Brahma Malzbier - Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

poor

Companhia Cervejaria Brahma visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2003)
Reviews by WoodBrew:
2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I am not a Malzbier fan....so this rating maybe a bit lopsided and not truely representative of the beer. I tasted Brahma Dark Chopp whilst in Campinas and it wasn't bad....just not a fan.

A-4 dark ruby amber with generous frothy head
S-2 nothing maybe touch of grain
T-3 has a sweetness to it. No grainyness.
M-3 too sweet for me one is enough

WoodBrew, May 28, 2011

The sweetness masks the metal enough, but I believe you can not spend a can / bottle due to enjoamento. No bitterness, unbalancing it. Crystal loses that, it seems, is the best popular Malzbier currently on the market.

denisconrado, Sep 22, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +63.8%

I had a few bottles during a seafood dinner when visiting Florianopolis, Brazil. I am not really a fan of Malzbier but this is a decent beer in the Malzbier category so I have to give it a grade with that in mind.

A: Very Dark, light carbonated with not much of a head but a small foamy creamy tan head.

S: fruity and very sweet caramel aroma

T: Like any Malzbier, this is malt beer with slow and sparse fermentation due to the yeast being added at very low temperatures to keep it sweet and with low ABV. So it accomplishes what is meant to accomplish: a beer that has a caramelized sugar, chocolaty, and fruity taste to it which is almost soda like but with an extremelly suttle hoppy bitterness as its suttle aftertaste.

MF: fairly strong bodied with very low carbonation

D: This beer goes down pretty smoothly and I can drink a ton of it in one sitting. It satisfies my own sweet tooth, like a sweet treat, but I can see how this beer is not for everybody.

Malzbier is meant to be a "starter beer" for people trying beer for the first time. So it is usually low (to almost no) alcohol and very sweet due to its fermentation process. This brand almost reaches 4.0% ABV which is pretty high comparing with traditional German malzbier. So, for its kind, this malzbier does what it is trying to accomplish. It is a decent drikable beer when
compared to other beers in its own category.

MrWiggles, Apr 08, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

That beer is a lager beer with addition of caramel colorant and sugar syrup after filtration. Dark, sweet in taste, caramel aroma (not from malt), with no significant foam. Another commercial lager with nothing special. Their brazilian competitors probably are made the same way.

schiaveto, May 01, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Same story as the Brahma Chopp, brought back from Brazil by my Bro-in-law. The name suggested a MaltBeer but it tasted more like a cola to me. Smell was fruity, with slight chocolate. The head was small and dissipated quickly. Taste was strange. At first it was very light with a bit of (please laugh becuase this IS funny) Grape Nehigh (SP?). After the initial shock of soda in the beer a very thick syrup came and was just too much. I didn't finish this.

Ahhdball, Dec 31, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -5.2%

Flavio_Gama, Sep 13, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -3%

woscar, Sep 24, 2013
2.83/5  rDev +22%

A- One finger of fast deep brown head. Very dark black body, typical of a shwartzbier.

S- Caramel sweetness with some ethanol. Not too powerful but what's there is good.

T- Extreme sweetness with hardly any bitterness to cancel that out. Malty toward end with mollasses.

M- Thick, but clean. Leaves a lace on the palate.

D- pretty easy actually, especially for a darker beer.

cambabeer, May 12, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I had never tasted or heard about a Malzbier before so I didn't know what to expect, and that's why I orderd it.

When the bootle arrived on my table I realized it was a dark beer. Until there everything was good, my expectatons where good. Then I started pooring it into a pilsner glass and saw its brownish appearence, thouth it was strange but OK. After that I noticed that there was very little head or close to nothing and started to get worried.

Could really smell anything, a bit of caramel maybe. Well, the caramel confirmed itself, the beer was very sweet and reminded my of cherry coke, but without the sparkling.

It was so sweet that I had to stop drinking it half way down.

ruythalacker, Aug 20, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +53%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At the same Restaurant Café cum Bar on the Avenue Atlântica in Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, where I had decided to call in for some food and tried the “Chopp da Brahma” on draft, I also spotted a bottled beer listed as just “Malzbier (dark)”, so I figured I would give it a go. No surprise then when it arrived that it was from the same Brahma Brewery as the previous beer. Had a twist cap that the waiter had (laughingly) immense problems removing with a bottle opener at the table; they don’t sell many of these here I thought to myself.

Presentation: Very dark looking beer, which poured with little carbonation and a small rim like brown head at first. The head soon disappeared completely, only returning when I topped up my small-ish 250ml glass from the larger bottle; though at times the head would completely disappear to reveal a dark flat Pepsi look. I also noted that the Sell-by-Date was 24-06-03, so it was a few months past its legal tender date, reinforcing my initial thoughts that this is a low-volume seller, but I don’t think this detracted from the beers usual standing.

Nose: Very sweet, yet quite intriguing and strangely appealing, well strangely because I do not usually take to sweet beers normally. Not sickly, but it had a kind of dark fruit odor mixed in with the sweet chocolate malts – rather nice actually.

Taste: As expected from the nose, but not the name, this is really a sweet stout. Sweet and smooth malts that are never sickly, but not quite clean, nor precise, slightly cloying at times, but in a nice caramel way.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with a caramel creaminess that reminds me of English Cadburys Milk Chocolate. Not that bad actually.

Drinkability: I don’t normally like “sweet beers”, so I have to admit somewhat reservedly that I rather liked this offering. Or was it the fact that it actually offered flavor in the face of the deluge of bland euro-lagers that are normally found in Brazil? Who knows? Even so, I am not sure I could drink more than say One, or even maybe Two, bottles of this.

Overall: Above average, a rare-ish dark beer from Brazil, and a reasonably good attempt at a smooth Sweet Stout.

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 30, 2003

Socialiste, Jun 12, 2014
2.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Brahma malzbier

2.5 black brown head, minimal carb and leaves lace

3 sweet
strong syrup and ethanol smell,

honey brown sugar ethanol don't know mucha botu schwartzbeir but it's more bitter than the other one I had, significantly, yet not very bitter and what ever bitter ness it does have is far overpowerd by the sweetness

3very smooth minimal carb.

cervezango, Mar 17, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -50.4%

Ah yes, the highly anticipated Brahma Malzbier. I´ve heard that malzbier is a very sweet, low alcohol dark beer found exclusively in Brazil. I shall experiment with it. On to the beer:

It´s dark like black ink, but with a glow of orange at the bottom of the glass. It leaves a little lacing and has a satisfactory head. The apperarance is the absolute zenith of this beer. If you don´t want to read the horrors, skip the next paragraph.

I was surprised when I found next to nothing in the aroma. There´s maybe a little bit of iron, but that´s it. There´s no joy in the aroma. And while there´s joy in the taste, it´s not the good kind. It´s the kind that scares you for life. Unbelievably sweet. I mean, what is this, Coca-Cola gone wrong? Take that, and adds lots of lots of sugar. And there´s nothing else to taste. Very light in the body, but that sweetness makes me want to cut off my mouth.

I consider myself to have a sweet tooth, but this is far beyond my limits. If I were tasting this blind, I would have said soda pop. An absolute mess; now I´m scared of tasting Antarctica Malzbier, which I have in my queue.

DoubleJ, Nov 30, 2009
1.96/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Deep black color with a beige head with medium retention.
Faint aroma of sweet caramel.
Predominant overly sweet flavor of burnt sugar, no bitterness what so ever to balance it out.
Medium body with low carbonation.
This is one of the worst malzbiers in the market given its extreme sweetness and I don't even have a new born to give milk (if it really helps its production as people saying).

FLima, May 19, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -49.1%

A: dark brown with no head at all.

S: Nowhere to be found, maybe a little caramel syrup.

T: Sweet, low carbonation = Coke without gas.

M: Sweet, sweet and thats all.

O: I not sure if it could be considered as a beer, To me it is a alcoholic refrigerant.

RaphaelSC, Jun 01, 2013
2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

The other dark beer in Brazil, Brahma Malzbier. The label says cerveja forte escura, dark strong beer, with caramel flavoring added. It poured with a tan head that quickly disappeared, the body was dark black with ruby highlights. Sweet caramel and cherry smell. Sweet but not cloying taste, more cherry and caramel. The body is like a cola, very carbonated and light. Easy drinking, but not much beer flavor more like a beer with some flavoring added, stick with the Xingu when in Brazil.

orsulacp, Dec 13, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -39.7%

355ml bottle served with an ordinary glass.

A: Pours a brown color (which is actually, a dark amber if you put it against the light). Forms a medium sized bubbled and beoge head. Low retention and some lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Sweet caramel and roasted malts. A bit earthy. Very mild

T: Sweet upfont. As a matter of fact, too sweet. Dominated by sweet caramel, toffee and roasted malts. IMHO, a sweet beet like this should be forbidden

M: Light but molasses body. Medium to low carbonation. Caramel aftertaste

O: Low drinkability. Just terrible. Please don't drink it

eduardolinhalis, Jul 17, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +69.4%

350 mL can, courtesy of DoubleJ,

A: Pours black with a fizzy light brown head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Lightly sweet, some cola, dark malt. Mild smell, but pleasant.

T: It's got an interesting flavour, not unlike a Coke. But it's quite tasty. It's not overcloyingly malty like it could be. A beer Coke, why not.

M: Light-bodied, quite smooth, somewhat fizzy.

D: Sometimes you really have to throw expectations out the window. The D+ score made me not expect much, but for my palate this is pretty darn good. Got to revisit it if I'm ever in Brazil. Jon's joke beer has got me wanting more.

Halcyondays, Oct 26, 2010