Mint IPA - No Label Brewing Company

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 07-10-2012

Reviews by Davidmor:

3.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a snifter. The brew appears a clear copper color with a yellowish stained head a finger strong that holds well. A full wall of lace sticks to the glass.

The smell is quite herbal with hops contrasted by a caramel grain backing. A bit of solvent alcohol is also noted. No real mint aspect protrudes beyond the typical herbal component of the hops.

The taste is quite bitter. Some herbal and sulfuric character blends in with a carbonic bite. Some neutral solvent alvohol is quite apparent with an added tannic bitterness that is bitey and drying on the tongue.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is quite bitter almost to fault with very warming alcohol. I dont get much mint flavor but its more like an added/accenting bitterness. Was cool to say I tried it but I doubt this is something I would revisit.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap at The Holy Grail. The beer pours a hazy golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of pine and pineapple, with a hint of biscuit malt. The flavor is very similar. The pine and orange citrus notes stand out. There is a good amount of bitterness. I get a very light mint aftertaste but I doubt I would get it if I wasn’t looking for it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A good IPA, but definitely lacking in the mint character.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

2.05/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours out a murky apricot. Very little head. Aroma is quite faint for an IPA. Some citrus in the nose, but wow, really faint. Mint? Don't get any. Flavor is just muddy. Muddy bitterness. Hop flavor is the opposite of bright (muddy again??). Just a weird, flat bitterness. Fairly sweet up front, but dries up in the back. Mouthfeel is severely lacking in carbonation. A bit slick and fluffy at the same time. Kind of numbs my tongue. Weird. This reminds me of someone's mediocre attempt at homebrew. No Label through and through.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle pours a sickening opaque light brown color with a modest cap of off-white head. This beer is so cloudy, I cant even see my fingers behind the glass - not very cool.

Nose is definitely minty - more spearmint than peppermint. I really dont get much else to be honest. The mint does smell natural, fragrant and good.

Taste is minty as well and actually plays pretty well with the hops, which come on pretty full force after the initial mint blast. Malts are substantial (toffee, light toast and mild caramel) but dont impede the mint and hops. I cant believe the ABV is 8%, the beer integrates it well. Despite my initial misgivings on a Mint IPA and the sordid appearance, I am enjoying the flavor of this well enough. I would probably even go so far as to say this is the best beer I have had from No Label. I hadnt pulled the trigger on a six-pack purchase of this due to the previous offerings I have had from NL, picked this bottle up as a single. I think I would even buy a sixer of this, especially if I had a couple upcoming BIFs, this would be a fun beer to share with others.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Rocky white head sits atop a burnt orange body. Calling this beer murky would be an understatement. Smells of piney hops, toasted and honey malts, and a touch of spearmint. The mint comes off more as an essence than what is billed as the star of the show.

Pine and citrus hops are present, but this is very much a malt forward IPA. Some honey. By the end everything kind of blends together into something indiscernible, but there is a pleasant lingering bitterness. The mint is so subtle I could be imagining it. I guess this is medium-bodied, but there is something hard to drink about it. Mild carbonation. Sitting kind of heavy.

Mint IPA from No Label Brewing Company