Follow our progress ...

Awaiting 10 Reviews

The Bier Brewery
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by dmfrench on 11-03-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

An acrid, dry, solid but malt shy Oatmeal Stout
___

A: Opaque black body with a fleeting but regenerative and creamy 1.5 finger medium khaki head.

S: A pretty straightforward mix of dusty, earthy hops and burnt cocoa malt with undertones of cream and just a hint of fruit. A little on the acidic/astringent side, but definitely an oatmeal nose.

T: Quite acrid and dry. It's as though the malt flavors never quite touch down on the tongue but instead just ride above the heavy hops. I might think I was drinking an Irish Dry, though the distinct oat flavor is definitely there. Cocoa is present as well, but I'm looking for more.

M: High carbonation contributes to a very dry and not so creamy presentation. Body is a hair on the watery side.

O: A solid effort, but I'd like to see more real oat and malt flavor, which is what I'm looking for when I reach for an Oatmeal Stout.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

This growler was filled Friday, two days ago.

This beer is 6.6% and 18 ibu. It pours a full bodied dark chocolate brown in color with a light beige lacing around my snifter. It pours more full bodied than I expected. It smells of bitter chocolates and has a nice, dark malty finish. It is slightly toasty and exceptionally smooth. The flavors too are smooth and slightly toasty with a good amount of bitter chocolate. For the style it has great flavor. It drinks very, very smoothly and is medium in body. This is very drinkable and if I didn't know, I'd guess this was around 5%. This is a nice beer. It's worth a growler fill.

Oat Stout from The Bier Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.