Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: BlackBelt5112203 on 04-12-2012

The Roman Empire had a certain "je ne sais quoi" - festive food culture, extravagant architecture, and spectacular live entertainment. Some might argue the Emperors were brutal, mad, and hungry for power, and the people vain when taking baths and working out all day. Listen - that's still all part of the secret Imperial ingredient - keep it cool, clean, confident, arrogant, and flamboyant. Forza Imperiale.
Reviews: 432 | Hads: 3,457
4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black. Creamy brown head. No lacing that I can see.

Smell: Rich and delicious. Biscotti, I suppose. Coffee and chocolate laden. So much it's ridiculous. I don't get the alcohol one bit.

Taste/feel: To be honest, reminds me quite a lot of their Imperial Doughnut Break, as it has that same sort of doughiness (though not quite to the same extent), but with more and better flavor. Great creamy feel with a mild/moderate mouthfeel. Quite sweet, but also a deep roasted flavor with some bitterness on the finish. A lot of alcohol warmth here that dries the mouth right up. The alcohol can't be tasted at all, but certainly felt.

Incredibly good beer. $18 for a 22oz bottle is definitely a pretty hefty price, but it's also one hell of a hefty brew. A fantastic biscotti/dough/coffee/sweet nose that tastes almost just as good. A big beer that's well worth trying. One of the best beers I've ever had, for sure. A bit on the sweeter side, but that's to be expected from this beer, I think... but that's just a nitpick. BUY THIS BEER. (1,044 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black. Poured like motor oil with no head.

S: The dominate aroma here is heavily roasted coffee. There is subtle chocolate in the background.

T: Coffee is the dominate flavor here. There is a ton of dark malt and coffee.

M: Very thick and viscous but extremely light on the carbonation.

O: Extreamly good beer. Get it if you can. (340 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I don't like coffee to dominate the flavor of my beers and this is probably the best representation of coffee I've ever tasted. Velvety smooth chocolate with a little bit of back-end coffee bitterness that feels authentic. I didn't really taste any almonds though. I bought one to age but it's so perfectly balanced I don't think there's any sense in letting it sit. I hope I can get my hands on the bourbon barrel aged version soon. (434 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A big thanks to Bill for this one. 22oz. bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Dense pour yields an opaque, pitch black brew with a slight dark mocha head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is patchy and stringy with decent stick and thick, oily legs. Solid.

Nose is booze, lactose, coffee, chocolate, and fudge. Moderately aromatic and unmistakably decadent. Nice.

Opens sweet milk chocolate, lactose and roasted malt. Some sweet espresso and coffee beans in the middle with fudge brownie, more chocolate, and some dark fruit at the end. Finishes chocolate, mocha, and sweet roast with the same aftertaste. A rich, luxurious, over-the-top experience for sure. Real nice.

Full bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Silky smooth and rich in the mouth and goes down warm and thick. Messy finish with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. Fits perfectly.

I've heard a lot about this beer and the praise is well deserved beer. This is truly one of the ultimate desert beers. Complex, thick, rich, and very decadent. This one's a sipper for sure and one that'll slowly reveal itself throughout the experience. Definitely worth trying. (1,158 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip 29/4/13 cheers Rutager for getting this one into my hands

A shes a black one with just a thumbnail's worth of dark cola edge, finger of dark mocha head has average retention and leaves no lace

S lots of chocolate syrup, sponge toffee and chocolate covered almonds, coffees hard to miss but it already has cream and sugar added, fudge is strong and I have no idea where the 11.5% is hiding, vanilla works well, dose it really smell like biscotti? or is it just in my head? either way this one smells rich and sexy

T sweet chocolate and burnt sugar mix with dark bread and faint Nutella spread, but the hazelnuts extremely faint, the coffees almost like the pre-sweetened little packets you add hot water to while camping, it tastes better then that sounds though I promise

M thick and syrupy, very sticky on the lips and not much for heat considering its 11.5%, silky and thick with a sweet finish

O looks basic but far from basic in every other area, I'm not sure what I like the most about this one but I have plenty to choose from

I can see where the hypes coming from because this ones awesome, great mix of chocolate and coffee and I'm impressed that 11.5% is almost completely concealed. I'm shocked how easy this one is to drink, no issues taking down the bomber even after tackling a few strong beer beforehand. I'm finding that one eye wants to close from the booze and my other eye's wide open from the coffee, this could be a long night (1,486 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Solid black body with a muddy brown highlight at the rim. Dark khaki head with ok retention and lace.

S - Clean, relatively straight forward nose. Raw espresso, dry wood, and a touch of booze.

T - Dark roast coffee, touch of cream, bitter char, burnt caramel, soft booze, dark chocolate.

M - Smooth, creamy, with a medium frame.

O - An excellent imperial stout. Great flavor profile and balance.

P - Exceptional (even for imperial stouts) with fudgey brownies. (469 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smooth, silky, black, asking you to just have one more. It certainly doesn't drink like its 11.5% ABV, but don't let it fool you.

Pours solid black with a nice dark tan head and slight lacing.

Smell is slighlty sweet with just a hint of what is to come. after warming up a bit the almond started to come through stronger.

The taste is where it's really at for me. The slight sweetness balances the slight bitterness and everything just comes together to get that biscotti flavor Evil Twin was going for.

Overall a very solid beer! (534 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

From 06/28/12 notes. Was very excited to be able to pick a few bottles of this up at Stateline in MD last night. Shared with my brother, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with two fingers of dark brown head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for about three minutes and leaves some light, spotty lacing. One inch of retention throughout drinking. Looks perfect for a big stout.

s - Smells of coffee, espresso, sweet chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, cream, and bready malts. Smell is awesome; a wonderful mix of espresso and chocolate. I love it.

t - Tastes of coffee, cocoa, espresso, sweet chocolate, vanilla. Little bit less chocolate than the nose, though the coffee is still strong again. Very nice, though I liked the nose better.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, super smooth and creamy body. Wonderful mouthfeel; can't believe it is 11.5% ABV. Pretty perfect here.

o - Overall I thought this was a fantastic beer; I was blown away by how good it was considering I have been underwhelmed by pretty much every Evil Twin beer I've had. It looks and feels fantastic, and has a great chocolate/espresso nose. One of the best coffee stouts I've had, and certainly doesn't feel like 11.5%. Very glad I picked up a second bottle of this as I'll love to have it again. Will try and hold off until the fall when it is cooler to drink my other bottle, but is drinking wonderful now. A world class coffee stout. (1,457 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from fridge temp to snifter. Pours jet black with almost no carbonation.

Smell - wow. Can't stop smelling it. Huge coffee and vanilla. Also getting a good amount of roasted malts and chocolate. Quite amazing.

Taste - Very smooth at first with a nice mellow coffee flavor. A bit of a bitter bite in the aftertaste, but the chocolate, coffee, and vanilla mix is so good! Love it. Feel is very nice - rich and creamy. Overall, this is a splendid offering. I will seek more! (489 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A - Pours a slick black liquid with one finger of brown head. head has pretty good retention and leaves some spots of lacing. Maintains a thin cap of foam throughout.

S - Wow! Smells like coffee and a slightly boozy chocolate chip cookie more than biscotti, although I do get some amaretto presence, but I think they pretty much got what they were going for here. Big coffee and chocolate aromas, with a bit of milk chocolate but mostly bittersweet, some cookie dough, a bit of almond, some vanilla and faint fruits.

T - Taste is similar to the aroma, but with more bitterness, which nicely counters the sweet components of the taste. Lots of coffee and bitter chocolate, roasted malts, just a bit of brown sugar. Some vanilla, raisin and cherry. Very tasty, with almost no alcohol presence.

M - Full but not heavy. Initially on the sweet side, but gets more bitter and dry.

O - I was pretty excited when I saw a lone bottle of this on my trip to OH in July, as I figured it was long gone, and it didn't disappoint. A nice twist on the traditional coffee and chocolate-dominated imperial stouts. (1,100 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to ShanePB for this one! I owe you!

A: Pours jet black, rather oily with a small brown head on top, not much retention quickly reducing to a thin cap on top. Some very thin lacing forms on the opposite side that I am drinking from and lasts for a long time.

S: Definitely some coffee, dark chocolate, some caramel and brown sugar. There is a little molasses a bit of a cookie aroma and some nuts.

T: Some nice chocolate and coffee upfront backed by some roasted malt. The middle is rather sweet with more chocolate, some cookie flavored malt, a little vanilla, and some nuts.

M: Full bodied with medium carbonation, definitely coats the entire mouth.

O: My first from Evil Twin. Very impressed with it, thought it was going to be a bit heavy in terms of coffee, but it blended nicely with the other flavors. (827 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks kingkong, I think this was on my wants for 3 days? I'd feel bad drinking it if I didn't already have most of your bottles ready. Poured into a HF tulip at a shade under 50 degrees.

A - Pours a dark brown with a mocha, thin head. Head goes to minimal lacing. Legs are nice.

S - Cocoa and coffee. Coffee is smooth, really melds well with the cocoa. My wife thinks it smells like Frank's. I disagree. The aroma of cocoa sorta reminds me of Nesquick mix.

T - Chocolate malt mix, sweet coffee, cocoa, more malt mix. The coffee bites the tongue with light bitterness in the back half of the flavor. The chocolate and slight bitterness stick around after each sip. I find much more chocolate than coffee for most of the flavor. The chocolate malt flavor could be described as a nuttiness as well.

M - Fuller side of medium. Based on my other reviews, this is closer to a 4.5 than 4.0.

O - I enjoyed this more than most non-BA stouts I've had. I really enjoyed it. I can't think of one thing I'd change, aside from a thicker mouthfeel. I think putting it in a barrel would do harm, although I can't say I wouldn't try it. Then again, it makes me think of how BCBCS would taste without the barrel. (1,201 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch brown head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is very nice, the brew smells like coffee, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, molasses, dark fruit and some vanilla. The taste is mostly like the aroma, there's coffee, roasted malt, bittersweet and milk chocolate, burnt/charred malt, caramel, vanilla, molasses, dark fruit, nuts, and a little bit of licorice is noticeable. Nice mix with the sweet and bitter flavors in this brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. I think this is a pretty good brew overall, it's certainly one of the best I've had lately. $12.99 a bottle is a deal for this, I'll be buying another bottle the next time I see it. (816 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had essentially given up on trying to find this stuff until inebriatedjoker decided to send me a bottle - thanks man!

Burnt brown body with an edge of coffee clarity... an oily half finger of milky khaki carbonation settles down to form a consistent, thick collar which produces more legging than lacing... sexy as all hell.

Rich, shiny coffee bean explodes from the bottle. Definite dry vanilla characteristics... cocoa powder, dark and bitter chocolates, such an excellent balance of sharp dessert dryness and mild pie crust type sweetness.

This tastes absolutely incredible. A whole fucking twist cone (including the cone itself) playing against those oily bitter coffee grounds, toasted grains and plain old espresso. Just as dry on the palate as the nose would suggest; pure black chocolate, chalky, more coffee... this is crazy good.

Wow... I so wish I could drink this stuff on a regular basis. (908 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. Label says best before 2015.

A- Pours a jet black color with a 1/4 inch brown head that retains a bit before falling to a thick ring around the edge of the surface and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves jagged streaks behind on the glass.

S- Boozy aroma of chocolate, caramel, vanilla and burnt cookie. Also some molasses and oatmeal amidst the very dark roast.

T- Initial sweet flavor of milk chocolate, caramel and a bit of coffee. The roastiness comes through more on the second sip displaying more depth and bringing cookie dough to the table. Very smooth for the ABV even after multiple sips are taken. Char aftertaste with more molasses notes and a hint of raisin. The heat starts to come through as it warms but it only adds to the complexity as it mimics tastes of bourbon.

M- Decadently creamy and silky with a thick, borderline chewy, body and medium-low carbonation.

O- I had this on tap and it was not nearly as smooth and enjoyable as it is in the bottle. The sweetness is also a lot more pronounced which I like. Overall, an excellent beer. I'm starting to think Evil Twin may actually have the chops to compete with his brother. (1,214 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Brewed at Westbrook, interesting.

Appearance: Pitch black body capped by a thin brown head that quickly settles to a crown.

Nose: Coffee and vanilla - lots of both. Amaretto, cocoa, a pleasant level of roastiness. The coffee and dark malt bring some acidity to the aroma as well.

Palate: Rich, full mouthfeel. Some great flavors here. Coffee is dominant and brings a slight acidity and earthiness that's balanced by a ton of vanilla, almond and dark chocolate. The finish is pleasingly bitter and roasty.

Overall: This exceeded expectations. Really nice stuff. (564 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a snifter. Best before 2015.

4.0 A: Black color. Two fingers of creamy medium brown head. Retention is decent for a beer this big and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.5 S: Completely unique and wonderful. Chocolate fudge and vanilla to start things off. Lots of almonds behind that with an additional hazelnut influence. Well roasted coffee, supple roastiness, and a hefty balancing caramel lead sweetness. Rich dessert type nose that is both complex and with complementary aromas.

4.5 T: The taste manages to live up to the power and integration found in the nose. Chocolate fudge, vanilla, almond, hazelnut, caramel. Moderate roastiness. Coffee is a lot stronger than in the nose and it works incredibly well with the rest of the flavors. There's just something preventing this from being outstanding and it thinks it's that this could use a touch more power.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess. Great here.

4.5 D: Easy to drink, complex, and delicious beer. It's a little unlike anything I've had, which is always a bonus if it's also this tasty. (1,104 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

22 oz bottle generously shared at a tasting at Cigar City on 3/7/13.

A- Pours black, thick and viscous looking, with a quickly-dissipating mocha head.

S- Smells amazing. Loads of dark chocolate, espresso, almond, and bready malt. The coffee and chocolate aromas are huge and are very nicely accented by the almond and vanilla.

T- Just like the aroma, huge dark chocolate, the espresso is more powerful here and has a nice bitterness, which is complemented by some similarly big roasted grain flavors. There are also vanilla, chocolate and almond flavors in the background. Finishes with subtle vanilla sweetness and lingering chocolate flavors.

M- Full-bodied, thick and creamy with a subtle boozy warmth.

O- A great beer, it's like a liquid dessert, the chocolate, coffee, almond and vanilla are blended together perfectly. Damn delicious. (845 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to foofaa for bringing this one to ffej of july. I have wanted to try this one for awhile now.

A - Pours dark brown with a nice one finger tall mocha colored head leaving thin streaks of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of coffee, chocolate, almonds, dark fruit, roasted malts, vanilla, caramel and toffee. This one screams desert beer.

T - Starts off with the coffee and chocolate flavors quickly giving way to hints of vanilla, toffee and plenty of dark roast. Not as much almond and dark fruit as the nose, more roasty. Finish is a mix of sweetness and dark roast, lingering on the palate long after consumption.

M - Big, rich body and flavors with moderate carbonation. It has a smooth feel that really helps to bring everything together.

O - I knew I would probably like this one before we even opened it and it didn't disappoint. I love all of the flavors that this one packs and the smooth feel really brought it all together. Probably the best beer I have had from Evil Twin. (1,003 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A: poured a dark as night black with a thin dark brown head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: I could definitely detect the booze on the first whiff but had chocolate toastiness, char smoke character, caramel, lactic notes, and faint molasses.

T: the smokey char flavor was more apparent on the palate alongside caramel sweetness, molasses, roasty chocolate malts, hoppy accents and good amount of booze coming thru with a touch of vanilla.

M: the brew was full in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, roasty, chocolatey, smokey, boozy, creamy and mild bitter finish.

O: it was solid pretty much all the way around, however I was not really digging the char character too much. Besides that it was delicious. (751 characters)

22oz bottle.

Pours pitch black with a surprisingly dark head, mocha brown specifically, which recedes quickly and leaves little lacing.

Whoa, lots of stuff blending together in the nose. Toasted almonds, milk chocolate, roasted coffee and a little bit of vanilla.

Taste is just as complex with sweet cream, bitter chocolate, nuts, espresso, vanilla and definitely some almond milk. Roasty finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with soft carbonation.

This is an excellent impy stout and probably the best beer I've had from Evil Twin. Dessert and breakfast rolled into one and bottled. Loved it. (599 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Mike, Matt, and Michael for sharing the Evil Twin Biscotti and Imperial Biscotti beers with me. I heart you guys.

The beer appears dark brown, approaching black, with a beige head. The aroma offers coffee, roast, oak, bread, biscuits. Lots of coffee, with a delicious almond / hazelnut flavor. Wow, fantastic tasting brew. Lightly sweet, with a superb vanilla, coffee, oak. Beautifully balanced. A terrific beer I would love to have again. (450 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

I had this beer at the City Beer Store on tap. I then purchased it in the botlle from their retail case. This beer is similar to Mikeller's Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, but has more chocolate than coffee. chocolate, vanilla and cherries. Extremely well balanced. (258 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Bomber, 6oz pour into snifter. This years brew, but no dating.

Opaque, black elixir, brownie-colored rim of foam, nice lacing.

Wonderful chocolate, hazelnut, mild burnt malt and vanilla. Nice chocolate malt aroma.

The chocolate malt hits first, mixed hazelnut and sweet vanilla. Wow!

Medium to heavy mouthfeel, nicely carbonated.

Wonderful IS with the chocolate really coming through. Cheers!

Serving type: bottle (419 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A little thinner than I was hoping but that's about the only negative... Delicious beer... The coffee is done perfectly.. Not over the top at all... Glad I got to try this... (178 characters)

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing