Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Molotov CocktailEvil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: bark on 08-29-2011

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.
Ratings: 1,098 | Reviews: 216

You've got to love beer that is this strong and is not a barley wine.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Great beer! Would get it again.

4.96/5  rDev +26.2%

This beer is one assertive mother trucker. Poured into a pint glass it pops up a frothy two-finger head which settles to a white lasting cap that sticks to the side of the glass. Bubbles continue to rise to the top for the duration.
A unique orange-peach hue. Very pleasant hop aroma - not perfumy as some hoppy beers can be.
Intense hop character; yet sweet with a smokey backdrop. Not especially bitter as you may expect with a hoppy goddess such as this. Hint of citrus is there but not overbearing. Not sure where some reviewers get lemongrass or earth or these other notes but perhaps my palate is not as acute - no offense to those with refined palates of course.

Goes very well with pretzels and sharp cheddar. Despite it's ridiculously high ABV percentage, the alcohol is not heavy in the flavor. A very sneaky beer in that you don't realize it's potency until halfway through and your fingers begin to tingle. The name "Molotov Cocktail" is very apropos as it just firebombed it's way into my top five IPAs. Evil Twin has some seriously talented brewers.

4.96/5  rDev +26.2%

OH...MY...GOD.

That pretty much described how I feel about this beer. I mean really, fancy schmancy reviews be damned. This beer is amazing.

From the moment I saw this beer on the shelf I knew I had to have it. I waited for a little while but couldn't shake the desire for it. I wasn't disappointed at all and will be looking for more Evil Twin brews in the future.

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

One of the best beers I have tried.

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

I loved this beer from the pop of the cap. It pours with a nice ruby color and full head that lasted well and left a nice glass lacing. First Aromas were heavily floral with a nice alcohol note. Taste: front end of bread grains and and pine followed by a nice ballanced alcohol warming and smooth finish of pine and nuts with just the right touch of bitterness. For a 13% alcohol beer, it drinks smooth, balanced and we'll mannered but leave you wanting another sip.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Great tasting beer, dangerous after two.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Fantastic nose of caramel and honey. Tastes just like it smells - awesome!

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Aroma: Deep and malty, with plenty of brown sugar and decadent sweetness, very light pine and resin
Appearance: An amber maroon hue that is quite beautiful to behold!
Taste: Heavily sweet, lightly bitter, with a medium sourness that holds on for a brilliantly long finish
Palate: Medium body with a thin, slick texture, average carbonation and an abrupt finish
Overall: A triple IPA should be "different". This is. With an approximate 13% ABV this is a potent, malty, sweet beer with slight hints of hops and abundant malts. Hand your buddy the keys and have three, or five! Serving type: on-tap ”

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%

Good good damn good. I love the taste, strong but the alchohol is well hidden.

Drank it from a bottle dated 10/15/2013 and it has become one of the few beers I just want to sip slowly.
Reviews by format are not for me. I do not write fancy reviews. I either like it, tolerate it, hate it, love it, treasure it. This is one of my personal elite treasures.

Evil Twin brews great beer. This may be their best.

Up there with my favs, Duvel, Dogfish Burton Barton, Allagash Trippel and the Stone IPa's.

Make these beers more affordable and I would never have to try anything else again.

10-10-2013 04:54:37 | More by jep2606

4.86/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I'm astonished at the middling score of this brew here on BA. Perhaps my incredulity comes from drinking a cellar-aged bottle of Molotov Cocktail (about 18 months of aging). But this has got to be one of the ten best beers I've had in years.

Oh, man, the aroma is nice and fruity/florally.

Then flavor in the mouth. Holy cow. It's grapefruit gumball -- as if there were such a thing. And that's why I'm scoring this so highly. It's a one of a kind IIPA, for certain.

Mouthfeel is crazily syrupy, yet leavened by significant fizz.

It's just elite-quality beer. It's better than the bulk of top IIPA's, such as 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Hop Stoopid, and Lagunitas Sucks.

4.86/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my personal favorites!

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

Bronze toward orange, cloudy, fine foam, but particularly beautiful.

Smells initially sweet, clear floral and piney hop aromas, heavy-duty lightly toasted malt also dominates. It's a feast in the nose.

Continuing the aroma profile, toffee sweetness, full malt assault of biscuit and bread, finishes as hoppy bitter in the finish as full in the beginning. Fills the mouth pleasingly.

Overall one of my favorite beers. A must if you seek flavor in your beer.

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grabbed this on tap while I could....heard from a friend it goes quickly.

A - looks like an ipa should

S - sweet, hoppy, piney

T - I usually don't love sweet IPAs but wow, this thing is something special. It has a special sweet malty flavor that allows an extreme hop to come through...unreal.

M - prickly, lots of carbonation

O - grab this beer if you see it. I had it on tap for a decent price...heard it's expensive in bottles but I'd grab 10 cases if I could.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Strong finish that leaves a memory

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Sticky resiny hops but still so sweet

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer deserves MORE respect! Seriously, one impressive double imperial IPA.

This DIPA was bottled on 10/15/13... It tasted fresh and had a warm, creeping potency to its alcohol content.. Kind of a burnt orange color with a small head..

The body and mouthfeel was full, warm,and sugary.. This assisted in hiding the oppressive 13% alcohol content. The finish was slick and thick..

Upfront, the hops exploded...on the finish, this beer smelled kind of a funky wet-hopped-like bitterness..

Overall, very impressive brew.. A GREAT one! HIGHLY recommended!

4.66/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't get enough of this stuff. It has a pretty unique taste over others in the class. Pretty strong alcohol flavor - buts its probably hard to mask at 13% abv. There is a thick and syrupy mouthfeel, accompanied by a sweet start. I suggest serving cooler than the suggested temperature for a DIPA, so below 46 degrees

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Awesomeness in your mouth piece

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A well balanced IPA. I liked it very well. I am a sucker for heavy alcohol brews and this one fits the bill.

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. This is an IPA perfect for me, and blows away the 4 ipas I had last nite and just about every IPA I've ever had. This ranks with fresh Hop 15 and Brew Dog's Hard Core as the best ipas I've had. Was intrigued by the description, had to go try it, soon as I tasted, ordered my 32 oz growler. And now that I'm halfway in, I know this is a world class beer.

Perfect color, tons of bubbles, the first pour in my sniffer clear and bubbly, subsequent pours thicker and opaque. Smells and tastes of huge dank hops, pine and citrus, huge bitterness envelops every part of your palate, leaving you dry, bitter, and thirsting for more. The amount of hops in this beer is insane, so freaking good it's unbelievable. Booze? Yea its boozy, just the way I like it.

This is why we drink beer, immediately leaps to my best of list. It's not for everyone, but its certainly for me. Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer, it reminds me of a thicker version of devil dancer.
I special ordered the last 2 cases available in my area, if anyone wants to trade email me and maybe we can set something up! I'd really like to get my hands on some pliny or some good Belgians
Ryanshanaman(at)yahoo(dot)com

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells like an IPA but I found the hops were not overpowering. Kind of a doorman's version of 120!

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 6.25.13. No fears - I bet this one ages well

L - Bronze with rich texture, no clarity, and sediment floating through out. 1 full finger of head and some sticky lace left on the glass. IPA's don't get better looking than this one!

S - Extreme dank hops and ...BOOZE! Wow.

T - A hop bomb in the purest sense. Lots of booze, but goes down easy. Sweet, but not overly, and a good combination of citrus and pine hops. Freakin GOOD!

F - Oily, slick, full bodied.

O - This one is definitely flammable. Tasty as hell. Wow. Get it if you find it!

4.52/5  rDev +15%

This beer will kick your ass. At 13% ABV, it's surprisingly smooth and flavorful. It's one of my go-to beers when I'm in the mood to splurge. Great beer.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing