Evil Twin Lil' B - Evil Twin Brewing

American Porter |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: avalon07 on 08-08-2012

Ratings: 1,083 | Reviews: 176
2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

On tap at Coffee District. Served in a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Black body. Nice khaki head. Great surface wisping.

Smell - Boozy dark chocolate. Some sweetness and a hint of a chemical aroma. Almost meaty.

Taste - Rich chocolate. Caramel malt. Boozy. The finish is a little bitter. And then the plasticky flavor kicks in. Really kills what works with this beer.

Mouthfeel - Not too heavy, but boozy. The plastic flavor ruins it though.

Overall - Someone else described it as metallic and meaty. I got plastic. Something is off though.

2.79/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottled 8/20/13.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, smoke, cocoa, vanilla, oatmeal raisin cookie dough, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa, char, soy sauce, and metallic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a solid set of aromas, but the taste is way too hard to stomach with the metallic and other off flavors.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%

Very sweet, lingering malt flavor that rounds out nicely. Good dessert beer

3.02/5  rDev -27.6%

Really not a big fan of this one. Way too malty in my opinion

3.14/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 3/20/13 and likely it has seen better days. No booze burn and a nice roasted coffee, brown sugar and dark chocolate flavors that barely lingered. Just tasted oxidized and really disappointing.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Eye: Pours jet black, pretty much no head whatsoever. It could look better.

Nose: Overall weak aroma. Im getting some chocolate, but even that is weak.

Tongue: Chocolatey upfront with some burnt and hints of roast in the back. Tastes like a porter. Bitterness from roasted malts. Alcohol is detectable and plays a role in the flavor. Maybe some hints of prunes in there, other dark fruits. Body feels light due to higher carbonation that I would expect. Just a bit too much alcohol, more body and flavor and I'd be happier with it. Just really not impressed. Sure I drank the other three bottles no problem and enjoyed it, but for me its just not worth the money.

Drinkability: I mean this is a nice porter or Imperial porter I should say, however, as far as flavor goes, I'd much rather go for Founder's Porter. Such a better beer. The price point on this one two isn't justified by the flavor. Its good, but not that good. Somewhere around $13 a 4-pack, I'd rather go for Founder's at $10 a 6er. This is a good beer, don't get me wrong but I feel I'm left wanting more. Glad I've tried it, but I would rather drink something else, and come back to something else.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Complexity, a lot of flavors underneath, but for me unpleasantly overwhelming winey taste of alcohol on top of everything. If you cannot balance a high abv brew with other flavors, you should not release the beer. If that does not bother you, you will probably love it.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A coworker gifted me some bottles of this beer. Her husband had gotten some and didn't like it, so she gave them to me.

The flavor of this beer reminded me of Raisinette candies. It's not a bad thing, but I've never been a fan of chocolate covered raisins. But in beer form, it was alright - not quite my preference in beer flavors as it was a bit too sweet and heavy tasting for my liking. But it wasn't too bad to sip on.

Because of the higher alcohol content, and having already drunk another beer earlier, I was only able to finish half of the bottle. I still have a bottle left, but I may have to separate it into 2 servings to share.

3.32/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Tap and Mallet in Rochester, NY.

Apparently this is the base for Imperial Biscotti Break. They must really tinker with the base to get the deliciousness of IBB, because Lil' B is just not that good, at least for my tastes.

Pours a dark black, with a half inch mocha-colored head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells ashy and smokey, with some chocolate and roasted malt.

The ashiness of this beer is just hard to get by. I didn't really expect it, and I don't like it. There's some chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt poking through, but the ash and smoke overwhelms. Just not really a pleasant beer, unfortunately.

Medium bodied, creamy smooth mouthfeel, a bit of a slow sipper due to the off-flavors.

Not my thing at all, one of the few dark beers Evil Twin has let me down on.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a very dark brown with a dark brown head that fades fairly quickly.

S - Roasted malt, smokey, chocolate.

T - Smokey and burnt malts.

D - Decent carbonation with a heavy body.

O - Very burnt and bitter. I am not a fan.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter.

A: pours black with little to no head at first then a slight almost quater finger of coffe colored head forms and dissapates rather quickly, some little lacing.

S: mild on the aroma, I get some hints of chocolate, slight dark fruit, not to much otherwise.

T: I primarily get dark fruits and chocolate here, particuarly raisin but deffinatly a touch of pruniness as well, a bit of alcohol and some sweetness in the middle, a touch of hop bitterness and roast on the end.

M: heavy bodies and viscous will little carbonation, the alcohol deffinatly makes it self know, I am a bit confused as to why this falls into the imperial porter family, deffia you seems like a stout to me.

O: I'm kinda dissapointed here, especially after seeing the reviews this beer has gotten so far.... This is the second time I've tried it, once on tap and once out of the bottle and neither time was I overly impressed, I am not a huge fan of dark fruit and. Deffinatly do not expect to find them in my porter wether it be imperial or not, I felt this could have been good with much more coffee and roastyness. But overall this is just an average brew to me,

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a globe)
A- The jet black body has a thin deep cocoa tan head that fades to a ring.

S- The clean aroma has hints of inky black bitterness with some dark graham malt notes coming through with as it opens.

T- The mellow black roasted malt with a dry nougat hint in the finish with a touch of sweetness. There is a black bitterness that hints in the back of the throat and stays. There are some dark burnt toffee notes coming through as it warms.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture that turns into a gentle fizz. There is no alcohol heat.

O- There are some nice hints of malt with some complexity but they are very faint and only come through when it is really warm in the last 3 oz.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 06/10/13

Pours oily, pitch-black, effervescent & with a pinky of brown/caramel head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, carob & molasses, vanilla & juicy fruit

T: Carob, leafy hops, prunes, booze & dryness up front. More leafy hops, carob & prunes as this warms, plus boozeyness, charcoal & dryness as this warms, slight coffee. Finishes dry with plums, raisins, charcoal, carob, plus leafy& woody hops

MF: Semi-chewy, slight carbonation, boozey heat. Becomes chewier & dry as this warms & somewhat sticky

This is alright, but over-priced & over-rated to me, won't buy again unless the price point is MUCH better. Worth a try, but not if you want value. Seems like this could stand about 6 more months of aging, Never quite turns the corner for me

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: Lil' B poured a jet black, crowned by a thin, light tan head, which settled out very quickly, and left little to no lacing as I finished the glass.

Aroma: Poking my nose into the glass, I'm hit with a wall of bitter chocolate, pecans, and an undertone of campfire smoke. Each concurrent whiff also brings with it a slightly stronger booze character along for the ride. By the smell, this is a very promising beer.

Taste: As I take my first sip, I get a lot of that dark, bitter chocolate, along with more subtle notes of raisins, or some similar dark, dried fruit. I also get a lot of the alcohol that was showing up in the aroma. Too much, for my liking. The back end of the palate also has the slightest touch of wet dog to it. Almost imperceptible, (and in some sips, not present at all), but enough to make each sip a little cautious, and thus diluting the overall experience.

Mouthfeel: This beer finishes fairly sweet, with very low carbonation, carried by a fairly medium sized body. I was expecting a drier finish, being a porter, and an imperial at that, but it's not unpleasant.

Overall: I had high hopes for this imperial porter, but in the end was left a little wanting. The most off-putting was the little bit of wet dog taste; if not for that, I probably would have rated it at least half a point higher in both taste and overall.

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours like a stout, black as licorice, just hints of brown beneath the black; medium brown head, with good persistence.

Smells like God's Porter. This is simply what Porter is meant to smell like. Would be rated even higher if it were more intense.

Alas, the taste doesn't live up to the promise. Sweet, almost fruity, malty, raisiny. Somehow evokes fruitcake. This is not why I buy Porter. Very disappointing, honestly, after the build up.

Nice mouthfeel, very rich. Does a decent job moderating the perceived presence of alcohol, but holy crap, 11.6 ABV is a lot.

Overall: not my cup of tea. Will not buy again. Tastes like the recipe was from two different brewmasters whose ideas differed what they were aiming for.

3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz Bottle from Party Source Syracuse NY for $5

Appearance - Dark brown colour with an average size frothy/fizzy beige head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, coffee, smoke

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and coffee. There is also some charred notes, some smoke, and a little bit of a lactose type flavour found in a milk stout.

Overall - A pretty complex tasting beer. The charred/smokey notes come through during the aftertaste and chocolate/coffee at first.. but in the middle there is a lactose/odd peaty flavour that comes through that I can't decide if I like or hate. Either way, this is an interesting beer that is worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz. Bottled June 2013. Thick dark brown pour, layer of dark tan froth. Retained ok.

Aroma, healthy roast, caramel, some sweeter malt, plenty of chocolate.

Taste, Really sweet, malty caramel with cocoa and dark chocolate. Molasses. Not enough roast at first to offset this. Improves as it warms. Quite a bit of fusal-y alcohol present as well. It is big and boozy. Borders on a little Dark Lordish. Just a little roast and hop presence in the finish. Does become more balanced as it warms as I mentioned before.

Alcohol warmth is a bit warm at first. Nicely coating and solid body wise. Maybe it is just this bottling but that abv is nowhere near hidden. Heat from the mouth all the way down. Combined with the heavy sweetness this is not the easiest drinker. That also improves as it warms.

Starts out really well, ends up not so much for me. For the price this will probably be the last Evil Twin brew I try in a bottle. Will only seek out on draft where I can get half pours.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into an oversized stemmed tulip

A: Can’t tell if this is black or if the lovely dark brown head is influencing me to think that the body is also brown. Either way, it’s dark as you would expect. Head faded away pretty quickly, leaving a thin ring around the edge. Not much lacing as it went down.

S: Sweet milk chocolate. Roasted chocolate malt. Cocoa. Some caramel. Slight floral hop presence.

T: Starts syrupy sweet and evolves into some nice roastiness. Fills your mouth with rich flavor then dries it out in the finish. Getting some soy sauce which isn't ideal. Some hop flavor shows up in the middle toward the end. Pretty intense flavor overall.

M: Full body, medium carb. Drinkability pretty low for me due to the sweetness and overall flavor intensity.

O: A well brewed beer, but most sweet porters/stouts just aren’t my cup of tea. I didn’t care for Imperial Biscotti Break and this isn’t different enough for me to like it more.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured out as a deep black color with a mocha creamy head on top. The head settles a bit and leaves a moderate to light lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is roasted and earthy, it's almost musty and charred. The taste of the beer is slightly sweet with a good amount of roast in there as well, more earthy robust flavors with a burnt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel was dry, a little high in carbonation but heavy as well. Overall this beer was decent, not something I'd spend a lot of money on though.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%

Black with thin umber head. Roasty, chocolate aroma. Rich chocolate and espresso with hints of vanilla. Fairly clean, light finish belying rich flavor. Light alcohol. Slightly metallic aftertaste. Smooth yet thin silky texture.

Very smooth imperial porter with good flavor. The light metallic aftertaste (which could be from the draft lines) grew a bit stronger but the flavor of the beer won out without a long linger.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slight dark brown head but with lasting retention, mild lacing but again with lasting retention.
Molasses and roasted chocolate malts are the first part of the aroma to hit. Alcohols makes itself known very lightly for a relatively high alcohol brew. For me this was a hard brew to finish because it had a bitter after taste that was not to appealing. First mouthfeel was OK but the bitter after taste just killed it for me. Like to think of myself as one who enjoys a good Porter, but it wasn't this one.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

If you're looking for a rock-heavy porter with a lot of alcohol, the Danes have a brew for you!

An opaque black brew with a tan head.

Smells of barnyard and malt.

Tastes of sweet malt and shoe polish. A man's ale: "Hey, bartender, put that in a dirty glass."

Tastes heavy... really heavy, man.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Looks like one would expect. Notes of chocolate and dark fruit in the aroma. Taste has a little more of a charred malt taste along with chocolate, figs and a little raisin. Feel medium-heavy with little carbonation. All in all, it's got some taste, but I can't help comparing it to this year's Black Butte XXIV and favoring that one. This isn't quite as good and costs more. However, this one isn't a one-and-done brew, so there's that.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Jet black with a short brown head that dissipates quickly. I saw a chunk of yeast go kerplunk into my glass towards the end of the pour, so watch out!

Nose
Semi-sweet chocolate, raisin, fig, coffee, vanilla, and dark caramel.

Taste
Semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, and sherry. Medium roast coffee with light additions of cream, sugar and vanilla. Molasses, caramel, raisin, fig, and black plum. Finishes with notes of earth and cocoa nib.

Mouthfeel
Medium-plus bodied, slick, oily, sticky, and warming.

Overall
Robust, rich, sweet, and decadent. A nice sipper at 11.5%.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a blackish body with one finger tan head and minimal lace on top of an aroma consisting mostly of roasted and coffee notes, but also some breadiness, dark chocolate, toffee and some dark fruits. Thick, chewey, hearty, all words that could describe this fuller-bodied beer passing over my tongue, and the taste is similiar to the nose. A roasted, coffee-esque dryness is in the beer along with dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, possible figs or dark fruits and has a sticky finish (ABV is muted in the finish). An enjoyable sipper but for some reason this beer felt slightly offbalance.

Evil Twin Lil' B from Evil Twin Brewing