Join our email list →

Brazil | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.60% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 04-28-2005

OK... why not?

Appearance: very pale gold/yellow, flacid layer of white spittle-like foam that slowly fades out of existance

Aroma: like Corona with a little Heineken drizzled into it (can't get any more descriptive than that)

Flavor: soft sweetness with a touch of grain in the background; canned pineapple fruitiness; hint of iron; finishes semi-dry with a "beer-like" aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, pin-prick carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: Tesco (a supermarket) dropped the price of a twelve-pack of Brahma from £9.99 to £4.99 because they weren't selling. Looks like it's time for me to try this latest atrocity from InBev (I was very pleased to see that they had to severely slash the price to make it sell). I can now confirm that it is not worth the time, money, effort, and pollution to import something like this to ANY country that has plenty of good beer made within its shores. Keep this crap in Brazil! Having said that, it's drinkable on a hot day if you get it nice and cold.

2.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer because I have never had anything from Brazil. It is nothing to write home about really. I guess you could chug it down at a party, but its not the slow drinking, sipping, and enjoying kind of beer. I would say it is a little bit better than a Corona. Atleast it is something you don't have to kill with a lime. I guess I would drink it again if someone handed me one. It wasn't a total failure, but was lacking some taste. It kinda reminds me of every run of the mill beer I used to chug in college.

2.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a clear gold with a good head and decent carbonation. Looks a lot better than it does in the hideous clear bottle for sure. Decent lace--better than avg here.

Smell is somewhat unpleasant. Elements of corn and grass --doesnt even have the ballpark swill smell which does have some endearing quality to it. It is almost vinous which is absolutely disgusting for a beer in this category.

Taste is not quite a drain pour but lets face it--its not real good. PBR, Coors original or Yuengling are much better than this from a macro standpoint.

This might be good on a really hot day as it is light and watery and thats when these type beers taste better but I would still avoid.

2.45/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12fl.oz.clear bottle pours gold with a disappearing white bubble head, lace= none. Not much in the way of carbonation, a few bubbles rising.

Sweet grainy pale malt nose with a green, grassy hop hint. Smells a bit like piss.

Bready malt, faintly sweet with yeast and green grassy hops that bitter your tongue in the finish. Flavor is ok, but very short lasting.

Light body with a rather thin, watery mouthfeel and that fizz on the tongue thing.

Very much an American macro, not much going on with this one.

2.45/5  rDev +1.7%

I tried this after work tonight since my boss lives and dies by it.

Presentation: Drank from 12oz bottle

Appearance: Besides the cool shaped bottle, theres nothing here to jump out of your chair about. Standard "tint yellow" appearance, little to no head, no lacing, why was I expecting that?

Smell: Your standard macro smell here, nothing pops or stands out here at all, grainy and lemon smell, similar to a Corona

Taste: This beer is as meek as all it's other characteristics, this is basically a more watered down Corona, the taste is bearable but not exciting. Strong lemony earth taste as it hits the back of your throat, but thats about as much excitment as this beer can muster

Drinkability: Very drinkable, just wouldn't be able to drink more then 2 since this beer leaves nothing to make me buy it again. Plain, average and boring is the best 3 words I can sum this beer up with. Although it's a good choice for a decent macro, I wouldn't go out of the way to drink this, stick to Corona with a lime.

2.43/5  rDev +0.8%

Overall I was not impressed with Brahma. I must say I do prefer the Brahma Extra (whatever that means) to this one. Really this beer has no smell or taste, if anything it's bread flavored water...and a carbonated alternative to soda on hot days in Brazil. I really can't say much more other than this stuff is EVERYwhere...there's no escaping it's blandness.

If you must drink Brahma, try to go for the "Extra". Extra what though?

2.41/5  rDev 0%

Pours a golden color with a small amount of creamy white head that fades away pretty quickly but does lace the glass. Smells slightly yeasty, and that's about it. The taste is about the same, slightly yeasty, and that's about it. I can't taste any malt or hop flavor in it. Mouthfeel is a little heavy, and slightly tingly, but mostly watery. Overall, it's pretty drinkable, as it makes no statements.

2.38/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

another in a long long list of bbq/lawnmowing beers. you can find better, you can find cheaper, you can find better and cheaper. if i was in south america i would get it again. here there are too many better alternatives.

that being said it is not bad. adjunct. poured golden with good carbonation. decent smell of grains. taste is much the same. nothing to write home about. no lace.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.36/5  rDev -2.1%

should score points on the ergonomic bottle design

average looking lager...bone white head that receded quite quickly to a very thin white ring. Weak lacing

not getting a lot nasal wise..some weak grainy malt and some adjuncts...maybe corn..?

faint bready malt and sweetness from corn adjuncts no doubt. Found the finish to be fairly dry.

thin and quite watery mouthfeel

Did I mention the cool bottle? Good. Because that's about all this beer has going for it vs. the cost. No wonder Molson had to climb into bed with Coors after they bought into this dog.

2.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a straw-gold color with a very thin head into my pint glass. Carbonation seems average.

Aroma is full of corn with a tad bit of bitterness in the nose. Seems par the course.

Taste is watery and thin upfront with corn and a lot of sweetness. Inoffensive. Hops show up but not much to begin with.

Mouthfeel is full of corn, sweetness and typical adjunct flavor. Nothing to behold here.

Inoffensive and nothing more. You can drink it but I'm certainly not impressed by it. It is what it is though.

2.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A very basic beer, nominally drinkable. Some foam, ligh yellow body. Light mouthfeel. Only slightly acidic for macro. Emergency thirstquencher. Corny sweetness. Some kind of marginal bitterness. Sweet and not too sweet. Brazil version for Canadian market.

2.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Poured a clear bright gold with a compact, sudsy white head that quickly collapsed leaving no visible lacing. Visible carbonation was moderately strong and feverish.

S: light dried lemon-hay notes with some fresh grains.

T: started out spritzy with lemon peels and a touch of dry grains and hay. Was fairly dry in nature overall with a brisk lemon hopping on the finish.

M: seltzer like, with a strong carbonation, edgy feel and active, but light in viscosity and watery for the most part.

D: Relatively non-offending for the most part flavor-wise with the exception of the watery feel and overactive carbonation in the mouthful which hinders the drinkability.

2.24/5  rDev -7.1%

From a clear 33 cl bottle, this brew poured with a nice, fluffy, white head. The color is a thin yellow, and the brew is average in appearance. The aroma is faint to the point of near nonexistence. There's a bit of grain and a distant floral note, but that may be me grasping for any stray scent. The taste has a little malt and corn-like adjunct flavor. It's more flavor than the smell telegraphed. Semi-dry and straightforward. The beer is light and fizzy. Nearly no bitterness, and a watery finish. All in all, it's not exactly 'bad', but drinking this beer certainly isn't a particularly enjoyable experience either.

2.23/5  rDev -7.5%

Found this beer in Ecuador on my way to the Galapagos Islands. Texture is light and gold, fizzy head with minimal smells except for that of grain. Taste is light, really similar to MGD almost as if they copied the same recipe. It goes down smooth enough but its entirely forgetful as a beer. Other than being exotic this beer doesn't do much for me.

2.21/5  rDev -8.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pale gold with stark white head that completely recedes.

Smell: Mostly dry (thankfully), light malt and slight spicy hops. Not bad, but wait a minute, where has the smell gone? Completely absent two minutes after pouring.

Taste: Not too much. Slightly sweet, maybe a touch of corn. Also maybe the tiniest touch of hops noticeable at the end. Maybe.

Feel: Highly carbonated (but not as bad as Budweiser), very light.

Drinkability: Easy to quaff but unless you are visiting Brazil, why bother?

Actually, I did drink this on draft in Sao Paulo a few years back. The waitress will automatically refill your glass from the pitcher when empty. They lay an extra coaster down next to your glass to keep track of your refills. They will endlessly refill unless you place a coaster on top of your glass to stop them. It is actually kind of fun, and at only $2 a fill, not too bad. Plus it was the ONLY beer in the bar. Overall, much better experience than just pouring from the bottle in the good ole US of A. Of course, it really didn't taste any better there.

2.2/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer was a deep yellow lager with a half finger head that disappeared very quickly. No retention.

The aroma was of skunky hops and grains, with a hint of bitterness. Nothing spectacular.

Taste was sweet, with almost no other flavors, with the merest hint of hops.

Mouthfeel was water-thin, but not offensive.

Drinkability was surprisingly average... I thought it would be lower, but compared to other macros, this one went down easily with no offensive aftertaste.

2.2/5  rDev -8.7%

Brahma pours a pale orange with a small, white head from a clear, oddly shaped twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is grainy and perhaps a bit sweet. Taste is on the grainy side, a bit sweet and some cooked vegetable flavor. There are way better options out there.

2.19/5  rDev -9.1%

I'd never seen this brew in Moscow before, so when I stumbled upon it in the town of Serpukhov some 100 kms away, I bought one to bring back. Oddly curved white glass bottle, like the picture, with only a small red neck label. Naturally, since Saturday, I've seen this everywhere in Moscow. What's being pushed here, of course, never saw the light of a Brazilian day, however: it's contract brewed for Sun-Interbrew by the not-so-good folk at Klinskoye, just outside of Moscow. Oh well. Ingredients conform to the purity law. Best before 10/14/05, I opened it on 5/30/05.

Pours a clear pale gold under a 1.5 finger white head with surprisingly good retention, even mustering a few drops of lace. The head is thin in consistency, but just doesn't see to want to go away. The nose is typical macro: corn, rice, perhaps some stale break, but all not particularly pleasant. The mouth is thin and quite prickly. Taste? Not really. Some corn and/or stale rice, no hops, lots of water. Sure, it's clean. Who wants clean. Next!

2.18/5  rDev -9.5%

A very pale straw colored beer, some white head and some lacing.

Very weak smell, slightly sour and sweet.

Sweetish, very distinct corn taste, some acidity. nearly no bitterness.

Little carbonation, rather refresh to drink.

A very canoe type of beer.

2.17/5  rDev -10%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass may30 2010

A clear pale straw yellow with very little carbonation and no head or lace

S some sweet grains and a touch skunk

T again a little sweet malts with some sour skunky flavor that's not all that nice

M watery but more carbonation then what you could see in the glass

D nothing special going on here, I wouldn't bother if I was you

I don't see myself drinking this again, another beer that would be cheap to make yet costs a lot of money

2.16/5  rDev -10.4%

The pale yellow Brazilian Brahma was introduced in the Swedish market in 2006. It pours with a finger of foam. The beer does not have much smell except a suspicios whiff of macro lager. The taste is sweetish and watery with a fizzy mouthfeel. Not much to hang in the X-mas tree, as we say in Sweden.

2.15/5  rDev -10.8%

A fairly hefty price for a 6 of these around here, more expensive than any of the local micros. And the woman in their commercial, while they are aiming for sensuality, has far more clothes on than the rest of the Brazilian beers I've seen advertised. Then there's the curiously curved bottle, made for an easier and firmer grip on the bottle I suppose.

Came in a clear 355 ml bottle, 4.8 abv% listed on the neck label, best before date of Feb/27/06 stamped on the shoulder. Pours out a rather pale clear golden colour, but with a decent head that lasted close to a minute, and leaves a bit of lacing. Impressive to see on such a flaccid looking body. Grain and sweet malt can be picked up on the nose, very slight herbal hops well into the background, it doesn't seem very offensive, but also doesn't leave much to go by either. The flavour, however, is very fizzy and watery, only a slight bit of grain can be detected, not much flavour to be detected. In fact I had a couple of these previously right from the bottle, and the flavour seemed to be a bit more off drinking them that way than this almost neutral taste I'm getting from out of the glass. The mouthfeel is also fizzy and thin. Personally I wouldn't be going back for any more of this stuff, especially for the price of it, there's not much of a product here to consume. Generic all the way.

2.13/5  rDev -11.6%

It is of a golden, clean appearance, with few bubbles. One finger of foam. Decent appearance.
In teh smell the typical macro lager notes: malt, some hop, corn. Trivial.
No defect, yes, but also no reason to drink it.
Why have another one?
Banal macro lager.

2.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Remember when InBev spent a ridiculous amount of money acquiring this brand and then marketed the crap out of it in North America (as, like, a Corona competitor) and it flopped?

I suspect one of the reasons that happened is that this stuff is arguably even worse than Corona. Corona is at least tasteless, where as this has a taste--it's just a borderline offensive one.

2.06/5  rDev -14.5%

When I first read about the merger of Interbrew and Ambev, I couldn't wait to have a taste of the Brazilian beers. Interbrew and Ambev made a (test case) agreement to exchange an equal number of bottles Stella-Artois against Brahma. And distribute them on there home market, being Belgium and Brazil. At the moment you can buy the Brahma beer in Leuven and I have been tasting them a few times now. I didn't write a review after my first bottle because I thought I might have had a bad bottle. But after a few bottles, I have to conclude that This beer is not the beer we over here call beer.
It has a very deep yellowish colour. A bit like piss. It has hardly any taste. I tastes like your average Pilsner but with 50% water. And it has no carbonation. Do I have to tell you that it hardly has any head.
I was happy when I had the chance to taste a beer from a country I might never visit in my lifetime. But now that I had the possibility, I'm not really unhappy about it. The beer might be crap, but now I know this because I had the opportunity to taste it my self. I had the same thing when I first tasted Budweiser. A lot of people had already told me that it was crap. But now that I had a go myself, I know it isn't a very good beer.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Brahma from Companhia Cervejaria Brahma