Brahma - Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

Brazil

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 04-28-2005

1.7/5  rDev -28.3%

This must be the Budweiser of South America. I've had tap waters with more flavor. Cool bottles however. I figured at $8.00 per six pack this might be worth a try. It is very light in color and taste ,probably decent on a hot day as a gatorade substitute, but not with food. My advice...if you want
cheap flavorless you need not by an import.

1.71/5  rDev -27.8%

Almost a copy paste of other mass Brazilian lagersPale yellow color. Head dissipates quickly. Smells mostly grains other than barley-malt and metalic, dependant on temperature.
Tastes lager with just a small hint of hops and  addition of water. Taste is also not consistent on different temperatures, as it warms up gets a little metalic. Some unpleasant sweetness from cheap cereals, and a little funky aftertaste.
Beer to drink close to freeze temperatures, to hightlight refreshness from its lightness and high carbonation. The tap chopp version , specially the dark one tastes much better, probably given its freshness. I guess aging is a killer for those type of pseudo pilseners.
Intersting that I have the impression that Brazilians slams this beer more than others, probably given the exotic effect are nule to them (including this brazuca one).

1.75/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a small head that disappeared very quickly. Aroma of corn is quite evident and not that pleasant. Taste is your typical South American pale lager with lots of corn. At least the clear bottle was not skunked. Mostly boring and watery but not offensive in any way and definitely not something I will seek again.

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%

appearance - Clear gold color, not much head unless you shake the bottle and pout it. Head is carbinated so it will disapear to little or nothing.

smell - Grainy, like a common macro lager.

taste - Grains, and corn taste here.

mouthfeel - Light body and carbinated.

drinkability - If you have like 15 BA reviews, then you must drink real beer. Stay away from any Macro Lager. I think I just learned. Water, light, not much taste going on. Wouldn't buy again.

1.79/5  rDev -24.5%

Notes from Seaport Beer Fest 08/11/07

Appearance: Pale as pale gets, yellow hay colour. Medium fluffy head sticks around for a while. Doesn't look that bad actually.

Aroma: Skunky grains, alcohol, some corny adjuncts, sweet, not nice.

Taste: Cereal, toasted wheat with a giant grainy alcohol finish, leaving a terrible taste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light bodied. Low drinkability

Final Statment: Not a nice beer, only 1 of 2 that I poured out at the Seaport Beer Fest. Just a crappy beer from Brazil brought in to grab some of the Corona market. This is a bad product that I just want to go away.

1.84/5  rDev -22.4%

1.85/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Looks like slightly colored water. No head, slight bubbling.

S: Terrible. Very bitter, sour smell.

T: Considering the appearance and smell, I was surprised that it wasn't completely terrible. Kind of like a Bud.

M: Bitter.

D: Couldn't have too many of these without throwing up.

I got this beer because it was from Brazil and I've never had a Brazilian beer, and now I've learned my lesson.

1.85/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours from a clear, swoopy sided 12 oz bottle. Nasty urine yellow with almost no head. Smells really bad, I thought it was skunky. I even tried another a couple weeks later from a different batch, same result is bad. Body is really flat, even though there were lots of quickly fading bubbles. Mild, sweet malt-and-corn skunk flavor. This beer is certainly crap and ranks as one of my worst pours.

1.86/5  rDev -21.5%

A - When served in Brazil, it is custom to dump the beer into the glass from several inches above the rim instead of letting it roll down the side of a slanted glass for example. Even with this pouring technique there is no head retention and zero lacing.

S - Skunk like smell with no appeal.

T - Water taste with a hint of bad.

M - Heavy carbonation (yet no head retention). Large/coarse mouth-feel.

D - If you needed to get drunk on cheap beer you might be able to do so with this beer if you can get past the initial horrible smell.

1.88/5  rDev -20.7%

12 oz. bottle brought back from a friend visiting Mexico.

Pours a pale, pale yellow colored liquid. Looks extremely watery. Has a very thin white head.

Smells like corn and little else.

Tastes a bit sweet and watery. There is a definite corn presence to this beer. A bit of unpleasant bitterness completes the swallow.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp and very thin.

Overall this is a typical macro. I could see swilling these on a warm day in South America. That is provided there is no palatable water, Coke or something else.

1.89/5  rDev -20.3%

I have been spying this at the beer store for ages and finally decided to give it a try. I am sorry that I did, I basically wasted my money and will never buy this again. In fact, it has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks and I really have no intention of drinking any more of it.

This is a terrible beer, do yourself a favor, don't buy this beer!

1.9/5  rDev -19.8%

Described on menu as "Full Bodied Brazilian Beer " at a local Mexican place.
No head...no fizz...gold.
Very little smell ...kind of grainy.
Taste....watery , thin canned corn leftover water. A little sweet.
Mouthfeel very low..almost no carbonation.
Why would someone even think to import this stuff ??

1.9/5  rDev -19.8%

A: This beer pours very light-coloured (remainds me of very light german white wine) with a white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: At first I didn't smell anything but when I really consentrated there was faint floral hops.

T: Some floral hops, some fruit (citrus) and some malt - not much of anything but better than the apperance and smell indicated. Almost no aftertaste.

M: Carbonic acids - small bubbles, and lots of 'em. Otherwise is this a lightbodied beer.

D: This isn't very interesting - you get something that quenches your thirst, but not much else.

1.9/5  rDev -19.8%

This is one of those beers that is just bottomline ridiculous. Now I like to take an occasional Corona down like the next guy but this beer was like drinking colored water. I could drink a case down and not know the difference. Now someone might ask if I could drink so many what's my problem. My problem is that this beer has no body or texture or distinguishing features. Remember, I'm no beer snob, I love Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer for its drinkabilty but dislike this Brahma for the same reason. If you have to decide between a beer and water then you shouldn't drink that beer.

1.94/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Clear straw with not bad head - a good size and pretty sticky with some retention ability.

S - No skunk despite the clear bottle. I guess I got a good one. Still, there's a wierd cigarette smoke smell, feet, and some booziness. The smell on this one is actively unpleasant.

T - Watery with a bland light bitterness. Slightly astringent.

M - Fizzy, Yellow.

D - My bad for pouring it into a glass. Probably a decent thirst quencher if drunk straight from the bottle.

Brahma from Companhia Cervejaria Brahma