Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Brahma - Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

Companhia Cervejaria Brahma visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 04-28-2005

2.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Nothing to see here, just move along.
Sampled while in Chile the last week or so. Went out on a limb for something different, and ended up with Brahma. Much better choices if you happen to actually be in Chile.
You have been warned, don't spend any money or time on this drain pour.

2.15/5  rDev -10.8%

A fairly hefty price for a 6 of these around here, more expensive than any of the local micros. And the woman in their commercial, while they are aiming for sensuality, has far more clothes on than the rest of the Brazilian beers I've seen advertised. Then there's the curiously curved bottle, made for an easier and firmer grip on the bottle I suppose.

Came in a clear 355 ml bottle, 4.8 abv% listed on the neck label, best before date of Feb/27/06 stamped on the shoulder. Pours out a rather pale clear golden colour, but with a decent head that lasted close to a minute, and leaves a bit of lacing. Impressive to see on such a flaccid looking body. Grain and sweet malt can be picked up on the nose, very slight herbal hops well into the background, it doesn't seem very offensive, but also doesn't leave much to go by either. The flavour, however, is very fizzy and watery, only a slight bit of grain can be detected, not much flavour to be detected. In fact I had a couple of these previously right from the bottle, and the flavour seemed to be a bit more off drinking them that way than this almost neutral taste I'm getting from out of the glass. The mouthfeel is also fizzy and thin. Personally I wouldn't be going back for any more of this stuff, especially for the price of it, there's not much of a product here to consume. Generic all the way.

1.9/5  rDev -21.2%

This is one of those beers that is just bottomline ridiculous. Now I like to take an occasional Corona down like the next guy but this beer was like drinking colored water. I could drink a case down and not know the difference. Now someone might ask if I could drink so many what's my problem. My problem is that this beer has no body or texture or distinguishing features. Remember, I'm no beer snob, I love Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer for its drinkabilty but dislike this Brahma for the same reason. If you have to decide between a beer and water then you shouldn't drink that beer.

2.72/5  rDev +12.9%

NOTE: i think that first and foremost you should remember that you're drinking a very very light beer before you go off condemning it. if you don't like drinking light beers don't waste your time trying it.

this poured a very unimpressive light straw yellow with very little head and minimal to no lacing. appears to be piss in a bottle. it had a smell to match. so you can believe that i wasn't very excited to take a sip. i was acutally quite suprised! very very smooth with a tiny bit of taste! there was actually a very small amount of taste to this. not much, but it's there! i was expecting that this was going to be an expensive corona with a bit more taste and i got exactly what i planned on.

would i buy this again? no. would i tell people that it's awful? probablly not, but i would never suggest it to anyone.

2.8/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz clear bottle
Jet ink reading on the side of the bottle: F.30.J.5.2 11:22
Served in a 8 oz glass and from the bottle

Pours a golden shade of yellow. Thin, fizzy off white colored ring for a head. Small carbonation bubbles are rising to the top of the glass.

Bland nose. Some whiffs of corn, grains and rotten fruit. A tad skunky as well.

Sweet and syrupy mouthfeel with most of the flavors coming from corn or rice. Grainy quality with some a slight fruity taste, but overall this is rather watery and bland. Easy to drink on a hot day when you are looking for something thirst quenching, but not a quality beer by any standards.Yet another imported macro brew with not much to offer.

2.59/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer poured a clear golden, no head to speak of.
smell was vague, grainy aroma, made me a bit queasy.
taste was of an average Carribean brew.
mouthfeel was light and watery, tasted a bit flat to me as well.
drinkability is average, might make a decent lawnmower brew, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

2.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Tasted a couple of bottles of this recently. Given to me by my host at a social gathering.

The beer came in a bottle that is flatter left-to-right than front-to-back, if you know what I mean! I was not in a position to pour this brew, but I suspect it would not have made any difference. I think this type of beer is meant to be quaffed in a social setting where you can clink the bottles together.

No particular smell, taste was quite "clean" with a decent freshness. I enjoyed drinking a couple of these, but this is not a drink one would consider ordering in a pub, or even purchasing at your local beer shop for home enjoyment

1.7/5  rDev -29.5%

This must be the Budweiser of South America. I've had tap waters with more flavor. Cool bottles however. I figured at $8.00 per six pack this might be worth a try. It is very light in color and taste ,probably decent on a hot day as a gatorade substitute, but not with food. My advice...if you want
cheap flavorless you need not by an import.

3.29/5  rDev +36.5%

From the bottle, pours golden clear with a white “spit” head that fades quickly, and with no precipitating carbonation. Fruity, appely nose, which is the best part of this otherwise unimpressive beer. Citrus, somewhat acidic taste typical of “Caribbean” beers such as Sol, Corona, etc. Bubbly mouthfeel and a clean finish make it quite drinkable. Largely an unremarkable beer with a citrus twist.

2.9/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours with a bit more color than typical macro lagers. The head is very white but disappears after a few seconds, leaving just wisps on the surface.

There is a bit of hop aroma (Saaz perhaps?) and some sweet malt notes.

The flavor doesn't hold up to the appearance or smell, sadly. It is very light. The flavors aren't bad, they are just too weak.

The body is equally light and watery. The bubbles are nice and fizzy.

I almost would say this is a lawnmower beer, but it doesn't make that cut. There are plenty of beers with more flavor out there. Look elsewhere.

3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a super clear yellow fizz with a short-lived white head, looks like any American mass-market beer.

Smell is clear and strong whiff of diacetyl. Slightly sour smelling and faint herbal hops aroma.

Taste is sweetish with a fairly stout hopping level for the style. Clear flavors of corn and biscuit noticeable butter flavor, again diacetyl.

Mouthfeel is good; carbonation level is a bit high though.

Drinkability is good, but not great. I don't think I would buy this again. The 6 pack cost me $10 and this is not a $10 a sixer beer.

Bizarre looking bottle and a rare brew apparently, so how did it end up at Albertson’s in Lompoc, California? I suspect UFOs were involved.

Bottle says 4.8 % alc/vol. so maybe this has been reformulated.

2.19/5  rDev -9.1%

I'd never seen this brew in Moscow before, so when I stumbled upon it in the town of Serpukhov some 100 kms away, I bought one to bring back. Oddly curved white glass bottle, like the picture, with only a small red neck label. Naturally, since Saturday, I've seen this everywhere in Moscow. What's being pushed here, of course, never saw the light of a Brazilian day, however: it's contract brewed for Sun-Interbrew by the not-so-good folk at Klinskoye, just outside of Moscow. Oh well. Ingredients conform to the purity law. Best before 10/14/05, I opened it on 5/30/05.

Pours a clear pale gold under a 1.5 finger white head with surprisingly good retention, even mustering a few drops of lace. The head is thin in consistency, but just doesn't see to want to go away. The nose is typical macro: corn, rice, perhaps some stale break, but all not particularly pleasant. The mouth is thin and quite prickly. Taste? Not really. Some corn and/or stale rice, no hops, lots of water. Sure, it's clean. Who wants clean. Next!

2.06/5  rDev -14.5%

When I first read about the merger of Interbrew and Ambev, I couldn't wait to have a taste of the Brazilian beers. Interbrew and Ambev made a (test case) agreement to exchange an equal number of bottles Stella-Artois against Brahma. And distribute them on there home market, being Belgium and Brazil. At the moment you can buy the Brahma beer in Leuven and I have been tasting them a few times now. I didn't write a review after my first bottle because I thought I might have had a bad bottle. But after a few bottles, I have to conclude that This beer is not the beer we over here call beer.
It has a very deep yellowish colour. A bit like piss. It has hardly any taste. I tastes like your average Pilsner but with 50% water. And it has no carbonation. Do I have to tell you that it hardly has any head.
I was happy when I had the chance to taste a beer from a country I might never visit in my lifetime. But now that I had the possibility, I'm not really unhappy about it. The beer might be crap, but now I know this because I had the opportunity to taste it my self. I had the same thing when I first tasted Budweiser. A lot of people had already told me that it was crap. But now that I had a go myself, I know it isn't a very good beer.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Brahma from Companhia Cervejaria Brahma