few beers I just want to sip slowly.
Reviews by format are not for me. I do not write fancy reviews. I either like it, tolerate it, hate it, love it, treasure it. This is one of my personal elite treasures.

Evil Twin brews great beer. This may be their best.

Up there with my favs, Duvel, Dogfish Burton Barton, Allagash Trippel and the Stone IPa's.

Make these beers more affordable and I would never have to try anything else again.

10-10-2013 04:54:37 | More by jep2606

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%

Bronze toward orange, cloudy, fine foam, but particularly beautiful.

Smells initially sweet, clear floral and piney hop aromas, heavy-duty lightly toasted malt also dominates. It's a feast in the nose.

Continuing the aroma profile, toffee sweetness, full malt assault of biscuit and bread, finishes as hoppy bitter in the finish as full in the beginning. Fills the mouth pleasingly.

Overall one of my favorite beers. A must if you seek flavor in your beer.

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grabbed this on tap while I could....heard from a friend it goes quickly.

A - looks like an ipa should

S - sweet, hoppy, piney

T - I usually don't love sweet IPAs but wow, this thing is something special. It has a special sweet malty flavor that allows an extreme hop to come through...unreal.

M - prickly, lots of carbonation

O - grab this beer if you see it. I had it on tap for a decent price...heard it's expensive in bottles but I'd grab 10 cases if I could.

4.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm astonished at the middling score of this brew here on BA. Perhaps my incredulity comes from drinking a cellar-aged bottle of Molotov Cocktail (about 18 months of aging). But this has got to be one of the ten best beers I've had in years.

Oh, man, the aroma is nice and fruity/florally.

Then flavor in the mouth. Holy cow. It's grapefruit gumball -- as if there were such a thing. And that's why I'm scoring this so highly. It's a one of a kind IIPA, for certain.

Mouthfeel is crazily syrupy, yet leavened by significant fizz. Like a Sauterne crossed with a moscato di asti.

It's just elite-quality beer. It's better than the bulk of top IIPA's, such as 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Hop Stoopid, and Lagunitas Sucks (though I do like Lagunitas Sucks quite a lot).

4.74/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours deep copper, with a very nice white foam head. Smell is amazing, frutal hops and sweet malt to balance. Taste is very nice, strong bitter kick but extremely well balanced with the grains, excellent beer.

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer deserves MORE respect! Seriously, one impressive double imperial IPA.

This DIPA was bottled on 10/15/13... It tasted fresh and had a warm, creeping potency to its alcohol content.. Kind of a burnt orange color with a small head..

The body and mouthfeel was full, warm,and sugary.. This assisted in hiding the oppressive 13% alcohol content. The finish was slick and thick..

Upfront, the hops exploded...on the finish, this beer smelled kind of a funky wet-hopped-like bitterness..

Overall, very impressive brew.. A GREAT one! HIGHLY recommended!

4.66/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't get enough of this stuff. It has a pretty unique taste over others in the class. Pretty strong alcohol flavor - buts its probably hard to mask at 13% abv. There is a thick and syrupy mouthfeel, accompanied by a sweet start. I suggest serving cooler than the suggested temperature for a DIPA, so below 46 degrees

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Only the best IPA I Ever tasted. As a Bend OR beer drinker and brewer I stand by this statement. A pour from Growler Guys and a growler fill. Incredible ... yes it has a grapefruit flavor and high ABV. But really, just a darn good beer, may I drink much more. Better from the tap than the can, Viva NY

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. This is an IPA perfect for me, and blows away the 4 ipas I had last nite and just about every IPA I've ever had. This ranks with fresh Hop 15 and Brew Dog's Hard Core as the best ipas I've had. Was intrigued by the description, had to go try it, soon as I tasted, ordered my 32 oz growler. And now that I'm halfway in, I know this is a world class beer.

Perfect color, tons of bubbles, the first pour in my sniffer clear and bubbly, subsequent pours thicker and opaque. Smells and tastes of huge dank hops, pine and citrus, huge bitterness envelops every part of your palate, leaving you dry, bitter, and thirsting for more. The amount of hops in this beer is insane, so freaking good it's unbelievable. Booze? Yea its boozy, just the way I like it.

This is why we drink beer, immediately leaps to my best of list. It's not for everyone, but its certainly for me. Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer, it reminds me of a thicker version of devil dancer.
I special ordered the last 2 cases available in my area, if anyone wants to trade email me and maybe we can set something up! I'd really like to get my hands on some pliny or some good Belgians

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 6.25.13. No fears - I bet this one ages well

L - Bronze with rich texture, no clarity, and sediment floating through out. 1 full finger of head and some sticky lace left on the glass. IPA's don't get better looking than this one!

S - Extreme dank hops and ...BOOZE! Wow.

T - A hop bomb in the purest sense. Lots of booze, but goes down easy. Sweet, but not overly, and a good combination of citrus and pine hops. Freakin GOOD!

F - Oily, slick, full bodied.

O - This one is definitely flammable. Tasty as hell. Wow. Get it if you find it!

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer will kick your ass. At 13% ABV, it's surprisingly smooth and flavorful. It's one of my go-to beers when I'm in the mood to splurge. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Copper gold with a light haze under a 1” off white foam collar that grabs onto the dise of the glass producing a thin line of lace with each drink.
S: Citrus herbal nose with hints of grass.
T: very creamy attack witth big malt followed buy a shot of caramel and then an evolving hop bitterness wrapped around alcohol.
F: Chewy, medium carbonation
O: Has a mixed drink intensity and character

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow, oh, wow.  Pours a gorgeous copper color with smells of massive pineapple and mango.  First sip blows my mind. 13%, are you sure?  No hint of alcohol.  The tropical fruits continue to hammer the palate, while a fruit sweetness comes in along with a touch of bitterness.  I wouldn’t say this is malt balanced, since the fruit flavors really stand out, but personally I can’t get enough of it.  Absolutely stellar beer, once I’ll always order when I see it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Initially, this beer has a sweet taste of pineapples and bread, before a nice hops bitterness. Every sip I notice a new nuance to the flavor, and it's much more interesting a brew than most IPAs I've had. Although it packs a kick, it hides the alcohol well and doesn't taste terribly much or it. Will have to snag a few more bottles to stash away.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 7/31/13

Appearance: Amber, unfiltered and cloudy. The carbonation is above average for an ipa of this size and there is a small white head on the glass' perimeter.

Smell: Citrus, mango, pineapple and some malt backbone. Like a boquet of dank, tropical hops, this smells pretty amazing. It kind of smells like a pina colada. Weird, but good.

Taste: Juicy as hell! Up front you're just blasted by mango, citrus and then pineapple. The finish is bitter grapefruit. While all this is going on, there's a nice malt base that really balances things out nicely. There's definitely a bit of booze at the end, but this is 13% after all. If you're chugging this instead of sipping...you're just asking for it anyway.

Mouthfeel: Hops attack the tongue like a champ. Medium bodied with enough caronation to keep this interesting.

Overall: Although this is boozy at the end as expected, it is so damn tasty and just delicious. This exceeded my expectations in almost every way. Really good and would love to see what age does to this. Not to mention that it was favorably priced compared to competitors. Awesome.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great bouquet--tulip glass a must. Extremely hoppy! High alcohol content, mine was on draft and I didn't know how high it actually was until it snuck up on me. Definitely tasty, I am an IPA guy and I will have this again...when I don't have to drive!

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at Thirsty Monk Asheville. Served in a goblet.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before lowering to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thick ring behind.

S- Surprisingly toned down hop aroma with notes of clementine and grapefruit. Very different.

T- Man that's a burst of citrus like I've never experienced. Almost like drinking grapefruit juice. The alcohol is extremely well masked. I would never guess this was 13%. Tangy, juicy. Just wow.

M- Very soft, almost creamy. Medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Damn this beer is amazing. Dangerously drinkable and oh so tasty. Be careful with this one.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: a golden orange copper. Like a perfect scotch amber Ale. It is a beautiful sight but very pale compared to most double iPa`s.

S: serious orange candy coated hop bomb. It smells like like Avery Maharaja.

T: this is a sweeter version of Avery maharaja. Super sweet, candied orange peel. White sugar. Very much in the vein of dogfish 120 on draft.. Sickly sweet .... So much that I can't pin point a hop varietal but Simoce and maybe Centennial..
M : super Candy slick. Frothy Medium carbonation. Syrupy bliss.

O: this is a serious IPA sipper.. Powerful candy. I bought a 4 pack and will hold it for years.. Serious beer.. But a boozy hop bomb that really delivers is Founders devil Dancer

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10.15.13, enjoyed 11.20.13. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color with a cream head. Nice lacing. Smell is very boozey with a definite hop power, slightly sweet. First sip has a strong bite. Booziness is there to be sure, but not near as much as I expected from either the smell or the fact that it's 13%. Very very hop forward, strong citrus. Tart, but with a hint of sweetness that comes off as tropical and juicy, pineapple maybe. Also get a hint of burnt caramel with a lot of pine on the finish. Very nice mouthfeel. Leaves a tingle on the tongue that I love, kind of an after bite/sour hint. Overall, quite lovely. Would happily drink this one again!

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This BIG IPA pours a bright and iridescent orange coloring; light, bright and gorgeous. The head was dense, white and foamy.

The scent held a lot of citrus and floral hop character. The earthy and natural aromas of floral hops are manifested in a swampy, humid and cannabis leaf presence. The citrus shows in a lemon, grapefruit, tangerines and tropical fruit way.

The core of this IPA sits in a caramel malt sweetness but the tangy, sour and sweet fruit flavors come out in a pineapple and lemon. The caramel malt melds so well with the tangy sweet of pineapple that I drew back in surprise. There is a touch of lemon rind, oranges and tangerines but a grapefruit bitterness really comes through. The hop flavors don't end there as the residual hop characters manifest in a light pine and slight cannabis leaf.

The feel is amazing as the ABV is 13 pct, yet it is smooth, light and easy to drink. For all the added hops the astringency is almost non-existent and this could almost be sessionable.

I'm often amazed by the scores given to IPAs with less character (but a certian name)while a masterpiece such as this gets very little notice.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing