Cantankerous Dockhand - Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 06-11-2011)
Getalegup

08-19-2014 18:31:26 | More by Getalegup
WillGrafe

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Too spicy for my taste. It is well made, but the pepper taste is overwhelming or should I say underwhelmingly out of balance. I love the other Dockhands I've tried, but this one has left me with a dry sour aftertaste. If you love peppery beer this ones for you, otherwise I'd stick with Blackstar's Recalcitrant Dockhand.

12-08-2013 05:20:01 | More by WillGrafe

Oklahoma

02-14-2013 04:50:54 | More by lokieman
UTCengOwl

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Love Black Star Co-op. They always have good food and a great local rotating set of beers. I haven't been all that impressed with the house beers yet, but this was better than I've had there before... and by a big margin. Served in a mini-snifter.

The beer is black, but it doesn't have much visual character beyond that. The head is nice, but not beyond my expectations. A lighter color than I would have expected from the base. Pretty standard for a big porter... which is to say that it was good.

The nose is predominantly dry, dark baking chocolate at low temperatures. Smelling this almost drys out my mouth. There's a smoky pepper flavor behind that that grows as the beer warms. It's interesting, but never achieves the balance I desire.

The first gulp of this was one of the most balanced, complex gulps I've ever had. A dry, chocolatey, dark porter mixing with 2 or 3 different smoky, earthy peppers that die off just before the aftertaste comes on. Damn, that's interesting and good. The beer shifts more towards the peppers as it warms. If I could keep this stuff cold, I'd mainline it. One of the most fulfilling gulps I've had.

This was a highly interesting and fulfilling beer... for a while. However, once it loses peak temperature, it loses balance and complexity. Highly recommended to try at least once.

06-11-2011 01:31:47 | More by UTCengOwl
Cantankerous Dockhand from Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.