Cantankerous Dockhand - Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery

Texas, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 06-11-2011

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled on cask at BS. The cask apparently has serrano and cayenne pepper on top of the ancho and guajillo peppers used in the standard (if the word can be used here) cantankerous. Pours as black as it gets with a nice fine head. Despite being on nitro the head dissipates to just a skim after a few sips. Nose is very vegetal with a bit of chocolate. Taste is chocolate, smoke and chicory up front. The spicy peppery notes kick in on the back and while clearly spicy does not overwhelm the other flavors happening.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%

Too spicy for my taste. It is well made, but the pepper taste is overwhelming or should I say underwhelmingly out of balance. I love the other Dockhands I've tried, but this one has left me with a dry sour aftertaste. If you love peppery beer this ones for you, otherwise I'd stick with Blackstar's Recalcitrant Dockhand.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Love Black Star Co-op. They always have good food and a great local rotating set of beers. I haven't been all that impressed with the house beers yet, but this was better than I've had there before... and by a big margin. Served in a mini-snifter.

The beer is black, but it doesn't have much visual character beyond that. The head is nice, but not beyond my expectations. A lighter color than I would have expected from the base. Pretty standard for a big porter... which is to say that it was good.

The nose is predominantly dry, dark baking chocolate at low temperatures. Smelling this almost drys out my mouth. There's a smoky pepper flavor behind that that grows as the beer warms. It's interesting, but never achieves the balance I desire.

The first gulp of this was one of the most balanced, complex gulps I've ever had. A dry, chocolatey, dark porter mixing with 2 or 3 different smoky, earthy peppers that die off just before the aftertaste comes on. Damn, that's interesting and good. The beer shifts more towards the peppers as it warms. If I could keep this stuff cold, I'd mainline it. One of the most fulfilling gulps I've had.

This was a highly interesting and fulfilling beer... for a while. However, once it loses peak temperature, it loses balance and complexity. Highly recommended to try at least once.

Cantankerous Dockhand from Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.