Evil Twin Lil' B - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: avalon07 on 08-08-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,023 | Reviews: 159
4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: pours almost jet black with a nice thick deep tan head.

S:heavy waves of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malty sweetness

T: chocolate initially rich malt sweetness, dark fruits, plums, not much bitterness. slight chocolate lingers on the finish with a bit of a warming alcohol burn.

M: my first thought is that its slightly thin....but for a porter, as opposed to a stout, its pretty good.

O: a pretty good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 2 19 14. Thick mouthfeel in a good way. Booziness mellowed with age. Lots of dark chocolatey fruit.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Lil' B last month for $3.59 at Holiday Market. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and since this is the first time that I saw it and it wasn't really overpriced I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 12/2214. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, I thought it was a little odd, but it is a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the alcohol being the first to show up and it imparts a pretty sweet boozy aroma that's followed by a nice milk chocolate, cocoa and cocoa nib like aroma with a some roasted malt aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable dark fruit aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. This beer has a good aroma, but I wish the booze was hidden just a little better.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up, but this time it has more of a dark chocolate like aspect to it and it's followed by the booze which is noticeable, but it's hidden much better than it was in the aroma. Up next comes some sweet and roasted malts which are followed by that same fruity aspects that I got in the aroma with no single dark fruit seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweet booze taking it's place with a chocolate and dark fruit like aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, i thought the flavors were well balanced, but I wish the intense cocoa aspect from the aroma showed up.

M- A little smooth, a little boozy, a little warming, not too crisp, sticky, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, but i wish the booze was hidden just a little better.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I've had a few Imperial Porters and I've found the thing that sets it apart from an imperial stout is mainly more of a dark fruit presence and this beer for sure had that which made it fall right inline with the style in my opinion. This beer has ok drinkability, it's a little smooth, a little boozy, a little warming, not too crisp, sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be my limit, anymore than that and I think the sweetness and booze would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was how balanced the taste was, no aspect got too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was how well the booze was hidden, I think it could have been hidden just a little batter. I would buy this beer again and I would love to throw a couple in the cellar to see how it ages. I would recommend this beer, especially if you like big and strong dark beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it turned it pretty much how I expected and in the end I enjoyed sipping on it. This is one of the better Evil Twin beers I've had and it's also one of the better Imperial Porters I've had. Good job guys this this was a tasty beer, keep up the hard work.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Evil Twin Lil' B from Evil Twin Brewing