Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale - Three Heads Brewing

Loopy Oatmeal Red AleLoopy Oatmeal Red Ale

Three Heads Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.60% ABV

We love hops! Their tantalizing aromas. Their diverse and succulent flavors of citrus and spice. All the amazing ways they can be used in brewing. 3HB dedicates the Loopy to our favorite plant, the Humulus Lupulus. Enjoy the waves of tropical fruit intertwined delightfully with a creamy, velvety malt blend. Come get Loopy with us! 64 IBUs.

(Beer added by: John on 01-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale Alström Bros

timmy2b, Jul 30, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle (no dating) served in a standard pint glass.

L - murky brown with a thin beige head that thinned to a ring in a minute or two.

S - aspirin and dirt.

T - I never ate dirt but it did taste kind of like a orange flavored baby aspirin.

F - medium bodied with a flat feel.

O - I don't know how old the bottle I had was but what I had wasn't a very good beer.

I'll change my review if I get a fresh sample.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 28, 2012

kaelingirl, Jan 22, 2012

akttr, Oct 23, 2013

RussBecker1, Jul 25, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into large tulip.

This is a dark amber beer that almost gushes out of the bottle. Hard to pour due to an excessive head. You have to pour a couple ounces of beer and the foam fills the rest of the glass, let it rest then pour a little more, etc

Aroma is of sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, and slight resiny and piney hops.

Taste is a little confusing and there was some astringency. Sweet caramel and hoppy bitterness, but in a weird balance that I couldn't quite pin down. Not bad, but not great.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth but highly carbonated.

Overall, this was an OK beer, but hard to figure out what they were going for. Not sure I'll try it again.

FFreak, Aug 03, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

$3 single. I didn't care for their Rochestaferian, but got this one at the same time I bought that one. Hopefully this one is better.

Appearance: Slowest pour ever, and I got a head that wouldn't quit. I wound up losing about 3 ounces of beer due to an insane amount of foam on this beer. I had to scoop it out with a spoon. Ridiculous. It looks good otherwise -- hazy orange/brown color with an insane amount of carbonation and a few floaters.

Smell: Smells exactly like a beer I've had before, but I can't remember just which one. I think it was one by Sierra Nevada. Really earthy and spicy sort of aroma on this with citrus undertones.

Taste/feel: I'm wondering why I'm reviewing this beer, as I feel like it's pretty obvious this beer had some issues during fermentation. Incredibly prickly carbonation at first with a bit of heft, which is alright. Then there's a weird copper sort of bitterness vibe with the super drying hop flavor that certainly has to be off... I'm not experiencing what other reviewers are. The carbonation is like a pop, the bitterness is, again, metallic or something along those lines (not a pleasant bitterness), and it lingers and lingers. The flavor I'm getting aside from that is pretty decent with the "red" flavors and earthy hops... it tastes like the smell, but the carbonation is out of control, but the harsh bitterness and occasional "off" sips makes this one that's evidently infected.

I hope I can get another non-infected bottle to try soon, because I don't like reviewing beers that are obviously infected, but I like to keep note. In spite of the infection, it tastes better than a number of beers I've had before... isn't that sad?

Alextricity, May 10, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Slightly hazy brown with a hint of orange. Very thin white head, minimal lacing. Some minor carbonation bubbles in the center.

S: Some earthy hop scents, pine resin, and a hint of citrus.

T: At first I get rich pine flavors and frontal bitterness.Some bread crust in the back of the palate. Not as much malt flavor as I'd like from an American Amber. This beer is very hop forward, but neglects to push the malt flavor along with the hops.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. There's a bitter bite, but it's not abrasive. It feels like there's enough carbonation to keep flavors moving along the palate.

O: Overall I felt like it was a rather mediocre beer. For hop lovers, I feel that they would enjoy this beer. It has a wealth of hop flavor, and to the beer's credit the label does emphasize this. For amber lovers or beer lovers who enjoy a little more malt flavor, I feel they would feel et down. On a side note, I'm not sure what was gained from the oatmeal in this beer. It didn't taste exceptionally smooth.

teromous, Jun 08, 2013

woodchipper, Jul 10, 2014

NJBeer265, Jun 04, 2014

VaporDome, Apr 11, 2014

qchic, Jul 23, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass...

A: Pours a super dark red hue, almost brown, with about two fingers of off white head. The foam wants to stick around forever. There is some nice lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer definitely smells hoppy. I'm getting mainly citrus notes. There is also a a musky earthiness to this beer from the oatmeal. It reminds me a bit of Grand Teton's Pursuit of Hoppiness. With all that being said, there is still something off about the nose. I just can't place it.

T: It starts off with a quick hit of citrus, but the oatmeal sweetness and spice come on immediately after. The finish is a mix of spice and bitter citrus notes. It's a weird transition, and I'm not so sure that I like it. The hops are subdued quite a bit by the strong malt backbone.

M: Medium bodied beer. It goes down smooth without much palate destruction. There are some lingering bitters in between sips.

O: I'm just confused by this beer. Why make a beer named after the hop plant and muddle it down with oatmeal? I feel like some of the nice hop aromas don't follow through into the taste. The mouthfeel is nice, but the flavor transitions just aren't working for me. I probably won't be buying this again.

trxxpaxxs, Feb 16, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Quick head, but a half circle film o' foam ratians. Decent bubbling, but nice ruby and copper color.

Sweet, fruity yeast/malt mix in the forefront of the nose. Add to the softer fruitiness some bitter orange peel and tropical fruit aromas.

Nice bitter tropical fruitiness and te oatmeal and toasted barley malt add a sweet bread flavor to this bittersweet fruity, hoppy brew. The finish is almost tinny in its citric zest bitterness. Palate is chewy, metallic, and bitter. This beer is worth a try. Very interesting.

scruffwhor, Jun 02, 2012
3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque copper colored body topped by a creamy khaki head. Excellent head retention and lacing.
S: Caramel, oatmeal grain & floral nose.
T: Bread, oatmeal flavors end with a nice hoppy bitterness.
M: Smooth, creamy and balanced brew. Very drinkable.
O: A quite enjoyable beer that is equal parts hops and malt.

Paincane, Jul 04, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Pours a brownish red with a nice cap of spongy off-white foam. Pretty good lacing and retention. Looks like a red should.

S: Nice hoppiness in the aroma. Sweet orange, sourish grapefruit, and a big dose of caramel malts behind.

T: Mellow piney and citrus hop fades into relatively strong red and caramel malts. Bit of a tangy lactic element as well. Mild acrid bitterness and a bit of toffee in the finish.

M: Nice thickness to the mouthfeel because of the oats, but way too undercarbonated. A bit of carbonation, but not nearly enough.

O: Much mellower in the hop dimension that the more well-known hoppy red ales. The mouthfeel also suffers from the lack of carbonation. Not bad, but not very good either.

Etan, Apr 08, 2012

lostandwandering, Mar 03, 2014

Swift989, Jun 21, 2013

Amalak, Jun 23, 2012

C-Dog, Jan 31, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I bought a bottle of this at my local bottle shop on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Pretty good amber ale from a brewery that I had never heard of.

Pours an expected amber/red color, somewhat fizzy but clean looking.

Pretty well balanced aroma of hops, malt and yeast. Very much like the better beers in the style.

Flavor was also good and typical for the style. Well crafted and easy to drink.

david18, Jun 26, 2012