2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cucumber Kolsch - Flat 12 Bierwerks

Cucumber KolschCucumber Kolsch

Flat 12 Bierwerks visit their website
Indiana, United States

Kölsch |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BTFU on 06-01-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 12 | Show All Ratings:
AndyYoung-BrewConnoisseur

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up this beer because when I traveled to Germany I stayed in Cologne, also know as Köln. So Kölsch is the style of beer brewed there, drawing interested to me with this specific beer. This style of beer has grown to be one of my favorite due to it's drinkability, and medium body. It looked interesting so I had to pick it up. Overall I liked it. My only problem was I couldn't drink too much of it because the cucumber was overwhelming after about 3-4 beers. But overall it was a good beer that is definitely worth a shot if your looking for something different. One or two beers at a time with this one, I suggest so you can truly appreciate the uniqueness of it.

09-27-2013 16:22:54 | More by AndyYoung-BrewConnoisseur
rlee1390

3.19/5  rDev -2.4%

A-Clear as day light yellow, nicely carbonated, three finger fluffy head.

S-Cucumber. Straw/wheat but mainly just cucumbers.

T-An odd mix of cucumber and wheat. They do not mesh together at all. The cucumber is this harsh salty taste.

M-Light and watery with little carbonation.

O- A bad craft beer.

09-17-2013 14:28:04 | More by rlee1390
BWED

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A-Bright clear yellow with some green highlights. Head is thin and white.

S- Cucumber, some sweetness, with a slight dry straw malt aroma.

T- Straw malt with a dry bitter hop. Cucumber is very prominent.

M- Light. Fizzy carbonation,. Finish is long and bitter and the cucumber is engrained into the palate.

O- Kind of gross. Maybe this would pair well with food, but as a drinking beer, it isn’t good. I think the point of these beers is to bring two things that are refreshing, in their own sense, together, to make ultimate refreshment. But I think it is a complete failure. It destroys that aspect for both parties, and leaves me disgusted.

08-22-2013 02:51:01 | More by BWED
mikedevilsfan

Tennessee

1.08/5  rDev -67%

I love flat 12, but a salty cucumber beer is a bad idea no matter who makes it. After 3 sips this was a drain poor. Avoid for the love of God. Everything else by Flat 12 is stellar, but most vegetables just don't belong in beer. The smell alone will make you want to vomit.

08-01-2013 08:17:48 | More by mikedevilsfan
JohnnyHopps

4.19/5  rDev +28.1%

Only the second cucumber beer I have had behind Cigar City's effort, I definitely prefer this one. From the bottle, the beer pours a golden yellow color with a soft white head. The nose on this one is amazing. A huge dose of summery cucumber dominates. If you have ever had a slice of cucumber in a glass of water at a fancy restaurant, you know how deceivingly potent cucumber can be. In the initial taste, the kolsch is sweet at the front. The carbonation quickly brushes away the sweetness before tart cucumber skin begins to dominate. Notes of sourness and wheat hide in the background. The one negative is that the cucumber may run a little too tart. Overall, this is a great for a hot summer day. It poses an interesting twist on a style that is growing on me.

07-31-2013 00:17:23 | More by JohnnyHopps
Justin_Neff

3.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden, straw colored body. Fizzy head builds and fades quicker than it arose. Mostly translucent body.

S: Lots of sweet cucumber upfront. The sweetness almost comes off as a watermelon fruitiness. Some hay and grass. Very one-dimensional on the nose, but I'm convinced that's what they were going for.

T: Cucumber upfront and cucumber in the finish. With the lack of malt, this is just a notch above cucumber water - as to be expected from the style. There are notes of hay taste in the finish.

M: Light body. Medium carbonation. Standard for a Kolsch.

O: I picked this one up because I was intrigued by a cucumber beer. I wish it were a different style, as I am admittedly not a fan of kolsch beers - generally speaking. Due to the style being bland to start with, the cucumber is a bit overbearing, but I give an "A+" for effort, as Flat 12 definitely achieved what they were going for. Hard to power through six of these, but it were a bomber, I'd be pleased to have purchased.

07-24-2013 01:07:20 | More by Justin_Neff
BarryMFBurton

3.99/5  rDev +22%

I’ve seen fruit/vegetable beers, but never would have dreamed cucumber would make it into a bottle; but I really like this brewery (even though it may be hometown bias), so I’m still hopeful for this one.

A: Body is crystal-clear, pale yellow with an enormous amount of fizz – there are bubbles everywhere. The bright white head that appears is thin and fizzy, but remains at a half-inch for the duration, supported by the rising carbonation.

S: A mellow, inviting cucumber aroma makes up the majority of the nose; smells like you’re walking into a sandwich shop. Totally light in character, what’s left is a clean lager scent of white bread and soft grain husk and some floral hops, which add notes of strawberry and mint. Summer in a glass.

T: Focusing on mild cucumber and fruity hop tones, this palate is as crisp and refreshing as a lightly-dressed salad. Berry tastes, juicy and light, take precedent over a more raw herbal pepper kick, giving this a hop character that’s more sweet than bitter. Finishes like raw greens, leafy and a tad sweet, but with an unmistakable crispness.

M: Carbonation is very soft, barely there save for a bit of sizzle across the tongue as it goes down. Light, light body, but that goes well with cucumber – a refreshing, watery fruit.

O: This beer is great in two ways: it’s easy to get intrigued by, and even easier to enjoy. The flavors represented here are almost never taken advantage of in beer, and in brewing, you always get points for originality – as long as the end product is tasty, that is.

07-23-2013 01:06:24 | More by BarryMFBurton
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

3.66/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a light, straw-like golden color and a small to medium head. The head is frothy with dense, smaller bubbles. Body is very clear, to the point where is looks like a macro light beer in the glass.

S- Light and grassy with definite cucumber tones right up front. Cucumber is very sweet and natural smelling, just like the real thing. Other than the grassy and cucumber notes, there isn't much else going on in the scent.

T- Starts with a fairly strong cucumber flavor. Moves quickly into a light, traditional, grassy kolsch flavor before an even quicker transition into a somewhat dull, malt flavor profile. The malts serve to make the beer feel a little heavier in flavor than the other kolsch flavors. Ends quickly with only a tiny bit of hops bitterness.

M- Light and easy to drink. Slightly less carbonation than one expects in a light bodied kolsch. Quite refreshing for a summer day of lawnmower drinking.

Overall, the cucumber flavor is unique and refreshing. This beer is a good change of pace from other summer fruit beers. Not one that I would seek out, but definitely one I would have again if I ran across it on draft.

07-21-2013 01:50:46 | More by boilermakerbrew
secondtooth

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very light golden, with excellent white foam and thick, Swiss-cheese-like lace.

Nose is light, with a hint of peppery spice somehow. The cucumber is subtle so far.

Taste is a nice balance of herbal cucumber cool and the grainy malts of a typical kolsch. Definitely unusual, but easily a pleasant, enjoyable session brew that I'd have no problem with revisiting. Like.

07-20-2013 18:39:46 | More by secondtooth
tbdkev

4.19/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this at the brewery, and enjoyed it enough to split a sixer with my brother.

A: Gold and crystal clear. This is the first beer I've had in awhile that, on looking at the glass, I can see through to the other side.

A: Cucumber, cucumber, cucumber. I'm a fan of cucumber, but it really takes a moment to digest the fact that this is a beer. As it's said though, "Beer is food."

T: The sweetness and slight saltiness of cucumber is immediately apparent. It fades to a light, fruity hop presence (lime peel?) that sits on the back and sides of the tongue.

M: Like cucumber, light and crisp. The carbonation accents the hop spice that occurs towards the end. The finish itself is slightly dry, but very smooth. The flavor and profile match nicely.

O: I'd add it to my list of favorite summer beers, but I admit it has a taste that'll likely split its target audience. If nothing else, I'd recommend trying it for the novelty.

06-29-2013 00:48:54 | More by tbdkev
Chuckus95

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Beautiful gold color and very clear

S - Dominated by cucumber. No malt or hops detected.

T & M - Nice, light-bodied mouthfeel, but the taste is dominated by cucumber (even more so than the smell). I felt like I was eating a cucumber not drinking a beer.

O - Interesting beer, but they overdid it with the cucumber. I can't imagine drinking more than one of these at a time. If they toned down the cucumber a bit, I think that this would be a very nice summer beer.

06-19-2013 14:10:30 | More by Chuckus95
BTFU

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A nice vibrant gold body with a small, but decent head.

S - The smell of fresh cucumbers definitely stands out with a pilsener-type malt undertone.

T & M - It is amazingly smooth and easy to drink for such a uniquely flavored beer.

O - I was a little hesitant when I first got this, but it was a pleasant surprise. It's nice when stepping outside of your comfort zone gets rewarded.

06-01-2013 13:51:41 | More by BTFU