Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: BlackBelt5112203 on 04-12-2012

The Roman Empire had a certain "je ne sais quoi" - festive food culture, extravagant architecture, and spectacular live entertainment. Some might argue the Emperors were brutal, mad, and hungry for power, and the people vain when taking baths and working out all day. Listen - that's still all part of the secret Imperial ingredient - keep it cool, clean, confident, arrogant, and flamboyant. Forza Imperiale.
Ratings: 3,341 | Reviews: 431
2.52/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I thought this was overrated. Not bad but nothing special.

2.63/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Best before 2015

So I figured I'd give this a try, as I found it at a "good" price of $16 for the bomber. Black, inky, some rim graham foam. Smells initially like booze, then coffee, then almonds, then dark toasted malts, then some vanilla, almond, sugar, hints of amaretto. If the booze wasn't so strong on the nose, then I'd really enjoy the smell of the beer overall. Flavor is alcohol, then dark fruits, more alcohol and some bitterness. Seriously, the alcohol is too much here for 11.5% ABV, brutal. Medium on full bodied with low carb and a tacky, dry finish. I don't get it.

2.72/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pours dark brown with a finger head and good lacing. Aroma is sweet malt, chocolate, and coffee, but everything was downhill after that. This was a malty, syrupy, cloying mess of a beer. Milk chocolate and vanilla are present with copious amounts of malt, but its out of balance. I get liquorice and dark fruit as it warms. I had high expectations and was very disappointed. No need to try this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with a mocha head. Aroma is waaay too alcoholic; strong alcoholic fumes on top of some caramel, wafers, milk chocolate, nutty and a little roasty coffee. Alcohol shows up in the flavor way too strongly along with some caramel, nutty, wafers, chocolate, and a little coffee. Cloyingly sweet and and alcoholic. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and dead flat. Overall, drain poured my 8 ounces of this, gave the rest of the bomber to my roommate. This one is not for me, won't drink again.

2.82/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Purchase from Binny's, cracked on April 10th, 2013.

A - Fairly deep snakewood coloring, with a thin, yet fluffy, light brown head. Fair lacing and legs.

S - Predominant lighter-roasted coffee and rye grains.

T - Lactose, milk chocolate powder, dark fruit skins.

M - Very short finish, light-medium body (appearance was misleading here).

D - An absolute waste of $15. The coffee takes over and dampens whatever further complexity there could have (and should have) been. Easily one of the most overrated stouts I've come across.

3.06/5  rDev -30%

Pretty decent wasnt thrilled about it

3.09/5  rDev -29.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a medium creamy brown head that slowly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate with some roast, flowers and some tart fruit.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate with some roast coffee, vanilla, fruit and a fairly bitter finish. The alcohol is warming but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, it's OK. Too sweet and alcoholic for me. The floral fruitiness didn't mesh well with the roast chocolate to me.

3.34/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Way too sweet. Otherwise good coffee flavor, mouth feel and surprisingly no booziness...but won't buy again.

3.39/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From Brouwer’s Back in Black fest. Pours black with a medium finger of tan head, great retention.

Smell is coffee and something yeasty.

Taste is sweet. Watery, dry, medium mouthfeel. Decent.

Revisit from the bottle.

Pour jet black with a dark tan head.

Smell is soft coffee.

Taste is a bit more chocolate than I remember, coffee and a bit of red fruit on the end.

Thick and creamy.

Still say it is a pretty average stout.

3.42/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a major letdown after hearing and reading about it.
Paid $17 for a bomber and poured into a Deschutes snifter.
Looks really good. Wasn't the most aggressive pour but minimal head.
Aroma after a good swirl is pretty good...I get some solid vanilla and maybe some chocolate.
At this point, I'm itching to get into it. And when I finally do...what the hell?
Where did this beer go? I get none of the flavors that I detected in the nose.
Then I put the glass down and it's got good, Carmel lacing. Am I smoking crack?
Next sip, same thing: flat flavor and zero mouthfeel.
Well, I'll finish this bomber on principal alone and I'm glad that I finally pulled the trigger on this, but it's a major letdown, kinda like the hot chick that you finally get in the sack that you and your buddies have long wondered about:
Looks really hot and you've heard great things. She looks and smells awesome but is flat front and back with zero head and mouthfeel. At this point you're already getting some, so you might as well finish the job and share your experiences with your buddies to spare them the same painful fate.

3.43/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer had, really, not much of a smell to mention.
The taste of the beer got worse as I drank it; I found myself dropping the taste rating in my head with each sip.
The mouthfeel was above average- there was some real substance, I'm just not sure what it was.
Overall, this isn't a bad brew. I just don't understand why it's received by others as "world-class". I love my stouts, just not this one. To each his own.

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

Split a 22 oz bottle. Pours thick sludgy black with a small dark brown creamy head that receded and coated the glass nicely on the way down.

Lots of roasted malt and espresso in the nose. Dark chocolate and vanilla as well but the coffee/espresso notes were the strongest.

Taste was a letdown. The espresso came through a bit, but not as much as in the nose. Dominated by cocoa/chocolate with a little earthy bitterness. By the time it warmed to room temperature was incredibly sweet with nothing but chocolate in the flavor.

Creamy mouthfeel although felt a bit thin at times. Alcohol is very well hidden as I would have guessed this is around 7-8% based off alcohol taste. Got very cloying as it warmed.

Was let down by this one even more so after the great appearance and aroma. A little too one note and sweet for my taste. I struggled to put down 11 oz and didn't finish what my girlfriend didn't drink either which almost never happens. That said, I'd love to see a barrel aged version of this. Adding some booze to balance the sweetness would seem to work well.

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 1 pt 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a thick and viscous motor oil brown and was topped by a resilient, one-finger tall cap of saddle brown froth. Sheets of lacing coated the glass with every sip. The head slowly faded to clingy, bubbly ring.

Potent espresso notes dominated the nose. Good dose of roasted malts. Loads of vanilla. Touch of dark chocolate. The aroma was quite straightforward and, in this case, I definitely thought it worked well. If it were slightly more intense, however, I would have bumped the score up to a perfect "5."

While the flavor profile was similar in many ways to the nose, it was definitely more abrasive. The melding of heavily roasted coffee beans and roasted malts on the front was a bit too bitter for my palate. Bakers chocolate notes came through in the center. The finish was roasty and dry to the point of being acrid. Some earthy and piney hops made the beer even more bitter. On a positive note, the 11.5% ABV was remarkably well hidden.

The mouthfeel was disappointingly thin for the style. The liquid contained a fine, spritzy effervescence that was quite distracting.

I had high hopes for Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break but was really let down by it. While aging this might lessen the coffee character, it could also smooth out its rough edges. I would be curious to see what some time in a bourbon barrel might do to this.

3.52/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 2015... no idea when it might have been bottled.

Appearance: Jet black body with a generous finger of dark tan froth.

Aroma: Dark malts with a bit of a soy sauce edge. Maybe past its prime?

Taste: Definitely on the sweeter side but with a fair amount of bitterness on the back end. Quite boozy as well. Lots of black coffee essence and some harder flavors to discern (dark chocolate, almond, vanilla extract?) that all add up to an odd experience. Still it has a certain liqueur quality that is nice in the finish. Bitter dark chocolate/black coffee aftertaste. It's growing on me.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than molasses in the dead of winter. Just the right amount of minimal carbonation. Low drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Maybe past it's prime but still decent. The copious amount of flaky sediment coming out of the bottle when rinsing it had me worried. Would I drink it again? Maybe, but not before trying more of Evil Twin's lineup.

3.53/5  rDev -19.2%

Got this recently from MegDuf32, thank you very much. Typical imperial stout appearance. Aroma is yeast, dough, slight coffee and biscotti or some type of cookie? Flavor is pretty close to the nose and good. My only complaint regarding this beer is that it is too sweet. The alcohol is hidden but its a sugary beer and I'm not sure I'll finish the entire bottle (though I likely will)

3.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: bottle from...er...Pinocchio's?

Only in comparing this with the regular Biscotti Break did I realize that that one is much more rare than this one. Interesting. I also found the regular version to be much better than the imperial. Also interesting is that the regular is a porter and this is a stout, yet the porter was much more full-bodied. But anyway.

Decanted into a Surly Darkness goblet, this beer was an impenetrable obsidian color, though brown edges became apparent towards the end; a small cap of tannish-mocha head on top retained as a ringlet, yielding minimal lacing, more oily streaking. Appropriate for the style / ABV. Aroma was fairly roasty, notes of chocolate, vanilla, caramel. Taste was quite disappointing compared to the regular BB, roasty malts, semi-sweet chocolate, light notes of vanilla and almond, with quite a bit of intrusive booze that really thinned out the body quite a bit. I tried letting this come down closer to room temperature, but even with that, things didn't improve much. About medium-bodied, watered-down booze-like mouthfeel, not at all rich and creamy. Still decent overall, but lacking in many ways. This was a mess compared to its porter counterpart which was much more balanced and tasty.

3.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Too artificial tasting....like an unnatural weird mall coffee drink. Full bodied, oily, with an unpleasant aftertaste...again, artificial tasting. Just didn't get this.

3.59/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is good but I feel it's overrated heard great things and was disappointed

3.6/5  rDev -17.6%

There was a putrid aftertaste that ruined what would have been an exceptional beer.

3.61/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My bottle was over a year old. Coffee was non existent and it was very sweet. I've had it fresh and it was excellent. Live and learn

3.66/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Sleuthdog for opening this at a tasting!

A: pour is jet black engine oil with extremely high viscosity, pour with absolutely no head formation, no lacing. With a couple twirls of the glass, a very thin dark mocha head will form that dissipates into a thin film

S: I get a balance of coffee and espresso notes, molasses, toasted notes, some milk/creaminess also lingers. Slight burn of alcohol also is noticeable along with some sourness and dark chocolate lies in the back

T: tastes like a big chocolate brownie. In addition to the big chocolate, I pick up on coffee, smokiness, alcohol, some fruit characters and an slight creamy finish. Just a touch of hop character.

M: this is chewable…defintely one of the biggest beers I’ve ever had. It fits the appearance and the smell, nothing to complain about here.

O: I find this one off-balance in the smell as well as the taste… I find a sourness in the smell that pushes away some of the more aromatic notes and the taste just seems odd to me. This is my first offering by Evil Twin, and yet it is a good beer, by no means do I think that this is great (sorry, just my opinion). Not that this is a “knock”, but this one needs to be shared with others if you are going to open.

3.67/5  rDev -16%

A-Pours a syrupy, pitch black color with a dark cinnamon colored, creamy head with fair retention. Head purs at a one finger width and fades slowly to a half finger. Coats the entire glass as I sip and leaves a nice latticework of residual foam.

S-Sweet, fresh baked bread, sweet pastries, syrup and pancakes, bold coffee, slightly boozy, oatmeal raisin cookies.

T-Sweet, sugared bread is overpowering at the front but it fades nicely into a nutty, bold/bitter coffee flavor at the back of the palate. Finishes with a nice balance between the sweetness and bitter coffee

MF-Syrupy as hell. By far the thickest beer I've ever had. Body is thick and chewy, it seems to have the consistency of motor oil. I bought a bomber for my self tonight and there is no way I can drink all 25oz.

O-This is not for the faint of heart. Very, very sweet. Thick as hell. A pretty good imperial, but I think it is just too sweet. Looks better than most imperial's I've seen, though.

3.69/5  rDev -15.6%

had on draft today at Original Gravity in San Jose.

A: Completely opaque. In fact, the room became a bit darker once poured. In all seriousness, I think this is the darkest beer I've ever drank. Mocha colored head, but only present with some swirling.

S: Cocoa is the first thing that come through. A hint of sweet biscotti (who'd a thunk?). Not one bit of alcohol.

T: There is a bit of funk in this one. The bitterness of the cocoa and a mild background of currants. Alcohol is very well hidden in this one.

M: uber sticky but not overpowering. I will still be tasting it on the ride home

O: smells better than it tastes. I hope that the funk in the taste is from poor transportation practices in getting it to California, as opposed to the actual character of the beer. I'll have to try it again from a different source. I was really looking forward to this one.

3.7/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle into tasting snifter at Darkness Day. Cannot remember who shared this, but thanks!

A- Pours a pitch black with a thin mocha head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Cookie like sweetness upfront with vanilla, brown sugar, dark chocolate followed by coffee beans, caramel and roasted malt.

T- Caramel and roasted malt upfront followed by some bitter coffee grounds, vanilla and some dark chocolate. The coffee actually hurts the taste of this beer as it reminds of me coffee beans that were grounded too fine.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a slightly dry finish. ABV is hidden well.

O- While the aroma was promising, the bitter coffee taste really hurt this beer IMO. Glad I tried this as I've been hearing good things, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find another bottle.

3.7/5  rDev -15.3%

Pour is jet black with a tight dark mahogany head. Nose is rich, dark roasted malts with chocolate cake batter, anise, cooked brown sugar, and a bit of residual sugar. Taste is also big, not overly sugary for the richness. Deeply roasted dark malts with rich cake batter and brown sugar. Full bodied, light bitterness lingers through a softly carbonated finish.

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing