Evil Twin Femme Fatale Noir - Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing visit their website
Denmark

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

100% Brett Black IPA

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-27-2013)
4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

Not sure why I didn't give this a 5 across the board. I've been making a point to try both Black IPAs and anything with Brett for a few years now, but I haven't seen a pairing of the two. An issue I have with some Brett offerings is a lack of balance as many tend to be overpowered by the Brett funk. Although this beer is unmistakably Brett it is also unmistakably a very hoppy, roasty black beer. This beer is firing on all cylinders and is everything one should expect from a Brett black IPA.

A: as advertised, black. Careful pour yields a finger foam, nice lacing. A surprisingly thick sediment coated the bottom of the bomber after the last pour. The last few drops were a dark, thick motor oil, but I always enjoy the taste and mouthfeel addition of sediment to the final pour when present.

S: hops, roast, brett. I honestly didn't appreciate the smell enough and just wanted to dive in.

T/M have to be considered together here IMO. Very silky, bitter, funk, bbq roast. I'm feeling redundant but everything is as advertised for a black Brett IPA with nothing more, but everything meeting hopes and expectations perfectly. The aftertaste is teasing me. Time to go to bed, and I regret having to brush my teeth and drink water.

O: see above. I'm very impressed and wish I had bought more. Purchased at a wonderful diamond in the rough Community Tap in Greenville, SC. I bought one bomber amongst other purchases and am kicking myself for using restraint in a beer store for once. I may call a friend to shelve away a few more to ensure I have something to look forward to for next visit.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black. Very little light getting through, opaque. It actually looks pretty murky when thinned out a bit. Based on the flavor, I'm wondering if a little Sinamar or something snuck into this beer. Very nice beige head. It's a thick blanked of fine bubbles. Aroma is a superb mix of big tropical and bright citrus hop flavors with some clean brett funk. I guess "clean" is sort of an odd adjective for funk, but all brett beers often seem clean to me. It's more bacteria and poor fermentation that seem messy. Anyway, there's a touch of roast in the background, but the hops are really the star. Pineapple, mango, kiwi, tangerine, raspberry, grapes. Wonderful. The taste is also quite nice. There's more roast/chocolate flavor, but it's still mostly bright, flavorful hops with a bretty background. Fairly dry. Lots of hop flavor. Some roast and hop bitterness in the finish. Finish is a touch astringent but otherwise quite good. Medium, prickly carbonation. Hoppiness lingers for quite awhile. I'm not a big fan of ABAs and strongly prefer ones with less roast character. This is right up my alley, but I'm not sure if that will be a universal opinion. On a sidenote, there is a ton of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark as night, with great head retention and a multiple strands of lace

Smell: Just sniffing it, the aroma overwhelms with floral citrus and black bread elements; hard to pick up the Brett

Taste: The citrusy hops and the Brett intermingle, with the black bready malt laying down a base underneath; in the middle, the Brett really starts to dominate, adding a chalky/lemony tone though, in the finish, the malt re-emerges to balance the bitter and tart flavors with some underlying sweetness

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A Brett ABA, well that's another first for me - glad to have tried it