Brahma - Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

awful

Companhia Cervejaria Brahma visit their website
Brazil

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: soper2000 on 04-28-2005)
2.63/5  rDev +10%

33 cL bottle.

Aroma and visuals are pretty standard fare for a lager. Slightly more amber perhaps in color.

The taste was a little different than what I expected, there's a malty character unlike most of the other lagers I've had. No citrus tones or anything like that, almost a slight nutty/caramel taste to it. While it's pleasant and surprising at first, it lost my interest less than halfway through the bottle.

I do give it points for originality, but overall it's not a beer I'd go for repeatedly.

fullsweep, Jan 24, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +31%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is a half inch white cap which recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of faint bready malt and hints of caramel. The taste is like the aroma, but a little stronger. The finish is a nice lingering light caramel. The mouthfeel is light bodied with lively carbonation. It is nice that the carbonation isn't so high that is masks the taste the way it does for most beers of this style. Overall, this is a pretty good adjunct lager. I could drink this again.

KarlHungus, Jan 08, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -36%

Sugarwater. Yellow fizzy pour. Smell is cotton candy and corn. Taste is not good. Liquid kettle corn. Can't really put this in a category with Mexican or Central American beers as it is that weak. Doesn't come close to other South American beers, such as Xingu. Very weak.

magictrokini, Dec 09, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Gloden and lot's of bubbles, even a little head.

S- Smells like grain and cardboard

T- Not much taste at all, watery grain with a metallic aftertaste

M- Watery

D- Easy to drink except it's boring and overpriced. I paid $2 for a bottle but I won't bother buying it again.

phreak1983, Nov 23, 2008
2.45/5  rDev +2.5%

I tried this after work tonight since my boss lives and dies by it.

Presentation: Drank from 12oz bottle

Appearance: Besides the cool shaped bottle, theres nothing here to jump out of your chair about. Standard "tint yellow" appearance, little to no head, no lacing, why was I expecting that?

Smell: Your standard macro smell here, nothing pops or stands out here at all, grainy and lemon smell, similar to a Corona

Taste: This beer is as meek as all it's other characteristics, this is basically a more watered down Corona, the taste is bearable but not exciting. Strong lemony earth taste as it hits the back of your throat, but thats about as much excitment as this beer can muster

Drinkability: Very drinkable, just wouldn't be able to drink more then 2 since this beer leaves nothing to make me buy it again. Plain, average and boring is the best 3 words I can sum this beer up with. Although it's a good choice for a decent macro, I wouldn't go out of the way to drink this, stick to Corona with a lime.

thespaceman, Oct 14, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Poured a clear bright gold with a compact, sudsy white head that quickly collapsed leaving no visible lacing. Visible carbonation was moderately strong and feverish.

S: light dried lemon-hay notes with some fresh grains.

T: started out spritzy with lemon peels and a touch of dry grains and hay. Was fairly dry in nature overall with a brisk lemon hopping on the finish.

M: seltzer like, with a strong carbonation, edgy feel and active, but light in viscosity and watery for the most part.

D: Relatively non-offending for the most part flavor-wise with the exception of the watery feel and overactive carbonation in the mouthful which hinders the drinkability.

beerthulhu, Sep 20, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a decent golden with a thin fizzy head that doesnt last.

Smells like a typical lager, grainy, corny and tastes somewhat like corona though a bit better.

A velvety mouthfeel, but a terrible finish, I'll never try this again, a good refreshing beer but thats about it.

GodOfBeer, Sep 11, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +27.6%

I have never seen this one in the States, but a friend in Montreal swears by it, so I got a couple while up north last christmas. It's better than Corona, but that's not saying much. And this coming from someone living less than 20 miles from the border. A little better with a lime but not worth seeking out unless it's over 100F. in the shade and you're tired of American lagers like Bud and Coors.

marc956, Aug 29, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -22.6%

I have been spying this at the beer store for ages and finally decided to give it a try. I am sorry that I did, I basically wasted my money and will never buy this again. In fact, it has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks and I really have no intention of drinking any more of it.

This is a terrible beer, do yourself a favor, don't buy this beer!

barleysandwich, Aug 22, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

Had this at Penguin Pizza in Boston, because it's on my Mug Club list.

Pours a clear, goldeny color,with a tiny fizzy head, typical of this type. (Think Bud)

Underwhelming scent of mild grains and malt.

The taste is dominated by the malt(s). There's a slight earthiness to go with the malts and grain. Has mild bitterness in the end. Bitter and grainy, much like my grampa. It goes down smooth enough for the style, which is one of my least favorite. Probably not as terrible as some of the reviews make it seem, but for what it is, it's at least average. Crisp and fairly drinkable. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but not the worst macro lager I've ever had.

WillieMoe, Jul 24, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +90.4%

I have to tell you I rarely make reviews of beers and I was shocked at how poorly this beer was rated. This beer was recommended to me by a fellow "Beer Snob" and I am sure glad they did. I tore through a six pack of this on a sunny day while watching both a baseball game and the Daytona 500. This is a very good Spring / Summer session ale. My first impression was that the beer was similar to a Corona but sweeter. It had a light fruity / floral taste to it. Very smooth drinking. Not bitter at all as stated in some of the previous reviews. Yes the bottle is way cool. I do prefer drinking out of a glass usually so as to get the full effect of the smell and mouthfeel but with the way the bottle felt and how well the drinkability was with this, I did not feel compelled to transfer the brew to a glass. I hope whomever else reads this will give Brahma a try or a second chance for that matter.

cbrown1, Jun 06, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -10.9%

It is of a golden, clean appearance, with few bubbles. One finger of foam. Decent appearance.
In teh smell the typical macro lager notes: malt, some hop, corn. Trivial.
No defect, yes, but also no reason to drink it.
Why have another one?
Banal macro lager.

stcules, May 25, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance : yellow-gold color, medium sized bubbles, white foam head
Smell : No aroma ?
Taste and mouthfeel : malted, no strong flavour
Drinkability : except refreshment, this beer is a bad copy of American macro lager style

thierrynantes, Mar 16, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +21.3%

What can I say about this beer? It's from Brasil... at least they have their own beer, right? (Nod to Frank Zappa...). The packaging is obviously what sells it, and to be honest, I'm fairly impressed. It looks good, and it feels good in the hand. It catches the eye!

Beyond that it's a fairly basic golden lager, although I will note that it's not as clean as it could be.

It pours a clear yellow-gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops relatiely shortly into almost nothing, and leaves behind only minor spots and splashes of lace.

The aroma is surprisingly malty, but with a clear adjunct bent to it, and there are also some grassy and herbal herbal hops present. I didn't detect any diacetyl as has been mentioned in previous reviews, although some dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) is present at low levels. Oddly, or perhaps I should say surprisingly, it was not skunked despite the clear glass bottle. It may be that they're using pre-isomerized hops but I doubt it. I think I just got a good bottle - my sample came through someone in the brewing community, and I suspect that it hadn't gone through the regular distribution channels.

The flavor is as might be expected given the aroma... somewhat sweetish, mildly grainy maltiness with a bit of a toasted, aromatiic malt edge... a firm backing bitterness... some balancing grassy, herbal, and gently spicy hops. It's sweetish, grainy, then hoppy, and finally drying with a smear of hops and a bit of residual bitterness.

Overall, it's an average crisp golden lager that's not as clean as most American versions, but offers a little more character. I find it on par with some of the lesser Euro lagers, but well above many of the eastern European attempts. Not worth seeking out, but if you're in Brazil, hey, what does it matter? - you're in Brazil!!!

NeroFiddled, Dec 29, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer because I have never had anything from Brazil. It is nothing to write home about really. I guess you could chug it down at a party, but its not the slow drinking, sipping, and enjoying kind of beer. I would say it is a little bit better than a Corona. Atleast it is something you don't have to kill with a lime. I guess I would drink it again if someone handed me one. It wasn't a total failure, but was lacking some taste. It kinda reminds me of every run of the mill beer I used to chug in college.

madjr80, Nov 18, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -4.6%

From a clear 33 cl bottle, this brew poured with a nice, fluffy, white head. The color is a thin yellow, and the brew is average in appearance. The aroma is faint to the point of near nonexistence. There's a bit of grain and a distant floral note, but that may be me grasping for any stray scent. The taste has a little malt and corn-like adjunct flavor. It's more flavor than the smell telegraphed. Semi-dry and straightforward. The beer is light and fizzy. Nearly no bitterness, and a watery finish. All in all, it's not exactly 'bad', but drinking this beer certainly isn't a particularly enjoyable experience either.

Suds, Oct 13, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +37.2%

A: Clear with a slight yellow hue; some white head, very little retention or lace.

S: Only a hint of floral hops.

T: Very neutral flavour. Light bitterness, hint of floral hops, slight sweetness from the malt.

M: Light body is pleasantly smooth; moderate carbonation.

D: Not very enticing for a beer guy, but quite drinkable.

Derek, Oct 11, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -15.1%

The appearance is golden but nothing special. I am definately not impressed by the packaging, it sort of reminds me of one of the "beer alternatives", i.e. Mike's Hard (insert appropriate joke here).

The smell is pretty skunky and could be compared to stagnant pool water. Taste is surprisingly better than the aroma would foretell. There is a strange sweetness underlying which does do the Brahma some justice. I believe it would add to the overall experience if it were more prominent. The consistency could best be described as half a beer.

This beer does go down easy but the only way I think I'd drink it is while hanging out with my Brazilian friends... but they all just drink PBR anyway.

KenOnBass, Oct 07, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Looks like slightly colored water. No head, slight bubbling.

S: Terrible. Very bitter, sour smell.

T: Considering the appearance and smell, I was surprised that it wasn't completely terrible. Kind of like a Bud.

M: Bitter.

D: Couldn't have too many of these without throwing up.

I got this beer because it was from Brazil and I've never had a Brazilian beer, and now I've learned my lesson.

Amalak, Oct 06, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +10%

Didn't really mind this one,came in a wierd shaped bottle,kinda like a ergonomically correct bottle or something,maybe better for holding so you don't drop when you had a few too many.
Pours a very weak clear yellow with a good size creamy white head that holds well and some decent lacing.
Aroma was kinda stale grass and corn along with some musty air in there,really has a green smell to it.
Taste was grassy,grainy kinda acidic and sour at the same time,little bitterness and really leaves your mouth dry,has some kinda tangyness to it as it goes down.
High carbs on this one,you can definetly feel it working,kinda makes you feel full.
Overall,not really that bad,drinkable on a hot day,the ladies sure seem to like it,maybe it's the bottle shape? Or maybe the carbs that give it that spritzy feel.

GrimmReaper, Sep 29, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Medium golden colour with a centimetre of white head that falls away very fast.
S - Cereral graininess, some cooked vegie aromas.
T - Quite a sweet pale malt thing going on here. Still pretty crap though.
M - Not water like as expected, a slight bit of body. Fairly high carbonation.
D - On a hot day on a beach on the Atlantic coast of Brazil I guess it'd be OK.

brendan13, Sep 27, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -18.4%

A - Clear straw with not bad head - a good size and pretty sticky with some retention ability.

S - No skunk despite the clear bottle. I guess I got a good one. Still, there's a wierd cigarette smoke smell, feet, and some booziness. The smell on this one is actively unpleasant.

T - Watery with a bland light bitterness. Slightly astringent.

M - Fizzy, Yellow.

D - My bad for pouring it into a glass. Probably a decent thirst quencher if drunk straight from the bottle.

allergictomacros, Sep 06, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

355ml bottle
I tried this beer on August 31, 2007 at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto. The beer poured a translucent gold colour with a white head that disappeared quickly. There was a lot of effervescence. The aroma was very grassy with a hint of both malt and hops. The mouthfeel was crisp and thin with some mild carbonation. The taste was similar to other pale lagers with grassy tones. Another beer I didn't enjoy and would not push onto my friends.

cyrenaica, Sep 01, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

Notes from Seaport Beer Fest 08/11/07

Appearance: Pale as pale gets, yellow hay colour. Medium fluffy head sticks around for a while. Doesn't look that bad actually.

Aroma: Skunky grains, alcohol, some corny adjuncts, sweet, not nice.

Taste: Cereal, toasted wheat with a giant grainy alcohol finish, leaving a terrible taste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light bodied. Low drinkability

Final Statment: Not a nice beer, only 1 of 2 that I poured out at the Seaport Beer Fest. Just a crappy beer from Brazil brought in to grab some of the Corona market. This is a bad product that I just want to go away.

MMansfield, Aug 12, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +0.4%

Pours a golden color with a small amount of creamy white head that fades away pretty quickly but does lace the glass. Smells slightly yeasty, and that's about it. The taste is about the same, slightly yeasty, and that's about it. I can't taste any malt or hop flavor in it. Mouthfeel is a little heavy, and slightly tingly, but mostly watery. Overall, it's pretty drinkable, as it makes no statements.

Kulrak, Aug 12, 2007