Rochestafarian Wee Heavy Ale - Three Heads Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by thecheapies:
3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark brick red, or maybe just a warm brown, in color with lots of haze. Head is small and pooped out.

Roasted malts, strange berry, and meatiness. Not overwhelmingly so. Some dark caramel.

Thinner in flavor. Still has that nice roasty toffee malt with a touch of meat char. Not smoky, just savory. Fruitiness dies a bit, but still offers browned apple, currant, and something redder. Some near tartness that is discoverable. Attenuation is an offense, but the booze doesn't just spill out. Well-contained. Likeable.

Feels thin without the necessary carbonation, which is way too weak. Alcohol is well hidden. Body feels medium. Not very easy.

I still like how this came out, in principle. Otherwise, there are many other better options.

3.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #79 (Aug 2013):

Not half bad. We expect a bit more depth here with it being a Wee Heavy; all but the maltiness stays pretty simple. Still put together well and balanced for the style, just does not have that wow factor.

STYLE: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy
ABV: 7.0%
AVAILABILITY: Rotating

LOOK: Deep reddish hue, decent froth

SMELL: Loaf of bread, fresh graininess, herbal, spicy, hint of alcohol, pears, very malty

TASTE: Slight smoothness; creamy, full-ish body; malt forward, balancing hop bitterness, toasted bread crust, faint herbal tone; clean, alcoholic warmth; husky, drying finish

4.08/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into thistle glass. Deep amber orange with minimal white head that doesn't last. Smells wide and malty, boozy and yeasty. Tastes a little odd compared to others of this style I've had, but sounds spot on to the description...sweet at first, but seems to have a hole in the middle of the flavor. Clean through the middle, with a slightly cloying finish with aftertastes of yeast. Tasty and drinkable though. Mouthfeel is full, alcohol not noticeable in the taste except a slight warming long after swallowing.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

Bought this in a Wegmans craft pack, otherwise I would have been too deterred by the price to take the risk to try. Beautiful dark red color. Not much head with barren lacing. From some of the reviews I read about this, I was expecting something watery and bland. I was pleasantly surprised. Smell isn't very strong. My wife said it smells like rabbit food. Definitely has the caramel malty taste I look for when choosing my brews. Has a bit of an earthy aroma to it. Alcohol content is very well masked. Smooth taste but could use a little more carbonation, if I'm being picky. This is my first Wee Heavy and again from what I've read, I'm not going to let it define the style for me. However, not a bad introduction. I would get this one again.

3.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a copper/amber color with slightly less than a fingers worth of head that fades to nothing

S: Sweet malts at the front, along with a light fruitiness. Almost like candied fruity hops. A hint of alcohol as well

T: Starts off sweet and malty with a hint of fruitiness and bitterness. Lightly earthy into the finish, with more of the candied hops thing going on

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A decent wee heavy, with the expected overload of malts and light sweetness. Fairly easy to drink at 7%. Definitely has an American feel to it with the bitterness, even though it isn't all that much. Worth a shot

2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

Watery, weird strawberry flavor. Totally out of balance, so that the end tastes...empty.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love the label and I like the beer. The body is a bit thin for the style, the whole thing is really light for what it is, but the flavors are on point. Earthy sweet malt, roast, dark chocolate, oak, tree bark, peat, smoke, and minerals. The only issue is the body, it's not watery but it is definitely light. The sweetness then doesn't have enough to cling to for me, so it finishes weird, but the touch of smoke and wood is very solid here. It works in fall weather, but may be a little too delicate for deep winter satisfaction. Still, I like the beer and I am impressed with what I've had from these guys so far. All of it has been tasty!

to view more.