Bleeding Heart IPA - Flat 12 Bierwerks

Flat 12 Bierwerks visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: robboyd on 11-09-2011

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

From notes. Pretty much as described, Half Cycle plus blood orange juice. Aroma was rather dank and disappointing. Taste had the sweetness and orange overtones from the blood orange added to the bitter hops of Half Cycle. The flavors just didn't blend well for me.

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bleeding heart is so named because it contains a good punch of blood orange juice. I've had good blood orange hefes before, and Tyranena's Scurvy is a fine brew, so sure let's make this a thing.

But before we go further we should probably discuss the beer community's moronic disdain for non-sour fruit beers. Back when I first got into good beer, it was customary for brewpubs to offer at least one fruit-flavored beer. This was partially to make it so your wife would want to go, and also partially because brewing lighter flavored beers is very difficult and adding some blueberries to a shitty pils makes it much more palatable.

This, I think, is where the general aversion to fruit beers first took place. And it's just gotten worse lately, seeing as how nearly every person who gets into beer is a total asshole and as a community we devalue any beer that's not super rare and/or super intense. "What's that, bro? Shakespeare Stout? That's a shelf turd, bro. Only a newb would drink it. Someone with an advanced pallet like my own *only* drinks barely wines that've been aged on cedar coils."

Then there's Flat 12, a good brewer that makes *excellent* fruit offerings that go utterly ignored by BA. Their kiwi hefe is amazing, easily better than any Upland Lambic I've ever tried, but it was somewhat widely available and so the mutants who use this site were unimpressed by it.

Bleeding heart messes with this paradigm a bit, because it's very hoppy. That's enough to disarm the cretins. Instead of making a truly strange or innovative fruit beer, it's much safer to use fruit in a way that accentuates the neanderthal preferences of the beer community's pretentious denizens. Gives it a gory name, too, which for some reason equals street cred.

Flavor wise, the effect is great, though it bit intense for sessioning purposes.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

I love this beer, when I can get it. It's basically the Flat 12 Half Cycle IPA (which is a solid beer on its own merits) dosed with some blood oranges (juice and peels, I think).

Smell takes on an great fruity, citrus hops then the exotic blood orange character that's intense. The flavor is a little sweeter than the regular Half Cycle, and has a bright, tangerine/grapefruit finish.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

What a great beer. Extremely well balanced. So much so, my girlfriend who NEVER comes home with IPAs because she's not a big hop fan actually surprised me with this growler because it was her favorite on pull that day. It was a miracle.

It pours a hazy amber color with a decent fluffy white head. Decent lacing and a nice ring that wouldn't leave. It's a good looking beer. The smell I think is exceptional. It wins you over with the nose for sure. Lots of citrus, specifically orange. It has an appealing must note to it as well. I don't know if that was by design but I'm glad it's there.

Taste doesn't disappoint either. It's certainly forward on the hops but only the most delicious aspects of hops. Orange is there in force, blood orange specifically, which surprised me in it's effectiveness. I didn't expect to differentiate the blood orange rind from a general taste or orange but it's there. It's very bright although not overly complex.

Bleeding Heart IPA from Flat 12 Bierwerks
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.