Wavehopper - Big Bay Brewing Co.

WavehopperWavehopper

Big Bay Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 12-14-2010

1.38/5  rDev -58.9%

I will admit up front that I am not a fan of kolsch as a style. Occasionally, I will find an excellent, delicate and flavorful kolsch that I will tolerate and enjoy. Tonight is not that night.

Wavehopper from Big Bay Brewing looks fine in the glass with a white head that falls with a nice lace over a slightly anemic looking yellow brew. Pungent nose has some of the classic kolsch characteristics, but overwhelmed by a sour apple and mineral wafting up. Just as watery in the mouth as it looks, the taste has a barely perceptible sweet malt and a sharp chalky flavor and unpleasant sourness.

In spite of my general beer optimism, I cannot find any redeeming characteristics in this brew. In a phrase, avoid this beer. Unfortunately, I didn't review Big Bay's Portside when I had it in March at Grumpy's in Minneapolis. My simple rating of Portside was much higher, which is what made me hopeful for Wavehopper. While it would take some convincing to get me to try Wavehopper again, my experience with Portside on tap will at least give me reason to try Big Bay again some day.

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

2.03/5  rDev -39.6%

This beer pours a slightly hazy golden color with large visible floaties. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is heavy on the butterscotch to such an extent that nothing else comes through. The taste is similar to the aroma, but not quite as strong. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a watery texture, and high carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty bad beer that I will not drink again.

2.14/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my La Chouffe tulip.

This beer pours a crystal clear straw with a massive 3 inch head that leaves a good amount of lacing. I'm surprised about how filtered this beer is. When I think of a Kölsch , I normally assume they are going to be a clear with just a hint of haze. This looks like its been filters 27 times. The aroma is weak. Its all encompassing cracker like malts. That's all. The flavor is just as weak. Lightly toasted crackers, almost like a unsalted saltine cracker with just a hint of artificial lemon. The mouthfeel is light and a little dry. Once again, it reminds me eating saltines. Overall, I'm just not impressed by this beer. Maybe, if you have a friend looking to get into beer and needs a gateway or like bland Americanized versions of German beers then this might be for you.

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a not-quite-clear, pale yellow color. Grows a mediocre, watery head that recedes rapidly.

Aroma is about what I'd expect with some mild graininess and a light fruity note, with some sulphury, skunk-like aromatics.

The flavor is somewhat muddled. Malty grain characteristics are evident with some unpleasant acetaldehyde and the finish is unrefined and un-balanced. The mouthfeel is a little thick, could use some more carbonation, and I think a bit more carbonic acid would help balance the finish as well, adding to the overall lack of bitterness.

I think this beer needs a little work, the basics are there, but my favorite kolsch's are a lot more crisp, refreshing with a semi-dry finish and a decent noble hop presence. This beer pretty much falls short on all counts.

And oh yeah, their logo looks like cock & balls. WTF!

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.79/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear pale yellow color. Some pure white froth with decent retention.

(S)- Light cereal and biscuit-like grains with hints at lemon and spice.

(T)- Quite sweet for the style with a big honey wheat sweetness going on. reminds me of buttered toast with honey. Very grainy.

(M)- Very light bodied but carries a rather potent sweetness for the style.

(O)- I actually quite like the flavor this has, that, and being lighter and crisp, but really very little about this reminds me of a kolsch.

3.09/5  rDev -8%

Reviewed from session notes.

Somewhat hazy golden straw color with a receding foam collar for a head, no real retention or lacing left behind. Smells of wheat malt mostly and has a touch of grassy herbal aroma. Taste is on the sweeter side for my personal preferences in a Kolsch, but not terribly much so. Tastes of perhaps a mixture of wheat and crystal malt sort of flavor, with a twist of lemon peel. The grassy herbals from the nose do not unfortunately make an appearance in the flavor. Body is on the thicker side of light-bodied, dries out somewhat in the finish but just barely misses the mark of being 'crisp' for me.

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Had a non-beer-crazy friend suggest Big Bay to me so. Despite his very suspect taste in beer, I'm always on the lookout for a good Kolsch, so here we are. 12 oz. bottle poured in preparation for a dinner of raspberry chicken & potatoes with Gruyere cheese. Mmmm.

Pour is...well, imagine all the carbonation in the world. It's now gone. Because it was all bottled up in this tiny little shard of glass. Three pours & five minutes to get the beer into a pint glass. It's yellowish with light-speed bubbling. Smells like a puff of air: not much coming off the surface. Faint grains & yeast if I really pull.

Wavehopper's first sip is promising. Then the aftertaste takes hold like The Claw. Clean, wheaty, & crisp on the front, yeasty in the middle, then an unpleasant...something on the back end. A little musty, almost, but not quite, like a hop twist that didn't quite make it. Overcarbed, seriously, but like any decent Kolsch, easy to down.

This is pretty close, honestly, to being very good. Instead, the carbonation & aftertaste drag this down into the mediocre range. Maybe a couple days old, super-fresh? Either way, decent enough beer. Off to my dinner.

3.16/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Transparent body with straw yellow color. Poured with a finger of head which settled in to a thin layer across the top while drinking. Active carbonation is on the lower side for the style.

Smell: Straw, honey, and dough on the front. Sweet biscuity malts are really potent on the body. Cereal and nutty finish fits well.

Taste: Dough and buttery malts on the front. Watery forgettable body. The finish is some earthy yeast and sprite fruits.

Mouthfeel: Drinkable almost to a fault. No notable lingering textures are left behind.

Overall: The aroma is no doubt the highlight. So disappointed the taste couldn't follow it up.

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with half inch of head that did not hang around for very long. The head settles to a thin cap. Surprisng amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass however.

Has a sweet, grainy aroma. There is a faint Noble hop aroma as well.

We have been getting dry, aggresively hopped Kolsch's lately, this is not one of those. This is a sweeter, milder version. Tastes more like a pilsner than an ale as in not having much of a yeast influence except for a touch of diacetyl.

Light body with nice carbonation.

Certainly respect the easy drinking and low ABV. I just prefer my Kolsch drier and more aggressively hopped.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Asked what it was--since I couldn't see it too good, in a glass case behind the bar. Barrtender said "Wavehopper." Knowing the mindset of upstart breweries as I do, and seeing the word "hopper" in there, I figured it was an A or IPA. But then, to make sure, I said "you know what kind of beer it is," and she said "it's like an ale, I think." So, okay, figured it was an APA, and since I already felt like a bit of nerdlinger for having asked so many questions, I didn't bother to read the bottle before pouring it into to the glass I had requested.

First sip, hated it. Expectations mean so much, don't they? If blindfold you and tell you get ready for an APA but then I pour you some New Glarus Belgian red, you'll probably be unhappy. And, well, Kolshes are just kinda weird, with their fizzy beginnings and ashen backends. You have to prepare yourself for them.

So I took a few more sips, began to tolerate and finally appreciate it. It's a solid Kolsch. It starts out with gentle nodes of lemon and biscuit malt, and finishes with some bittersweet nodes of ash and peat.

3.22/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz single, Why oh Why did i buy

appearance: served in a shaker pint, macro-clear straw body, light white film - rather unappealing

smell: light biscuit notes, light lemon peel, distant floral notes

taste: unsettling bittersweet finish - otherwise dry with lemon, dough, tea leaves. better than the amber, but neither are worth spending money on

mouthfeel: awkward finish - not crisp/fresh as it should be

drinkability: ok

Wavehopper from Big Bay Brewing Co.