Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale - Three Heads Brewing

Three Heads Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: John on 01-10-2012

We love hops! Their tantalizing aromas. Their diverse and succulent flavors of citrus and spice. All the amazing ways they can be used in brewing. 3HB dedicates the Loopy to our favorite plant, the Humulus Lupulus. Enjoy the waves of tropical fruit intertwined delightfully with a creamy, velvety malt blend. Come get Loopy with us! 64 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into large tulip.

This is a dark amber beer that almost gushes out of the bottle. Hard to pour due to an excessive head. You have to pour a couple ounces of beer and the foam fills the rest of the glass, let it rest then pour a little more, etc

Aroma is of sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, and slight resiny and piney hops.

Taste is a little confusing and there was some astringency. Sweet caramel and hoppy bitterness, but in a weird balance that I couldn't quite pin down. Not bad, but not great.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth but highly carbonated.

Overall, this was an OK beer, but hard to figure out what they were going for. Not sure I'll try it again.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque copper colored body topped by a creamy khaki head. Excellent head retention and lacing.
S: Caramel, oatmeal grain & floral nose.
T: Bread, oatmeal flavors end with a nice hoppy bitterness.
M: Smooth, creamy and balanced brew. Very drinkable.
O: A quite enjoyable beer that is equal parts hops and malt.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

$3 single. I didn't care for their Rochestaferian, but got this one at the same time I bought that one. Hopefully this one is better.

Appearance: Slowest pour ever, and I got a head that wouldn't quit. I wound up losing about 3 ounces of beer due to an insane amount of foam on this beer. I had to scoop it out with a spoon. Ridiculous. It looks good otherwise -- hazy orange/brown color with an insane amount of carbonation and a few floaters.

Smell: Smells exactly like a beer I've had before, but I can't remember just which one. I think it was one by Sierra Nevada. Really earthy and spicy sort of aroma on this with citrus undertones.

Taste/feel: I'm wondering why I'm reviewing this beer, as I feel like it's pretty obvious this beer had some issues during fermentation. Incredibly prickly carbonation at first with a bit of heft, which is alright. Then there's a weird copper sort of bitterness vibe with the super drying hop flavor that certainly has to be off... I'm not experiencing what other reviewers are. The carbonation is like a pop, the bitterness is, again, metallic or something along those lines (not a pleasant bitterness), and it lingers and lingers. The flavor I'm getting aside from that is pretty decent with the "red" flavors and earthy hops... it tastes like the smell, but the carbonation is out of control, but the harsh bitterness and occasional "off" sips makes this one that's evidently infected.

I hope I can get another non-infected bottle to try soon, because I don't like reviewing beers that are obviously infected, but I like to keep note. In spite of the infection, it tastes better than a number of beers I've had before... isn't that sad?

Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale from Three Heads Brewing