Eichbaum Ureich Premium Pils - Privatbrauerei Eichbaum GmbH & Co. KG

good

Privatbrauerei Eichbaum GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-17-2002)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

I bought a case of this on a whim. It was inexpensive ($18.99) and I thought "how bad could it be, it's from Germany"? Well, being in green glass, some of the bottles were skunked, and I was still OK with that. But the bottles in the center of the case were fine. So this is from a non-skunked bottle. Oh, and I was right, Germans take their beer very seriously, and for less than 20 bucks I'll be buying more of this!

Appearance: Crystal-clear golden body. Short-lived head of bright white. Average lacing. Typical.

Aroma: Lots of grassy and spicy hops swirl atop a straightforward, grainy, Pilsener malt base.

Taste: The malt is more pronounced in the flavor, but it's still heavily threaded through with lots of hop flavor. It's sweetish and grainy, and a touch bready and toasty. The hops are a bit wider as well, and they're grassy, spicy, and a bit herbal. A bold bitterness backs it, and it finishes dry, hoppy, and bitter; lingering for a good bit with notes of grainy and sweetish malt fading to leave the grassy hops upfront, and then the hops recceding to leave it simply dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Solidly medium bodied with a crisp, median carbonation.

Drinkability: Well, I bought a case of these on a Friday afternoon, and then proceeded to drink about 20 of them before work on Monday morning. Of course I like bitter German Pilseners with a good malt girth. The skunkiness of some of the bottles is a bit detracting, but as a basic drinking beer while grilling in the backyard during summer, or watching TV, or hanging with the guys I think it works. Think Heineken, but not quite as refined.

NeroFiddled, Jul 11, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

Found this in my local Morrisons store, I think the brewery has dropped the 'Ureich' from the name for the UK market. best before May 2007, drank March 2007.

4.8%, they just call it Eichbaum Premium Pils, sold in 0.5 litre brown bottles at 99 pence each.

I had just finished chopping and sawing wood for the 'sit around the Chimnia and be happy we've got central heating inside, evening' my wife has planned. I wanted something to quell my thirst and remembered i had a couple of bottles of this awaiting to be opened.

Poured into a Veltins glass (two and a half times), it looked good, a full golden straw blonde in colour, with a smooth white head, the head soon disappeared to leave a thin collar round the glass.

Smells of dry straw, but not enough to trouble hay fever sufferers, a slight yeast and hop aroma also, but only if I am being kind.

Very refreashing, dry, yet a bit sweet, a good example of a German Pilsner.

Most lagers/pilsners have very little aftertaste to me, this is as good as I've had, but it might be down to the thirst I had when drinking this beer.

I liked this beer, pilsner is not my prefered beer when at home, or when out in the UK, but this was most enjoyable and just what I needed after some manual work. I would have no problems putting this in my supermarket trolley again.

BlackHaddock, Mar 25, 2007

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and decent lacing.

The smell featured an assertive noble hop spice and soft doughy grain.

The taste was upfront earthy noble hop spice with a secondary grainy malt.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style with good carbonation and crispness.

Overall a very tasty pils. This beer is especially noteworthy as it is what my father drank while in the service in Mannheim. I have heard about this beer my entire life, and am finally glad to have tried it.

plaid75, Jun 23, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

billblakeslee, Nov 18, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

This is my local brewery's specialty. Being located 6 miles away from the brewery, I'd venture to say I've got a fresher batch than one would find in the States. Enough basking in my joy and let's break this brew down.

First off, this brew is a picture perfect pour for a German Pilsner. Ultra clear and golden body, with a brilliant white head. Retention lasts for a few minutes and diminishes into clumpy lacing.

The overall taste and aroma are finely balanced. There is a lemony hops character, but quickly countered with a sweet finish. I am hooked on this beer, and I cant emphasize the quality of this product.

This is the best German Pilsner I've ever had!

TheSarge, Jul 30, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Carbonated, straw yellow...no head or lacing (a little boring really)
Aroma definately had some citrusy lemon hops & yeast.
Taste was the best (as it should b)...some bready malts up front & (typical of a Pils) the hop bitterness to finish, & a little dry.
I found this to be very light over the tongue & alive.
An easy light feel makes this quite a good drinkable pils.

WHROO, Sep 29, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

11.2 ounce green bottle.

As I pop it open there is no skunk phew, it is a fresh, well-kept bottle. I only have a single bottle, I am not sure if there is paper over the 12 packs.

The appearance is classic German pils, it is a pale but also well colored gold with a big foamy white head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is a balance of malt and hops. The hops have a slight citrus hint to them which is odd, and also the typical herbal noble hop character. The hops aren't pungent but they seem more noticeable in this beer than most of this style.

The taste is mellow, the malt is very mellow and the hops are slightly bitter and herbal. It is a satisfying German Pils.

The mouthfeel could be better. The drinkability is high. There are other German Pilseners that I like better but this is worth a try, if only I had the proper glassware.

crossovert, Feb 26, 2010
3.36/5  rDev -3.7%

Half litre can. 11 months before sell by date (doing well there).
Poured twice in a third of a litre stange glass.

Big frothy head, loads o' lacing.
Smell is pleasant, more malty than usual for a pils.
First taste is oddly empty. Second mouthful I can taste it: not much pils bitterness, but the dry citrusy hops are there - nicely balanced and balancing with a light malt sweetness.
After-taste is unhappy - initially simply weak - it's not really bad at any stage, but it's like empty again, with hints of cardboard and sometimes something else I cant quite put my finger on... some type of cheap pickle... FWIW I havent eat any pickles lately (and rarely do).

This is a light beer: tastewise, mouthfeel, and alcohol-wise (4.8%). It is quite tasty (while drinking) - and goes down easy. Would probably be good on a hot sunny day, it's alomst got something lemonadey about it - but I'd like a little more character here myself of a cool spring evening - and a better after-taste :-/

Tomais, Mar 14, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a half-liter can, this beer is a pleasant gold color (with slightly deeper hues than expected) with a bright white head. The foam isn't as long-lasting as it could be, but it's an appropriately good-looking. Spicy, peppery hop aroma that's a little disappointing due to it's faintness. Still, it's present, and balanced with a modest pils malt smell. Not bad. The taste is crisp and clean. Strong hop bitterness throughout the taste, along with a little breadyness. Light to light-medium in body. The flavors and aromas of the beer could be a lot more intense, but this is essentially spot-on for the style. It's a clean, tasty, and refreshing pilsner.

Suds, Jan 03, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

a- bottle poured into a tasting glass, one finger of head fades to nice lacing, straw coloring.

s- some grass, nice light coloring, citric, some malt upfront, slightly tart.

t- suprisingly great pils here, light, citric, some grass, slight grain.

m- smooth, light, creamy even.

d- great, this is an easy drinker for sure, and really reasonably priced (19.99), i would pick up a case of this for easy drinking at a party.

thecarster1, Oct 09, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass at low altitude. Didn't expect to see so few reviews to date for this one...

A: Pours a very clear golden color with a finger of stark white head.

S: Note too strong overall, but some fruity and grainy notes come through to me.

T: Grassy and grainy with some hints of caramel and fruity notes. Again, not very strong, but not unpleasant by any means.

M: Light with a bit of carbonation. Just what you'd expect after looking at it.

D: Considering how few reviews this one has so far, I would say it's certainly not worth going out of your way to get. However, it's definitely drinkable.

schlimenhaumer, Oct 20, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Pored from the half liter can into a large mug. The beer is a crystal clear bright gold color and is topped with a sizeable and sudsy pure white head that lasts for about a minute and sticks on the glass...

Smell: Nice bright aroma, clean with faint hints of bread. Slight hoppiness throughout as well. Dominating characteristic is a slightly sweet grassiness.

Taste: Nice fresh, balanced beer, but very tasty. Super smooth throughout with an ever-present but not dominating maltiness that is nice. Hop character is nice but not in your face.

Just what you want on a warm day or when you want something you're not going to have to think about, but still has taste. Scary drinkable. Solid pils all around.

BucBasil, Oct 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a pilsner glass this brew appears a perfectly clear, very light yellow color with a finger of fizzy white head that displays decent retension. While receeding it leaves some spotty lace about the glass. A constant stream of bubbles rush to the surface supporting the head.

The aroma of this brew is herbal hops upfront with an underlying amount of cereal or biscuit-like grainy character before more hops come back into the nose. Pretty basic plisner smell, not outstanding but not bad at all either.

Taste is bitter upfront in an herbal sort of way with a bit of plain grainy cereal-like sweetness throughout the light body. Finishes quite crisp and refreshing with more herbal hops in the back. Well balanced with a lingering taste that mingles both the bitterness of the hops and grainy sweetness. The light body, modest amount of carbonation and easy drinkability make this one easily sessionable and a nice change of pace for me lately, I enjoyed it. For under 5% abv the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

stakem, Aug 04, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Faintly hazy medium gold with a medium size short lasting yellow white head. Grassy straw, faint sour, stale bitter hops aroma. Medium thin body. Light malt and a medium bitter hop flavor. A touch sweeter and maltier in the finish and aftertaste. Very average.

stoutman, Dec 19, 2003

clarknova, May 29, 2013

Gregwa, Dec 16, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Shandycan, Jul 21, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Pog-Mo-Thoin, Dec 24, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Clear bright yellow gold with a huge 4 finger thick creamy white head. Nice lacing.

S: Classic mild skunk, as green bottle beers usually are. Some grain.

T: Real light grain, malts, wheat? So light and subtle that nothing really stands out and demands attention.

M: With such a big head, I had hoped for a little more substance, but it appears all of the carbonation left it upon pouring. It was a little watery.

O: Very drinkable light beer. I love this style but I'd like to feel at least just a little carbonation.

bluHatter, Feb 16, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

This one wasn't all that...Medium golden when poured, I ended up with a one inch frothy head on top. I detected very faint green hoppy notes in the aroma. Unfortunately, I thought the taste was rather watery, with just some grassy notes in the finish. Maybe a beer for grandmothers, the taste was not overwhelming. Uses hop extracts.

PatandDavid, Feb 27, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Sampled on-tap at Harveys in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.

This pils poured a clear, deep golden color with sudsy, white foam that settled. The smell was bready malt and was crisp and fresh. The taste was lightly bready malty with a touch of floral hops plus some nice hop bitterness and a light tanginess. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium-light body and moderate carbonation. A mildly hoppy aftertaste lingered. This was an OK, decent pils.

UncleJimbo, Feb 25, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Basic beer. Not too bad, nothing special. Served with a large, foamy, frothy white head and good lace. Color is amber. Aroma is again basic beer with malt and a little hop. Flavor's about the same with good balance between sweet and bitter. Body's ok and so is carbonation. Finish is clean and decent. Could be a session.

drpimento, Jan 20, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -45.6%

So we have another German Pilsner. I'm still amazed that there are so many of these. I'm still unable to get passed the grassy flavor of these. I just which they'd add something else to mute that flavor down a bit. Then again that would change the style and it wouldn't be a pils anymore. Anyhow this brew is clear yellow with an earthy natural aroma and taste. The style just isn't for me.

Knapp85, Mar 25, 2011