Waterloo - Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery

Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  3.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 07-13-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

4.7/5  rDev +23%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

2.1/5  rDev -45%

I'm still wondering whether I was served a defective batch of this beer! I've loved every other Black Star beer I've tried, and was surprised and disappointed by this one. I actually had to return it for the Vulcan (delicious) because I couldn't handle more than a few sips.

The not-so-bad: The beer looked lovely, with a nice yellow hazy color like a hefeweizen and a thin bright white head. It also had good body, a very spritzy character that WOULD have been refreshing in a beer with better flavor.

The main problem was the smell. Whew! I smelled brettanomyces, and not in a good way. My companion likened it to "pure gym locker" and I agreed. I wondered how they could call a beer "refreshing" when it had such a stank untempered by other, better, smells. And the taste of this beer wasn't much better. I was looking to detect the peaches (of which there are apparently hundreds of lbs per batch), but couldn't taste anything like fresh stonefruit. The sour character of the beer was not the pleasant sourness of a Flemish ale, nor was it the bright cirtusy tartness that a lemony hefeweizen sometimes has. My immediate impression was, "this beer has gone bad," and after a couple more sips I returned it.

The barman didn't seem to think that the beer was off, so I guess this is how it's supposed to taste? I really, really hate to rag on Black Star, because aside from this beer I've always loved their house brews, but Waterloo is a real miss.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »