Half Cycle IPA - Flat 12 Bierwerks

Half Cycle IPAHalf Cycle IPA

good

Flat 12 Bierwerks visit their website
Indiana, United States

(Beer added by: AaronHomoya on 12-30-2010)
Reviews by notalagerlugger:

Had on tap at old pro's table in Broad Ripple and I loved it. Went to brewey and got two growlers gave one to my hop head friend now we go every Friday for growlers.

A-good light amber color and head

S-citrus and pine

T-light on the malt so not to get in the way of the great hops. Some non hop heads may think it is too hoppy or unbalanced. I say if you want malt pick from the 1000's of way too malty beers. It is like the DIPA hop slam without the sweetness or high alcohol only 6% most hoppy beers are 9-11% that can take away flavor and smell with booziness. When I do beer tastings I start with the more malty IPA's the finish with this beer as my tastebuds get saturated.

M- good medium

D-at 6% pretty good drink with bold food

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Nice Golden brown color. Nice big head that lingers and nice carbonation
A:Great Hop Smell....
T:Citrus and Grassy....Creeps up on ya! And keeps coming! 100+ IBUs Very nice
M: Good...what you would expect from a 6%

Think I am gonna have another :) Cheers

on tap 09/13 @ Dicks Bodacious BBQ Downtown Indy.

Good head retention. White foam hangs around low around the edge.

Smells like a delicious lawnmower. Nice and hoppy. Very little malt smell.

T: Nice balance of bittering hops. Kind of surprised they were there,; the smell didn't tip me off at all. They didn't skimp of the $$$ when making this.

M: Good smoothness that you would expect from a decent Craft Brewer.

The first time I tried this beer, was on opening day of the Flat12 Brewery last year.

As I recall, the bittering hops have gotten slightly stronger, which I like, but everything else is the same. My taste buds may be off since I was eating BBQ though.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Nice amber/golden color. Smells very earthy to me. Lots of grass and hay, loads of hops, some citrus on the nose. Taste is very good. Very hoppy and earthy. Has a bitterness on the end of it that keeps me from being able to pound it. Mouthfeel was heavy for the ABV. Creamy, carbonated. A good sipping IPA IMO. Very impressed with my first experience with flat 12. This was my favorite IPA from an Indiana brewery not named 3 floyds. I really hope they bottle this bad boy.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a bowtie glass)
A- This beer pours a touch of haze to a orange body with a thin ring of white foam supported by a few big bubbles working to the surface.

S- The notes of light toasted malt have a mineral quality to them with some caramel sweetness growing in the finish. A faint hint of green hops come through as it warms.

T- The dandelion greens hop flavor is all bitterness from start to finish for the first few sips. The dandelion milk bitterness stains the tongue as it lingers after each sip. There are some British hop qualities that come through as it opens and some watery malt notes try to fight its way in but the bitterness just dominates.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a gentle carbonation in the finish.

O- The full bitterness dominates and stains the tongue with really no other hop character standing a chance. There are faint malt hints but they remain buried. This beer was all one sided with no other character and it was tough to get through the glass.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a hazy amber, with a thick 3-finger head. Attractive wall of lace.

Nose is pungent pine hops, with some tropical citrus. Very nice!

Taste is strong and bitter with assertive hopping and deep pine and citrus notes. With a big, bold, and sticky mouthfeel, this West coast style IPA finishes dry. Quite a surprise and an excellent IPA!

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

First off I wasn't impressed with this because it instantly smelled like marijuana to me!

A: A good looking amber golden

S: Weed! Smelled like very dank hops and weed. Which I didn't like at all to be honest.

T: Still had the week on my palate so it tasted like it as well...

M: Typical IPA mouthfeel with a clean finish but still had a lingering weed feel...

O: I'm sure pot smokers would love this but I didn't like it.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%