Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Imperial Doughnut Break - Evil Twin Brewing

Imperial Doughnut BreakImperial Doughnut Break

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Netdigger2 on 02-25-2013

Did the flavors of sugar and bitter sweet almonds and coffee in Imperial Biscotti Break also make you sentimental? Now we topped it off with insane amounts of doughnuts. This all time American favorite is making it’s way back into the spotlight and we at Evil Twin Brewing are not letting a tasty trend pass us by without taking it to the next level. Drink it with great gusto - Forza Doughnuts.
Reviews: 144 | Hads: 1,297
4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice porter. Can taste the roast malts, sweet chocolate smell, medium carbonation, has nearly zero foam with little lacing, gets more flavorful as it warms. (156 characters)

22 ounce bottle into a snifter.

A dark and thick looking pour, with a small head of dark tan foam, some cling. Smells of roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, some caramel. Taste pretty much follows the nose, except the coffee is more intense in the taste and leads the way along with the malt. Fair amount of bitterness on the back end. Not sure what I was expecting, but I still want some donuts. Sweet, but not overly so. Smooth and full bodied.

Maybe my taste buds were tired, but I was a bit disappointed in this one. Still a good beer, but less so than the base. For me, the donuts weren"t a positve addition and detracted from the depth of flavor. (671 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

great overall imperial porter - pours almost black, good mild carb. tons of sweet chocolate/sugar in the nose, the taste is actually very doughnut like and very tasty even though its very sweet. this one is a sweet so it's more of a share bottle for me. glad I had it and was a sneaky 11.5% porter. (301 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours black with a nice tan head with lacing throughout as I drank it. It improves a lot as you let it warm. The nose has lots of chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malt. The taste is similar, and the crazy thing is you can actually pick up on the doughnut. (263 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz. bottle.

A: Pours completely opaque black with and inch and a half of deep mocha brown head. Head fades quickly and leaves little to no lacing.

S: Aromas of roasted coffee, chocolate covered cake doughnuts, and roasted malts initially. Then aromas of chocolate milk, almonds, tobacco, oak, dark fruits, and some booziness. Smells a lot like a chocolate glazed doughnut enjoyed with a morning Irish cream infused coffee and a cigar.. Alcohol becomes noticeable as it warms and if I didn't know better I would say this was BBA.

T: Chocolate, vanilla, glazed doughnut, and pipe tobacco flavors up front. In the middle you find roasted malts, more layered chocolate flavors, roasted coffee, dark fruits, almonds and other nut flavors. Finishes with some pleasantly noticeable alcohol and wood like earthy bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Very delicious I fell like I want to say it's to sweet but I can't because it is actually very balanced. Like most porters it gets even better and more complex as it warms, truly a excellent breakfast/dessert beer.

M: Medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated. Slick as motor oil, creamy as chocolate milk, and smooth as a beautiful woman's skin. Leaves a thin coating on the tongue and has a nice alcohol warmth. Bitter sweet which I love.

O: An incredibly impressive brew. Evil Twin as been making me a very happy man as of late. I can't wait to crack IBB and EMJ from them as well. I bought all three on a whim and considering Molotov Cocktail and Molotov Lite are great. This just blew my f***ing mind they are creating a impressive track record. This is a very fine Porter I highly recommend to seek this out and give it a try, I hope you will be as impressed as I was. (1,740 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

22oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A: Pitch black pour. Creamy brown head settles after a short while. Wispy lacing.

S: Fudge sauce and chocolate. Tootsie rolls. Chocolate truffles. Sugary glaze and donuts actually do comtinute. Whiff of nutty coffee. Hints of a grape skin sort of fruitiness.

T: Sweet and sugary up front with donut glaze coming through. Nougat. Fudge sauce and lots of chocolate. Big sweetness throughout. Layer of woody and roasty malts. Nutty coffee comes to the forefront for a bit. Kiss of smoke. Brief hint of berry-like fruitiness. Alcohol is barely perceptible. Lingering sweet, chocolates,mane smokey finish.

M: Medium-full body. Filling and round in the mouth. Very creamy and silky texture, coating too. Light prickling carbonation.

O: Yeah, it's a gimmicky beer, but they pulled it off well. Glazed donut flavor actually does come through, though it's one of those things- if I wasn't looking for it I'm not sure I would recognize it for what it is. It melds in pretty easily. In typical Evil Twin fashion, this huge sugary malt bomb somehow stays lithe and silky in body. There's no excessive sludgy weight of syrupy texture weighing it down. The sheer sweetness of it hits halfway through the glass though. This is one I'd rather share. (1,282 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Look: Pours like motor oil. I know that's cliche for barrel-aged stouts, but this is a NON-barrel-aged porter. It has a small amount of surprisingly dark brown carb with almost no lacing. I like the look of it a lot.

Smell: They already put the doughnut idea in my mind with the name, but it is reminding me of a chocolate doughnut. Definitely chocolate smell with milky sweet notes. Maybe a faint whiff of coffee, but it's barely noticeable. But it's a very nice smell. Too many adjunct stouts and porters have chocolate-dominant smell that turns chemically, but I'm enjoying the smell of this one almost as much as the appearance.

Taste: Sweet and bitter are both present, leaning more toward the sweet, which works for me. I like tasting the bitterness without being overwhelmed by it. Still getting tons of chocolate flavor and roastiness. A hint of coffee, but you have to pay attention to notice it. As it warms, an earthy, tobacco-like flavor appears, like what you might get from a smooth cigar.

Feel: Light carb, no bite, and a satisfying viscosity. Generally I find stouts to have more body than porters, but this is a more stout-like mouthfeel.

Overall: at first, I thought it sounded gimmicky, and I was underwhelmed with their Biscotti Break. This one easily surpassed my expectations. It's hard to imagine how this could be improved much without being barrel-aged. A bit more coffee or a hint of maple might enhance it a bit. It would be difficult to drink more than one, but for now, my sweet-tooth is happy. (1,528 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Black with a very light tan head (almost yellow)
S: Milk and dark chocolate. Not dark chocolate milk, two separated and distinct flavors. A little alcohol too.
T: Very sweet, smooth chocolate, milky smooth. Delicious! I knock it down because there is no coffee.
F: Easy drinking and coats my mouth well. It's a little thin, not as thick as Even More Jesus is only thing holding this one back.
O: A sweeter porter, that's easy to drink. Worth trying for sure. (466 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: opaque, black with a dark tan head that lasts and lasts.

Aroma: tobacco, like smelling a freshly opened pack of smokes with vanilla in the background.

Flavor: tobacco upfront, which transitions into vanilla. This beer is sweet, perhaps too sweet to drink more than one. Beyond 1, this beer would approach cloying. As you progress with this beer, the vanilla becomes more dominant and tilts the beer out of balance. These flavors, though, would pair very well with cheesecake. Light roast malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: medium to medium-heavy. Perfect for this style.

Overall: this was an enjoyable beer but delivered nothing beyond expectation. I would offer this to others, but I likely won't buy it again. (724 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

22 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color. The pour itself also looks thick as hell. There's about a finger worth of tan-colored head. For 11.5%, retention is quite good, to say nothing how creamy and soft the head looks. There isn't much lacing left on the glass, though. (4)

Smell: Let's not dick around here - I don't get any dougnut to speak of. What I do get, though, is dark chocolate, and a LOT of it. Just like Imperial Biscotti Break, really. Coffee also exists subtly, as does roasted malt. To me, it seems sweeter than its base version, with less of that aforementioned roasted edge that I enjoyed about it so much. Still, that chocolate though! (3.75)

Taste: Come to think about it...I do taste a little bit of doughnut at first. And then dark chocolate hits the palate like a wrecking ball, as expected. Chocolate-glazed doughnuts, anyone? There's a gentle hint of roast on the back end. All in all, it reminds me of Southern Tier's big stouts (especially Choklat) with its big, sweet ridiculousness. But here's the thing: it works. It's sugary and almost cloying, yet there's just enough complexity (for example, some dark fruit, brown sugar, and caramel notes appear after a while) to make it palatable beyond just 4 oz - though it should be said that after this point, it stops being mindblowingly phenomenal. Would I want to kill a full bottle of it? Honestly, yes...but it would take a damn while. And maybe a glass of water. Whatever, it's good stuff. (4)

Mouthfeel: Big, thick, syrupy...yeah, this is pure dessert beer material. But there's also an astringent prickle on the back end that aids its drinkability. There's nothing about this one that screams 11.5%, not a damn thing. Granted, it's smothered by its sugar-laden nature, but who's keeping score? Carbonation is pretty low as well. (3.75)

Overall: I was skeptical on whether or not this would improve (or even significantly differentiate) on Imperial Biscotti Break. To me, this one peaks far more highly after only a few ounces, but the base version ends up being more drinkable and tastier in the long run. Still, a whole bottle can be downed solo if your sweet tooth is particularly rotten. I doubt I'd buy this again at ~$15 a bomber - still, this is a great dessert beer. (4)

3.92/5: Imperial dessert break (2,319 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Really amazing porter. Although it is carbed more like a stout.

Has that dark creamy head and a metallic black texture that you would get in in some higher end bourbon barrel releases.

Although the price point is high, this is definitely a really nice hand crafted stout.

It says 11.5% ABV on the bottle, but I cannot taste any alcohol at all.

One of my biggest pet peeves with imperial ales and stouts is the taste of ethyl alcohol lingering in the background and in the finish of the beer.

Not the case with Doughnut Break. Just a really smooth great tasting product.

Be careful because one bottle can go down like water and intoxicate you really quickly. Probably a good idea to bring this to a bottle share or split with a friend. (744 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Look 9/10
Smell 16/20
Taste 36/40
Feel 16/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 85/100

Summery: Thought it was just ok.... For the price I think you could do much better. Worth a tick though, as its still really good. Just not '$12 a bomber' good~ (254 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours deep black and slightly thin, but slick like motor oil and a pencil thin layer of light brown foam.

Chocolate, coffee, and donuts!

Huge chocolate and coffee flavor with a other notes of roasted malt and chocolate donuts and glaze.

Heavy-bodied, light carbonation, a bit too sweet for my taste.

Overall, while this certainly lives up to it's name, it is more of a dessert beer to share with friends or family than one to knock back alone. (448 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Did not realize this was 11.5% until doing this review... really well hidden. Incredibly smooth for this large of a Porter. Still has some nice roastiness, but not overpowering burn either in the roast or the alcohol. Almonds and coffee come through in both aroma and flavor. Not sure what they added for a "doughnut" flavor... maybe some extra vanilla bean? Tasty, nonetheless. (383 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells like chocolate, almond, and literally chocolate doughnuts. Slight alcohol heat in both nose and tatste. Tastes like an alcoholic chocolate doughnut. (155 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My local shoppe just got a bunch of Evil Twin in and I had to just start trying them all and this is a very tasty beer.

A - Deep, dark brown with a viscosity that is hallmark of a good imperial stout. The thick fluid yields a moderate, rocky dark brown head with good lacing.

S - Initially this is very similar to Biscotti Break but with more of a sweet, malty edge. There is malt, caramel, milk chocolate, and coffee. There is a lot going on in the nose but you can tell it is going to be on the sweet side.

T - Initially the sweet malt, caramel, and chocolate flavors are full of depth and are very good. It has the smooth nature that the Evil Twin stouts have leading to a complex and easy drinking taste. The finish is a little more of the coffee and black malt but not quite enough to balance evenly.

M - High mouth-feel with low carbonation. This is a sweet beer but it is a little dryer and slightly thinner than Biscotti which allows the sweetness to not get carried away.

Overall, this is a very delicious beer. Great flavor that is smooth, rich, and sweet. It is still slightly sweet but a little dryer on the finish keeping it very drinkable. I was very surprised at how easy this beer was to drink a full 22oz bottle. I guess that is the most distinct similarity to donuts since it's too easy to overindulge. I also drank this on National Doughnut Day so I kept with the theme.

Glass- Imperial nonic pint (1,425 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - Nice, tan head with fine bubbles. Little retention. Thick, oily body.

Smell - Slight bourbon smell. Very sweet. If the beer wasn't called Doughnut Break I couldn't smell glazed doughnuts, but it is there. Raspberry. Coffee. Dark chocolate.

Taste - The smell translates right to taste. More barrel than expected.

Feel - Thick and syrupy. I don't feel much carbonation. Oozes down the throat. (403 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours black with a beautiful brown head. This is one of those beers that straddles the line between porter and stout. The aroma is not very strong. Flavor is coffee and chocolate with a sweet edge. I don't get donuts anywhere in this beer. Overall I like it but not as much as the Imperial Biscotti Break. Evil Twin is moving up my list of favorite breweries. (365 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From a 650 ml bottle to a snifter.

A-The beer pours heavily from the bottle into the glass. The head is short and thick; it lasts about a minute before fading to a film. No lacing is left behind and there are only a few bubbles of carbonation in the deep dark-brown liquid.

S-The aroma is deep and rich with strong flavors of milk and dark chocolate, brown sugar, cream, brewed coffee, and sweet dough. I can barely detect any alcohol here.

T-The taste is similarly sweet, big, and rich. It suggests brownies, brewed coffee, sweet bread dough, brown sugar, and almond. There is just a touch of char here too.

M-The body is medium to heavy with a lower level of carbonation. The beer is a little sticky.

O-This Imperial Break variant might be my favorite. It is big, sweet, and a bit sticky, so if those things annoy you, look elsewhere, but I enjoyed the flavor profile here a lot. The beer suggests donuts without actually tasting like a donut. Like many beers these days, it manages to hide its large ABV really well. (1,024 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap @ Final Gravity in Roseville, CA 12/13/14

Appearance - Served up in a 11.5oz snifter with a half finger of head. The brew is black with cola brown edging. Doesn't do much to hold onto that half finger's worth of head, as it quickly breaks down to a near barren surface and a razor thin ring around the edge. Small spots of lace with little stick.

Smell - Aroma is a combination of sweet and boozy. Brown sugar, molasses and bready sweetness.

Taste - Starts sweet, than an earthy metallic character creeps into the finish, but the sugary sweetness prevails, then becomes overwhelming sip after sip until it's a cloying mess.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with healthy carbonation. Sticky, syrupy texture.

Overall - I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed with this one. A bit too sweet with a strange, metallic and earthy finish.The smell says donut, but the flavor is a mess. Nothing I'd care to have again. (922 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A ballsy porter. Really had more of a stout character in terms of mouth feel. The coffee cuts through strongest but you get the nice malty sweetness in the finish. I will definitely grab this again when it comes around. (219 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

One of my favorite stouts from Evil Twin. Nice sweetness, bready, toffee, burnt caramel, malty, chocolate, subtle coffee(becomes more bitter coffee aged). Just a great sipping stout for an after dinner dessert. (210 characters)

This beer is truly a decadent masterpiece and I love it. I've seen a few others picking it apart, but I can't find any faults with it at all. The appearance is a smallish, thick, brown, slow to settle head, some lace, and an opaque black brown black color. Aroma was a volatile chocolate up front, then dark malts, nutmeats, toffee, burnt sugar. Flavor's like nose, in spite of the hype- not over sweet; in fact, nicely bittersweet; just enough tang. Exceedingly well balanced. Body is just perfect for the style with just enough boozy warmth, again to fit this style. An example of genius all around from these guys. (617 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: poured into a snifter to a deep black with minimal dark tan head formation that fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass
S: smells of chocolate and coffee with some roasted malts and burnt sugar
T: taste is coffee, sugary sweetness, almods, dark chocolate and slight roasted malt and some slight doughnut flavor. swallow is roasted malts, a little charred wood and some chocolate covered coffee beans.
M: fairly heavy on the palate but not chewy with soft carbonation and a neutral finish that leans toward drying
O: This is a big beer with big flavors, great complexity and no apparent alcohol flavors. It tastes great and drinks well for the size so if you like big stouts you should try and get your hands on this one. (745 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Best by: Unknown. Drank 12.6.14. 22oz bomber poured into a red wine glass.

A: Shallow head immediately upon pour which dissipates within seconds. Leaves a faint collar and small island of dark mocha froth. Fairly viscous, coats and lingers on the glass. No light penetration through the body, but hints at the edge.

S: Strong molasses, caramel sweetness, roasted ground coffee, almond milk, dark bitter chocolates. Traces of vanilla. Less sweet and stronger roast after proper warming.

T: Dark chocolate, roasted ground coffee, strong toasted malt. Thick burnt sugar, extraordinarily sweet, but with a dark side. Coffee and molasses become far more prominent once warmed to room temp.

M: Thick, oily, coats the mouth and throat. Clingy, initial fizz upon hitting the tongue, but beyond that... no carbonation. Heavy, a desert beer if that category even exists.

O: Definitely a treat, and fairly unique, but like most Evil Twin beers, it doesn't live up to the hype... or the price.It has a strong novelty to it, but novelty only goes so far. And at this price point, there are better options to enjoy. (1,106 characters)

Imperial Doughnut Break from Evil Twin Brewing