Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Molotov CocktailEvil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.

(Beer added by: bark on 08-29-2011)
1.25/5  rDev -68.3%

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Initially, this beer has a sweet taste of pineapples and bread, before a nice hops bitterness. Every sip I notice a new nuance to the flavor, and it's much more interesting a brew than most IPAs I've had. Although it packs a kick, it hides the alcohol well and doesn't taste terribly much or it. Will have to snag a few more bottles to stash away.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Molotov Cocktail a couple weeks ago for $3.59 at Holiday Market. I ended up making a mix six pack of Evil Twin beers and this one sounded a little interesting and I thought it was worth a try, so lets see how it goes. There were some numbers on the bottle, but I couldn't decode them. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's a pretty simple design and it doesn't seem to be that eye catching. It poured a cloudy golden orange color that took on more of an orange color when held to the light with almost a finger worth of off white head that died down to a thin bubbly layer that eventually faded away and it left some small spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head and retention were just a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice caramel malt, sweet malt, caramel, light toffee and some dark fruit aromas with no single malty aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol aroma that's just a little boozy and it followed by the hops which impart a mixture of citrus rind and light green onion aromas with the citrus rind hop aromas sticking out the most. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it didn't have that green onion aspect.

T- The taste seems to be seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's a little less intense and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and this time it's the caramel and sweet malt flavors that stick out the most and there's just a little bit of doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the alcohol which isn't too boozy, but it's pretty warming and I get that warming feeling in my chest after every sip. On the finish comes the hops which impart some nice citrus rind hop flavors and instead of green onion hops I get more of an herbal hop aspect that has a herbal tea like flavor and the hops impart a higher amount of medium bitterness with a sweet and citrus rind hop like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I like how the herbal hop flavors replaced the green onion aspect.

M- Not the smoothest, pretty warming, not crisp, sticky, a little cloying, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but I thought it was a little on the sticky and cloying side.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a good example of a Strong DIPA, like most strong DIPA's the sweetness is pretty high, but when it came to the hop profile it was pretty nice and it wasn't as bitter as I thought it would be. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was pretty warming, not crisp, sticky, a little cloying, filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but one is enough for me, any more than that and it would be just too sweet and warming for me. What I like the most about this beer was the hop profile in the taste, it was pretty nice and it wasn't overly bitter. What I like the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but it was a little too sweet, sticky and warming in the mouthfeel. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a big DIPA and I would recommend it to anybody who likes big and strong DIPA's. All in all I was happy with this beer, it had a couple aspects that hurt it a little, but a lot of that comes with the territory when a beer gets to be this strong and in the end I enjoyed it for what it is. This isn't my favorite Evil Twin beer and it isn't my favorite strong DIPA, 120 minute IPA is still the my favorite. Nice job guys, this was a tasty and intense DIPA, keep up the good work.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

Really disappointed with this one. I don't so much care about the terrible, incoherent grammar that they use in their own description but the false advertising is the worst. Arrogant amount of hops? It's arrogant to think that you can sell a hopless beer and convince people of its hoppiness. This tastes like an overly strong home-brew. It's sickly sweet, malty and reminiscent of a bad Scotch ale. Coming from the land of Heady Topper, Double Dose, Double Sunshine, Second Fiddle and just about everything from Hill Farmstead, this is a not very good excuse for a DIPA.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer will kick your ass. At 13% ABV, it's surprisingly smooth and flavorful. It's one of my go-to beers when I'm in the mood to splurge. Great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, orange amber colored with a short white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, hazy

S: fermenting fruit. citrus, orange

T: quite sweet an d fruity, heavy on esters, mango, pineapple

M: thick and sticky

O: heavy and high on alcohol content

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%