Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ettaler Kloster Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Ettal / Ettaler Klosterbetriebe GmbH

Ettaler Kloster DunkelEttaler Kloster Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Ettal / Ettaler Klosterbetriebe GmbH visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-10-2005

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. Pours brown with a small little head. The head stayed with MY beer the whole time, with some minor lacing.

I didn't smell a lot here, maybe some slight malts, but maybe it was just hope.

The taste was just eh, not what I was expecting, but this is my first dunkel (yeah i know wow) A malty, not so much sweet like others are saying, and a hint of hop taste to it. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium bit of carbonation.

Was kinda disappointed with this beer, doubtful I'll be back for this one, but I'm not giving up on the style. (592 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

A- A red amber color with 1-finger tan head and good retention. Head leaves little lacing.

S-A somewhat fruity, yeasty nose vaguely reminiscent of other monastic brews.

T-Fruity yeast taste along with a nutty, caramel-toffee taste, which comes to the forefront as the beer warms.

M-Smooth in the mouth with good carbonation, but not too much. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste which coats the mouth.

D-This is where the beer really shines. A true session beer. (459 characters)

This .5l bottle of Ettaler Kloster Dunkel had a born on (I hope) date of 10.10.05 on it and poured a crystal clear deep reddish brown. It had a thin white head, which dissipated slowly and left no lacing. Tiny bubbles evolved continuously from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was a fine blend of sweet toasty malt and alcohol with a hint of molasses… I was surprised to find that the aroma was quite bock-like.

The Flavor was dominated by clean sweet toasty malt in the beginning. Kloster Dunkel had a relatively low and nicely balanced hop bitterness with a slight degree of hop spice evident in the background flavor which was quite pleasant. Alcohol flavors were also noticeable and reminiscent, once again, of bock bier. A late earthy toastiness , which I can only describe as Munich malt flavor lingers pleasantly.

Kloster Dunkel has a medium body… it is sweet but not syrupy, that is to say it has a lighter mouth coat. It also has a light, but noticeable carbon dioxide bite.

Ettaler Kloster Dunkel is a great beer… if you can find it. I was pleasantly surprised to find it at one of the better liquor stores in my area, as I had never expected to see it again after my visit to Kloster Ettal a year and a half ago. If you like malty, sweet, clean lagers you’ll definitely like Ettaler Kloster Dunkel. (1,330 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

I'm a big fan of German beers, and probably drink more wheat than anything. Two trips to Germany helped solidify my craving for the great Deutsch brews. Above all, my favorite style is the Dunkel. For some reason, the Dunkel style is hard to find, even in the best American specialty stores.

I spotted this in my local store (Brawley's) and gave it a whirl. It poured with a little head, showing that it wasn't overly carbonated. The aroma immediately gave me hints of chocolate, some toasting, and a little floral tones. It had a great malty taste right away on the palate, a little nutty and with a nice chocolate finish. In the aftertaste, you get some of the hops, but a good continuing malty flavor. So smooth. When in Germany, I had the pleasure of going to Kloister Andechs. That was probably my favorite Dunkel of all, but this Ettaler stacks up nicely. If you find it, definitely pick one or ten of them up. (920 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.5%

Dark brown/amber color with 1 finger tan head and moderate head and lacing. Nice smell with complex notes to it of fig and plum and roasted chocolate. Roasted coffee with a chocolate finish. Well balance of smooth malt with a hop tickle. Smooth medium-full body that retains throughout. Very drinkable for a dark. (313 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately I'm still getting over a small cold, so I'm not sure I can properly comment. I only got one bottle from my local shop, just to try it on a whim (having not looked it up before I bought it,) and found it to be enjoyable--so I'll certainly buy it again and give it a better review.
In brief:
Nice, dark, nearly opaque brownish-black appearance.
Had to pour kind of hard the last half of the bottle to get a good head on it, which didn't last long and didn't lace, but what was there was a nice tan color.
As for aroma and taste, I can't guarantee my senses aren't a little off, but I detected a slight sour smell, and something woody. Odd, maybe a chocolate plumb. Not at all unpleasant, and the slight sour note did not last long nor was too prominent.
Not too hoppy, either. I prefer a rich, roasted hop in a beer as dark as this, but that's not the fault of the beer that it didn't have it, just my expectations. It had a good mouthfeel. A little light, but no oily film feeling or back of the palate linger I usually seem to have when there's a slight sourness.
No, this was a fine beer, and I could tell there's a slightly richer complexity to it that I just was not in the best state to appreciate. (1,222 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Trying to explore more German beers, so I picked one that others had obviously purchased. Fact that it was only $2.75 didn't hurt either. Got at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan.

A- Dark red, clean and fortified-looking -- very inviting. One finger of attractive white foam peaced out quickly.

S- Not very powerful: malts with a bit of spice. A tad yeasty, a little bite, some sweetness, molasses maybe.

T- Taste also lacks intensity. Pretty light -- some Munich malts with their distinct muskiness and richness, which is good stuff. More stuff emerging now ... a little nuttiness, a hint of sweetness. Finishes cleanly, not much aftertaste.

M- Got some fizziness, but it's crisp and refreshing ... obviously made with real ingredients, vs. the "crisp and refreshing" of Bud. I viscerally think of drinking this on a summer afternoon. It's got some body too, a little thickness with is nice.

D- A more than decent offering. As I mentioned, would be good in summer. Could use some more punch I think. I might buy it again, but there are so many other Germans to try.

[As I edit this -- the more I drink it, the more I like it. Still not above good, but enough to bump the score. Solid option.] (1,213 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

When I poured the Kloster Dunkel from the bottle into my Aventinus weizenbock glass it poured a clear light brown with a reddish hue. There was a slight head that quickly dissipated with a slight lacing on the glass. I took a good sniff and smelled roasted malts and some burnt chocolate. When I took that first mouthful the taste was pretty much like it smelled, roasted malts, a little bready with a burnt chocolate taste. The mouthfeel is a medium feel, a little thinner than some of the dunkels, but not light on taste. Not an abundance of carbonation. Also there isn’t a hint of alcohol. This Dunkel is a nice easy drinking Dunkel. I could have drank a bunch of these for sure. The taste is very nice with a sweeter taste. I highly recommend this if you haven’t had it by now! (785 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

This is my first beer of this style so please take that into consideration.

Appearance - No head or lacing (unless I poured it wrong?). It has a dark amber look to it.

Smell - Kinda sweet, malty, a little fruity and pleasing

Taste - Sweet and malty with hints of bitterness throughout. It taste good and clean and goes down easy. Has a bit of quality to it.

Mouthfeel - Not enough carbonization for my taste unless again, I didn't pour it right or I got a flat bottle.

Drinkability - Very drinkable but again, I would enjoy it more if it had a little more carbonization.

This would be a great choice for people who like the Belgium style or dopplebocks. Paid about 3 bucks for a bottle at Magnolia here in Lynchburg, VA. It is almost worth it...almost. I do like the big bottle so maybe I got a little more beer, but I still don't think I quite got my moneys worth, unless I got a bad bottle. (898 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 1 pint .9oz bottle.

Appearance: a nice dark chocolatly color, not quite as dark as guiness, but, pretty close.

Smell: Very nice, smells of a choclate/ carmel beer, hardly any or no hop smell at all.

Taste: Carmel and sugar taste are there, but not overwhelming, as well as a slight hint of hops on the way down. Leaves a slightly less strong after taste than one would think.

Mouthfeel: a pleasent feel in the mouth, not too much carbonation, but, just enough to let you enjoy the beer, goes down with a smooth finish.

Drinkabilty: very high for me, i've almost finished the entire bottle just writting the review, had to pace myself.

A very good beer for only $2.99 a pint. (724 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14.5%

On tap at the bavarian lodge in lisle Il

A : clear with a cherry cola hue. Bubbles nucleating in thetwenty oz mug and rising beautifully to the two finger yellow white head.

S: very maplelike strong, touch of brown sugar like air. Obvious use of roasted and.caramel malts.

T: pleasing roasted flavor. Maple and brown sugar again. Very similar to the aroma. No alcohol

M: thin for the style but in a good way. Accompanied by a moderate plus amount of carbonation that puts a little bit of bite on the tongue in just the right way.

O: blew me away. One of the best funnels I've had in some time. I'm a sucker for roasted tastes and biting carbonation and this shot right for it. A good session beer that one could have three plus of (740 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Great dunkel in my opinion. Not too pricey for the delicious taste of this brew. I am no pro with beer tasting but with dunkels I get this almost banana like taste and this one delivers in that respect. Sugary and smooth. Highly recommended by this nobody. (256 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Ettaler Kloster Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Ettal / Ettaler Klosterbetriebe GmbH